We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
With an array of policies and coverage options, you’re almost certain to find a policy that meets your unique needs.
Finding the right car insurance can be difficult. Every company claims to be the best option, but for most drivers, there’s no perfect insurance policy — especially at a monthly rate you can live with.
As one of the country’s largest insurance providers, MetLife offers an array of coverage options, giving you a better chance of finding what you need. But their robust range of coverage might not make up for lackluster customer service and a slightly higher monthly cost.
|Name||MetLife Car Insurance|
|Description||With an array of car insurance policies and coverage options, you’re almost certain to find a policy that meets your unique needs.|
- Comprehensive and collision options
- Lots of discounts
- Roadside assistance reimbursement
- Low customer satisfaction rating
What is MetLife?
MetLife is an insurance and annuity services provider that was founded in 1868 in New York. It is now among the world’s largest providers of insurance, annuities and employee benefit programs, currently serving over 90 million customers in over 60 countries. In 2016, the company launched BrightHouse Financial, a separate branch dealing with US business that would handle life insurance and annuity services.
MetLife sells auto insurance policies in all 50 states through one of its many subsidiaries, MetLife Auto & Home. The company currently has over 2.7 million active policies and services 58 of the Fortune 100 companies. It offers a range of auto insurance options with great coverage and a number of discounts, all backed by high scores from some of the top ratings agencies.
About the MetLife buildingThe company has leased much of its space in the famous MetLife building on Park Avenue in New York City, but still retains some offices there. In 2011, the company purchased naming rights to the MetLife football stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, where the New York Giants and New York Jets play their home games.
Companies similar to MetLife auto insurance
Who is MetLife auto insurance best for?
Given the company’s size and rock-solid financials, its auto insurance policies are best suited for those who value the peace of mind that comes with choosing an established provider. It offers competitive pricing on a wide selection of coverage options, along with a convenient website. If you’re looking for comprehensive coverage, MetLife might be right for you.
What auto insurance coverage does MetLife offer?
- Liability protection. Pays for instances where you’re at fault in an accident that results in property damage or bodily harm.
- Collision coverage. Covers damage caused to your car if you hit another car or object.
- Comprehensive coverage. Offers protection beyond what’s available through collision coverage, including damage from fire, flooding, hail, theft, or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization or even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed, no matter who is at fault in the accident.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for costs of damage or injury from a hit-and-run accident or an incident where the other driver is uninsured. This covers you and your passengers for medical expenses, lost wages and other injury-related losses.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. This covers the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
Discounts on MetLife auto insurance
Unlike some of the other providers of its size, MetLife offers a number of auto insurance discounts that help keep prices competitive. From multi-vehicle to defensive driver discounts, here are some of the ways you can save with MetLife.
- Deductible Savings Benefit. Earn $50 (up to $250) towards your deductible for every year that you don’t make a claim
- Defensive Driver Discount. Receive a discount of up to 7% for completing a qualifying driver training course
- Superior Driver Discount. Get up to 12% off if all of the drivers in your household have outstanding driving records
- MetBenefits. Get up to 20% off if you are claim and violation-free for 5 years
- Bundle and save. Save up to 10% when you have multiple policies with MetLife
- Good Student Discount. Earn up to 15% off if you’re a student under 25 with a “B” average or better.
- Mature driver discounts. Drivers between ages 50 and 65 may receive discounted rates.
- Restricted mileage discount. Get a discount if you drive fewer than 7,500 miles per year.
- Anti-lock brake discount. Get discounted rates on vehicles equipped with computerized antilock braking systems.
- Safety discount. Receive a discount if your vehicle has safety features like airbags and automatic seat belts
- Anti-theft system discounts. Receive better rates on vehicles with security devices like ignition and fuel cutoff systems, alarms, and hood- and wheel-locking devices.
Availability of each discount may vary, so we recommend speaking with a MetLife agent to find out how you can save on your auto insurance policy.
Does MetLife offer any special programs?
Besides MetLife’s already great auto insurance coverage, it also offers a number of special programs and features.
- Rental car coverage. Get coverage in the event that you get in an accident while driving a rental vehicle.
- New car replacement. If your new vehicle is totaled due to an accident within one year or 15,000 miles, MetLife will repair or replace it with a new car without any reductions for depreciation.
- Special parts replacement. MetLife will cover replacement costs of certain major parts, like tires, brakes and batteries, regardless of their value at the time of the accident.
- Deductible-free glass repairs. MetLife will repair or replace chipped or cracked windshields and waive the deductible.
