Kentucky Farm Bureau car insurance review
Basic coverage that comes with small-town hospitality at no extra cost.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you live in Kentucky and are looking for a tailored policy and in-person service.
- Pick something else if you want more than basic auto coverage.
- Safe drivers will get the best deals.
New car protection
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
- Plenty of discounts.
- Agents available in all 120 counties.
- After-hours claims reporting.
- Member benefits.
- Only available in Kentucky.
- Few extras available.
- Limited information online.
- Agent only support.
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Certified school bus drivers who can furnish a yearly proof of recertification may qualify.|
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at Finder who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
Not just for farmers, Kentucky Farm Bureau has a load of discounts plus all your standard coverage. If you’re a Kentuckian looking for basic auto coverage and in-person service nearby, KFB may have just what you need. Your quote is tailored to you, and you may qualify for several available discounts.
KFB focuses on local support and back-to-basic coverage, though you’ll still get a few benefits. If you’re looking for wider availability or more perks, you might try a national provider instead.
How to apply for Kentucky Farm Bureau car insurance
Applying for car insurance with KFB first requires getting a quote, which you can request online or over the phone. Follow these steps to request one online:
- Go to the KFB website.
- Select Get a quote.
- Fill out your name and address and click Next.
- Select your preferred agent and click Next.
- Click the icons for the insurance products you’re interested in.
- Fill out your email address, phone number and the best time to contact you.
- Click Finish and wait for an agent to get back to you.
What info do I need to apply?
To get your quote, you’ll only need a few pieces of information handy.
- Full name
- Residential address
- Email address and phone number
What discounts can I get with Kentucky Farm Bureau?
KFB has a number of premium discounts you may qualify for. Note that some discounts won’t stack — for example, you’d be ineligible for the good student discount if you already have the driver’s training discount.
- Active property discount. When you take out auto insurance and have homeowner, mobile homeowner or farmowner insurance with KY Farm Bureau you can qualify for this discount.
- Auto safety device discount. Antilock brakes, antitheft devices and other safety equipment could get you this discount.
- Defensive driving course discounts. Drivers who are 55 or older can earn a discount by completing a safety course. US military members can also get a discount by showing they completed a defensive driving training through the Armed Forces.
- Driver’s training discount. Single drivers younger than 25 — and any guys younger than 21 — can complete an approved safe driver’s course for this discount.
- Good student discount. Get rewarded for your good grades by showing your B average or above grades.
- Multivehicle discounts. Insure two or more vehicles with Kentucky Farm Bureau and get a discount on your premiums.
- Safe-driver discount. Get a discount that grows over time by staying accident free for three, five, or eight years.
- Umbrella discount. Hold umbrella and auto insurance with Kentucky Farm Bureau to potentially save.
What insurance coverage does Kentucky Farm Bureau offer?
You can work with a Kentucky Farm Bureau (KFB) insurance agent to create a policy that’s tailored to your needs. Coverage options include:
- Bodily injury liability. Get protected in the event you injure someone while driving.
- Property damage liability. Damage from an accident involving someone else’s property is covered.
- Collision damage. Covers the cost of repairs to your car for damage as the result of a collision.
- Comprehensive damage. Get your car repairs covered for damage caused by weather, debris and other non-collision related incidents.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorists. If you end up injured by an uninsured driver, you can still get the cost of your medical bills covered.
- Personal injury protection. Coverage for your medical bills regardless of who’s at fault.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Kentucky Farm Bureau offer?
Outside of standard options, you can also opt for:
- Medical payment coverage. Some or all of your medical deductibles and copays may be covered if you’re injured in a collision.
- Towing and labor cost coverage. Pay less when it comes time to get a tow or repair.
- Rental and transportation reimbursement. Get covered for what you use to get around while your car is being repaired.
Alternatives to Kentucky Farm Bureau car insurance
Pros and cons of Kentucky Farm Bureau car insurance
While you’ll find several reasons why Kentucky Farm Bureau manages to have agents in every county of the commonwealth, you may need more than it has on offer.
- Plenty of discounts. With the amount of discounts available, it’s likely you’ll find one you qualify for.
- Agents available in all 120 counties. You can also get help over the phone, even if there’s an agent a stone’s throw away.
- After-hours claims reporting. Accidents that happen outside of business hours can still be reported using a dedicated hotline.
- Member benefits. Being a member with this providers gets you access to discounts and deals for travel, auto, the farm and home, health, scholarships and more.
- Only available in Kentucky. Non-Kentuckians who want to apply are out of luck.
- Few extras available. Bells and whistles like a mobile app and nonowner insurance aren’t on offer.
- Limited information online. Those looking for a full overview online will have trouble getting more than the very basics. There’s also no online chat option if you try to forego calling or visiting an agent.
- Agent only support. While it’s nice to have a custom-tailored policy, do-it-yourselfers might find having to interact with an agent just to get a quote more bothersome than helpful.
How do I make a claim with Kentucky Farm Bureau?
To report a claim you’ll need to call KFB:
- Call your local office if you’re filing a claim between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
- Any other time, call the after-hours line at 866-532-2524.
Have the following information on hand when you call:
- Your policy number.
- Names and phone numbers of everyone involved, including passengers and witnesses.
- Any vehicles or properties involved.
- Date and time of the incident.
- Location of the incident.
- Your account of what happened.
- Descriptions of any damage and injuries.
- Police report number.
Frequently asked questions about Kentucky Farm Bureau
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.