Midnight Prepaid Visa RushCard review
The Midnight Prepaid Visa RushCard provides access to some of the benefits of a traditional credit card to those who don't qualify for credit.
The Prepaid Visa RushCard is not a credit card or a line of credit. It is a prepaid card that you load with your funds. However, if you are unable to obtain a credit card, this card allows you to make purchases anywhere that Visa is accepted, and is also online-friendly. As a cardholder, you can pay bills online through Online Bill Pay, and utilize the free mobile app.
Monthly fee with a direct deposit
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
As the assistant publisher of banking and investing at finder.com, Ryan Brinks melds more than a decade of experience in business news and online content into creating comprehensive and helpful comparisons of the companies you trust your money with. He loves to innovate and put money to work while keeping a careful eye on managing risk. Beyond work, Ryan's also passionate about his family and serving his community.
If you’re looking for a prepaid card with no minimum balance or credit check, the Midnight Prepaid Visa RushCard could be worth looking into. The card offers direct deposit, security policies and purchase protections.
But you’ll want to keep an eye on the fees it comes with because they can add up fast with this card.
RushCard offers a choice of two plans:
- The Unlimited plan.
Allows you an unlimited number of purchases for a monthly fee of $7.95, or $5.95 if you enroll in direct deposit.
- The Pay As You Go plan.
You forgo the monthly charge, but pay $1 for each purchase you make.
- Product name. Midnight Prepaid Visa RushCard
- Issuing bank. MetaBank, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A Inc.
- Daily ATM withdrawal limit. $5,000
Fees you can expect
- One-time card fee. $3.95
- Out-of-network ATM withdrawal fee. $3
- Unlimited Plan monthly fee. $7.95 per month
- Unlimited Plan monthly fee with direct deposit. $5.95
- Pay As You Go plan. $1 per transaction (max $10 per month)
- Inactivity fee. $1.95 per month after 90 days of inactivity with the Pay-As-You-Go Plan.
- Withdrawal fee at MoneyPass ATM. $0
- Withdrawal fee at out-of-network ATM.$3
- Withdrawal fee from bank teller. $2.50
- Cash back from retailers withdrawal fee. $0 (or included in the $1 transaction fee)
- Reloading direct deposit fee. $0
- Reload fee for online transfers from your bank. $0
- Fee to load cash at retailers. No fee from RushCard
- ATM balance inquiry fee (out of network). $0.50
- Fee to transfer to another RushCard. $0.99
- Online Bill Pay fee. $0
- Mobile check deposit. $0 (1%-4% of check for same day option)
- Mobile app.
RushCard offers a convenient and free mobile app that lets you access a lot of account features from your phone. You can log in with your fingerprint, and even set up text alerts. The mobile app is available through Apple, Android and Amazon.
- Pause protection.
Lose your card? RushCard offers Pause Protection. With Pause Protection, you can temporarily pause and prevent new purchases from being made.
- Direct deposit.
Signing up for direct deposit can be helpful in a few different ways. Not only can you lessen your fee amounts, but you can also receive your paycheck up to 2 days faster. With direct deposit, you can avoid enrollment and check cashing charges.
- Prepaid Visa.
Use your card to shop at your favorite places, in-store or online. RushCard even lets you set up recurring debit card payments.
- Online account access.
RushCard lets you access, view and manage your account online. In fact, to pay your bills, you can utilize RushCard’s Online Bill Pay.
- More security.
RushCard employs strict fraud policies, smart monitoring tools, optional text alerts and more. As a cardholder, you’re also covered by the Visa Zero Liability Policy.
- Easy check deposits.
No more waiting in long check-cashing lines. You can cash your checks through direct deposit or straight from your phone.
What to watch out for
- Statement price difference.
There is a $1 paper statement fee for each mailed paper copy of your statement.
Watch out for fees with this card, as they can add up. Conveniently, RushCard’s website lists potential fees you can encounter with the card. Signing up for direct deposit will get rid of some of the fees.
There are limits on how much money you can add, transfer or receive.
If you want a prepaid card with zero to minimal fees, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for a prepaid card.
Compare with other prepaid cards
Am I even eligible?
To be eligible, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- At least 18 years old or 13 years old with parental consent.
- All personal information is true and correct.
- U.S. citizen or legal resident of the United States or the District of Columbia (excluding Vermont).
- Have a verifiable address (not a P.O. box).
- Agree to RushCard’s provided terms and conditions.
What information do I need to apply?
- Full name
- Social Security number
- Email address
- Phone number
- Date of birth
How to apply for the Midnight Prepaid Visa RushCard
Applying for this card is easy, fast and can be completed in the following steps:
- Go to RushCard’s main homepage and click the button that says “Get a RushCard.” There will be a place to input your email and name.
- You’ll then be taken to the card’s application page where you enter additional personal information, choose your card design (Midnight) and choose if you want to go with the Unlimited or Pay As You Go plan.
- After you agree to the consent for the electronic disclosure of information, you can submit your application.
I got the card — now what?
After you get your card, you must set up your PIN. You can activate your card through RushCard’s website, or by phone with customer service. Be prepared to provide your CVV, SSN and PIN. You can access your account online or with the free mobile app.
Be sure to keep track of the fees you accrue so you don’t overdraw on your account.