Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare motorcycle insurance in Virginia
This colonial state has a history of low-cost bike insurance, but also theft.
Virginia keeps basic insurance requirements and middle-of-the-road accident risk, all leading to the state’s low average premiums. Virginia also offers a wide selection of insurers, since many of the big names and regional insurers are available here.
Motorcycle insurance providers in Virginia
Average motorcycle insurance in Virginia
The state average bike insurance premium of $470 per year falls below the national average of $518. Riders may pay a lower premium because Virginia has fewer bike fatalities than other states, according to a 2017 NHTSA motorcycle statistics report.
Minimum motorcycle insurance requirements in Virginia
Always the median, Virginia has pretty standard insurance requirements, including:
- $25,000 for bodily injuries per person
- $50,000 for bodily injuries per accident
- $20,000 for property damage per accident
However, Virginia is unique in that it allows all vehicle owners, including bike owners, to pay an uninsured driver fee of $500 if they don’t want to carry coverage. The fee doesn’t endorse riding without insurance but allows riders to operate their motorcycle uninsured at their own risk. If you go the uninsured route, you’ll be responsible for the costs in an accident.
How can I save on motorcycle insurance in Virginia?
Discover ways to save on your bike policy:
- Garage your bike. Virginia has its fair share of motorcycle theft. To prevent yours from getting stolen and receive savings on comprehensive coverage, store your bike in a garage or enclosed space.
- Take a bike safety course. This state stands in the middle for bike fatalities, making it just as important to get defensive riding training so you can steer clear of accidents.
- Revamp your bike with safety features. This small state has a variety of attractive riding terrain: beaches, mountains and city streets. If you plan to explore or commute regularly, consider adding features like antilock brakes or airbags and using protective gear for added safety and discounts.
Even if you pick a quick option to get you on the road, you’ll likely have a low premium in Virginia. But consider multiple insurers for their coverage, value and discounts to make sure you get the best protection for your situation.
Frequently asked questions about Virginia motorcycle insurance
More guides on Finder
Lemonade car insurance review for 2021
Safe drivers and electric car owners could see cheap rates, but its claims process isn’t perfect.
How much does umbrella insurance cost?
Get a low-cost policy for liability expenses that exceed your car or home insurance coverage.
Best umbrella insurance
Receive extra liability coverage with an umbrella policy from these top insurers, though they may require you to have car insurance through them.
Guardian vision insurance review May 2021
Get a generous allowance to put towards contact lenses or frames with this plan.
Millions of Americans are eligible for healthcare savings under the American Rescue Plan
The bill opens up cheaper health insurance for low- and middle-income families as well as laid-off workers.
Worst drivers by state in 2021
TBH, we’re a bit surprised.
Guardian dental insurance review 2021
This insurer has four dental plans to choose from — compare costs and features now.
Lemonade life insurance review
This fintech just branched out into low-cost life insurance — but its lineup is limited.
Life insurance wellness programs
Get an incentive to meet your existing health and fitness goals with a discounted premium.
Combined life insurance review May 2021
Find unusually low face values for a whole life policy, ideal for supplemental insurance.
Ask an Expert