Meemic car insurance review
The best car insurance for teachers and educators living in Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin or Georgia
- Get a quote if you want fast, cheap online rates and local agent support.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in Meemic’s coverage area.
- Offers the best rates and benefits for teachers and education staff
New car protection
|States served||Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
|New car protection||No|
- In-person support
- Unique discounts for educational professionals
- Special repair program
- Limited availability
- Must work in education
- Can’t change policy online
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||Yes|
|Other discounts||The Educated Choice® Repair Program discount|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Who can apply for Meemic car insurance?
Meemic Insurance is best for members of the educational community who live in one of the four states it services: Michigan, Illinois, Georgia and Wisconsin.
Whether you’re a teacher or on the staff of a public, charter, private or parochial school or work at a college or university, Meemic Insurance offers affordable insurance with unique discounts tailored specifically to you. You can also apply for insurance through Meemic Insurance if you’re retired from one of the above positions, a library employee, work at a teaching hospital or are a school bus driver.
If you’re not in the education field, you’ll need to look elsewhere for coverage.
What car insurance coverage does Meemic Insurance offer?
Since Meemic Insurance only offers auto insurance in four states, the policies and add-ons are geared toward the laws and requirements in those states. Here are some of the coverage options available:
- Bodily injury liability. Covers injuries to others in the case of an at-fault accident
- Property damage liability. Covers damage to other vehicles or property for an at-fault accident.
- Collision. Covers damage to your vehicle when you cause an accident.
- Comprehensive. Covers damages to your vehicle caused by anything other than an accident, such as fire, theft or flood.
- Personal injury protection. Covers medical expenses and lost wages for you and your passengers.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. Covers medical expenses if you’re injured by a driver who doesn’t have any car insurance or doesn’t have enough to cover your bills.
It also offers exclusive educational community coverage, including no deductible for covered comprehensive losses that occur on school property and liability coverage for transporting students to and from school events.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Meemic Insurance offer?
Meemic offers the Educated Choice Repair Program, which allows you to bring your car to a pre-approved shop after an accident to help expedite the repair process. With this program, there’s no need to drive across town to get multiple estimates for repairs. Just visit a pre-approved repair shop, and all claims payments are sent directly to the shop after the repairs are completed.
Some shops even provide a free loaner car or discounted rental car to use until your car has been fixed. And the best part? These auto repairs are guaranteed for as long as you own the car.
What discounts can I get with Meemic Insurance?
Meemic offers a slew of discounts specially-crafted for those in the educational community, but you’ll need to contact your local agent to hear about specifics, as they vary by state and coverage options. Here are some of the discounts they disclose:
- Newly certified teacher discount. Snag an extra discount for the first seven years following your teaching certification.
- Paid-in-full discount. Pay your bill in full at the start of your policy to enjoy a discount.
- Multi-policy discount. Insure both your car and home with Meemic to unlock savings.
- Anti-theft discount. If your car comes with anti-theft devices, you can likely score a lower rate.
- Educational community discount. Just for being an educator, you’ll qualify for an extra discount on your premium.
Pros and cons of Meemic car insurance
- In-person support. In addition to getting a free online quote, Meemic also has local insurance agents to help give you in-person support.
- Unique discounts for educational professionals. Depending on your state and coverage, you can likely unlock discounts of up to 35% off your premium.
- Special repair program. Go to a pre-approved repair shop and your claim payments are sent directly to the shop after repairs are completed, saving you a step.
- Limited availability. Meemic only offers insurance to residents of Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan.
- Must work in education. If you’re not a librarian or member of the educational community, you won’t be able to apply for insurance through Meemic.
- Can’t change policy online. An online account allows you to pay your bill, view your policy and start a claim, but to change things with your policy, you have to contact your local agent.
Alternatives to Meemic
How to apply for Meemic car insurance
Get a free quote online in minutes.
- Visit the Meemic Insurance website and locate the Get a Quote widget on the homepage.
- Input your ZIP code and click Start Quote.
- Follow the prompts to input your personal information, details about the vehicles you wish to insure and contact info for the drivers you wish to add to your policy.
- Submit your application and wait for Meemic to provide you with a quote.
What info do I need to apply?
- Your personal information, including your driver’s license.
- Details on the vehicles you plan on insuring, including their make and model.
- Information on the drivers you plan on adding to your policy.
What do customers say about Meemic Insurance?
Meemic proudly claims a 97% customer satisfaction rating on its site, which is based on a 2016 study on customers’ claims experiences. Online reviews paint a different picture, however.
Meemic has not been rated by the Better Business Bureau or Trustpilot, though other online forums display mixed customer reviews for the insurance provider. Satisfied customers mention the affordable rates and great discounts. But a common element of many negative reviews includes rate increases after the first year and a difficult claims process.
Customer complaints against Meemic Insurance increased 25% between 2007 and 2013, according to data compiled by the Michigan Department of Insurance. This could be because of changes in top-down operations and how claims are being treated.
Meemic does appear attentive at resolving the negative experiences, responding regularly to customer feedback. This is a good sign that the company wants to create a better user experience.
How to contact Meemic Insurance
- By phone. To contact Meemic’s general customer service line, call 800-362-4030 — Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.
- By email. Go to Meemic Insurance’s website and click Contact Us at the top of the page. Fill out the online contact form and wait for an agent to get back to you.
- By mail. P.O. Box 217019, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-7019
If you live in Michigan, Illinois, Georgia or Wisconsin and work in the educational field or are retired, it’s worth considering getting car insurance through Meemic. This provider offers services uniquely tailored to members of the educational community.