Meemic car insurance review
Snag extra perks and discounts for being a teacher in Illinois, Georgia, Michigan or Wisconsin.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re a teacher living in one of the states Meemic serves.
- Pick something else if you need more coverage than this company offers.
- Offers the best rates and benefits for teachers and education staff
New car protection
|States served||Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
- In-person support
- Unique discounts for educational professionals
- Special repair program
- Limited availability
- Must work in education
- Can’t change policy online
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||The Educated Choice® Repair Program discount|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
Meemic Insurance works well if you’re a teacher looking for affordable premiums, extra teacher perks and coverage from a local company. This insurance company serves teachers in Illinois, Georgia, Michigan or Wisconsin.
Whether you’re an educator on the staff at a public, charter, private or parochial school or work at a college or university, Meemic Insurance offers affordable premiums with educator discounts up to 35% to reward your valuable work.
You can also apply if you’re retired from one of the above positions or as a library employee, work at a teaching hospital or as a school bus driver. For perks, Meemic pulls through with no deductible for comprehensive damage on school property, liability protection when you’re driving students to and more.
The main question is whether Meemic’s coverage and perks are enough to draw you away from major brands. To answer that question, you may want to consider several companies for their value overall.
If you’re not in the education field, you’ll need to look elsewhere for coverage.
How to get a free quote for Meemic car insurance
You can get a free quote online in minutes or search for a local agent through Meemic’s website.
- Visit the Meemic Insurance website and locate the Get a Quote widget on the homepage.
- Input your ZIP code and click Start Quote.
- Follow the prompts to input your personal information, details about the vehicles you wish to insure and contact info for the drivers you wish to add to your policy.
- Submit your application and wait for Meemic to provide you with a quote.
What info do I need to apply?
You’ll need to keep some basic information at the ready when you’re filling out your quote.
- Your basic personal information, like your name, address, email and occupation
- Your driver’s license number
- Details on the vehicles you plan on insuring, including their make and model
- Information on the drivers you’re adding to your policy
What discounts can I get with Meemic Insurance?
Meemic offers discounts specially crafted for those in the educational community, but you’ll need to contact your local agent to hear about specifics since they vary by state and coverage.
- Newly certified teacher discount. Snag an extra discount for the first seven years following your teaching certification.
- Paid-in-full discount. Pay your bill in full at the start of your policy to enjoy a discount.
- Multi-policy discount. Insure both your car and home with Meemic to unlock savings.
- Anti-theft discount. If your car comes with anti-theft devices, you can likely score a lower rate.
- Educational community discount. Just for being an educator, you’ll qualify for an extra discount on your premium.
- AAA discount. Meemic is part of the AAA family, so you’ll get another discount on your premium if you’re a AAA member.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Meemic Insurance offer?
Meemic offers a few perks that can bring extra peace of mind for educators.
- Educated Choice Repair Program. Visit a pre-approved repair shop, and all claims payments are sent directly to the shop. Some shops provide a free loaner car or discounted rental car to use until your car is repaired. Plus, these auto repairs are guaranteed for as long as you own the car.
- Repairs with original parts. Not only can you get your repairs guaranteed, but you can also have your car repaired with parts from your car’s original manufacturer. That means no aftermarket bits, though Meemic states that certain restrictions apply.
- No deductible for some comprehensive damage. If someone pulls a prank with your car on school property or it gets damaged during a school sports event, you won’t pay a deductible as long as the damage falls under your comprehensive coverage.
- No deductible for glass repairs. If your windshield is cracked by only six inches or less, you could get your windshield repaired — with no out-of-pocket dollars from you.
- Liability coverage for transporting students. While car insurance typically covers your passengers, transporting students may be considered work-related. Meemic overlooks that detail if you’re using your car to get students to and from school events.
Meemic car insurance reviews and complaints
Meemic can proudly claim an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau as of 2021, showing that it’s attentive to resolving negative customer experiences and responding to feedback.
The company also boasts a 0.44 score on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. The score shows how many complaints a company gets compared to its business size, and anything below the industry standard of 1.00 means that a company sees fewer complaints than normal.
Otherwise, Meemic doesn’t receive many customer reviews online — no reviews on Trustpilot and only one recent review left with the BBB. A few customers have complained that they’ve seen their premiums rise after the first year with Meemic. They also complain that getting answers from customer service can be frustrating, involving multiple calls with different representatives.
Keep in mind that most customers won’t leave reviews for insurers unless they’ve had an overwhelmingly positive or negative experience. Meemic sees few customer complaints, which shows coverall customer satisfaction.
Our star ratings for Meemic, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rated Meemic with 4 out of 5 stars because it’s known for its affordable premiums and discounts, especially for those in the educational field. We also ranked Meemic highly for its few customer complaints and strong A financial rating from AM Best. However, the company’s coverage options are average, which pulled down its overall star rating.
Alternatives to Meemic
See how Meemic stacks up to other companies’ coverage, cost and benefits. Tap Get quotes when you’re ready to see your customized quote.
What car insurance coverage does Meemic Insurance offer?
Since Meemic Insurance only offers auto insurance in four states, the policies and add-ons are geared toward the laws and requirements in those states. Some of the coverage options available:
- Bodily injury liability. Covers injuries to others in the case of an at-fault accident, including liability coverage for transporting students to and from school events.
- Property damage liability. Covers damage to other vehicles or property for an at-fault accident.
- Collision. Covers damage to your vehicle when you cause an accident.
- Comprehensive. Covers damages to your vehicle caused by anything other than an accident, such as fire, theft or flood.
- Personal injury protection. Covers medical expenses and lost wages for you and your passengers.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Covers medical expenses if you’re injured by a driver who doesn’t have any car insurance or doesn’t have enough to cover your bills.
Pros and cons of Meemic car insurance
- 35% discount for educators. Depending on your state and coverage, you could unlock discounts up to 35% off your premium. Consider it a thank you for all your hard work as a teacher.
- Extra protection on school property. Enjoy liability protection when shuttling students to and from school events, and you won’t pay a deductible for comprehensive damage that happens at school.
- Special repair program. Meemic turns its claims repairs into a perk with guaranteed repairs through its repair shop network, original parts for qualifying repairs and no deductible for fixing small cracks in your windshield.
- In-person support. In addition to getting a free online quote, Meemic also has local insurance agents to help give you in-person support.
- Limited availability. Meemic only offers insurance to residents of Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan.
- Must work in education. If you’re not a librarian or member of the educational community, you can’t apply for insurance through Meemic.
- Can’t change policy online. An online account allows you to pay your bill, view your policy and start a claim, but to change things with your policy, you have to contact your local agent.
- Average coverage options. You can find companies with wider coverage and bundling options, which could lead you away from choosing Meemic.
How to contact Meemic Insurance
- By phone. To contact Meemic’s general customer service line, call 800-362-4030 — Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.
- By email. Go to Meemic Insurance’s website and click Contact Us at the top of the page. Fill out the online contact form and wait for an agent to get back to you.
- By mail. P.O. Box 217019, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-7019
Frequently asked questions about Meemic car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.