- Roadside assistance coverage. This program reimburses costs of towing and other roadside-assistance expenses if your car breaks down while traveling,
- Legal defense costs. If you’re sued, MetLife will cover your legal fees and even lost wages if you attend a hearing or trial at MetLife’s request.
- Lease/loan gap coverage. If your vehicle is written off due to an accident, the lease or loan will be paid off, even if the amount exceeds the value of your vehicle.
- Identity protection services. Available in some states, MetLife offers an identity theft protection program.
- Mobile app. MetLife offers a convenient mobile app that allows customers to manage their policy, view ID cards, and more.
- MetRewards. Get rewarded with better rates when drivers on your policy maintain clean driving records.
- MyDirect. An online claims portal that allows customers to easily file claims.
- MetLife CARE program. Customers have access to MetLife’s network of car repair facilities across the country. Repairs from these service providers are guaranteed for as long as you own the vehicle.
Pros and cons of MetLife auto insurance
- Great website. MetLife’s website does a great job of laying out all important information, making it easy to learn about auto insurance and compare your options.
- Lots of discounts. MetLife offers discounts for good drivers, defensive driving classes, bundling home/auto/life insurance, and deductible savings benefits for every year you drive claim-free.
- Roadside assistance reimbursement. You can be reimbursed for towing or other roadside assistance through certain MetLife plans.
- Low customer satisfaction rating. Customer reviews and complaints across various websites put Metlife below average for an insurance provider of its size.
- Online applications not available everywhere. MyDirect, MetLife’s online platform for online applications and claims, is not available in every state. Visit the MyDirect page to check if it’s available where you live.
- Price. While MetLife’s prices are competitive, you may be able to find better priced coverage elsewhere.
What do customers say about MetLife?
MetLife isn’t accredited on the official BBB website. It holds a “C-” rating, along with a composite score of 2 out of 5 possible stars. Additionally, there are lots of negative customer complaints, mostly about refusal to pay claims, rate increases and canceling policies without notice.
However, this isn’t uncommon among insurance providers, especially considering most people only leave reviews if they had bad experiences. But if customer service is your top priority, you might want to consider other companies.
How to apply for MetLife auto insurance
MetLife offers customers the option to get coverage instantly through its MyDirect platform. Here’s how to get started.
- Visit the MyDirect website and enter your zip code to check eligibility.
- If MyDirect is available in your state, move on to step 3. If not, see below.
- Proceed by entering your personal information, then click continue.
- Add driver information for anyone you wish to insure, then continue.
- Add vehicle information for any vehicle you wish to insure.
- Review your details and choose your desired policy option to get a final quote. If you’re satisfied, continue to payment.
- Enter your payment info, then submit your application.
- That’s it, you’re covered!
Unfortunately, MyDirect availability is limited, so you may need to get a quote then purchase coverage via phone. Here’s what you’ll need to do if MyDirect isn’t available where you live:
- After entering your zip code into MyDirect, you’ll be directed to MetLife’s quote tool if you aren’t eligible.
- Enter your personal information, then continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, then proceed to the next step
- Enter your current insurance information and desired policy start date
- Enter driver information for anyone you wish to insure
- Enter driver history for each driver on the policy
- Select your desired policy options
- Review your quote and policy details, then call MetLife to purchase your policy
How to file an auto insurance claim with MetLife
Filing an auto insurance claim with MetLife is easy, and depending on your location, you may be able to do it online or through the mobile app.
If MyDirect is available in your state, you can easily file online.
- Start by visiting the MyDirect website.
- Log in to your MyDirect account, then click the “Claims” or “File a claim” button
- Enter all required information, then submit your claim.
- If you file your claim online or through the app, an agent will follow up within one business day. Additionally, if you use the app and upload photos, you can get an estimate and payment in the same day.
If MyDirect is unavailable in your state or you’d prefer to speak with an agent, you can start the claims process by calling 1-800-854-6011. The line is open 24/7, 365 days a year.
How to contact MetLife
There are a number of ways you can contact MetLife. Whether you’d prefer to reach out via phone, online, or in person, you can find all contact information on the “Contact us” page, which you can find at the top right of the MetLife homepage.
What other types of coverage does MetLife offer?
MetLife offers a range of auto, home and life insurance policies, as well as employee benefit services for companies large and small.
MetLife offers an array of policies and coverage options, meaning you could potentially find an auto insurance policy that meets your unique needs. But if you’re looking for top-tier customer service, you might find your best fit with another provider.
Insurance rates and levels of coverage vary based on many factors. Compare car insurance options to get the information you need to make an informed decision.