J.C. Taylor classic car insurance review February 2021
A throwback to simple, standard coverage on a variety of classic vehicles used for car shows including modern classics.
- Get a quote if you show your classic car at events.
- Pick something else if you need extra coverage.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
- No mileage limits.
- Rate transparency.
- Wider age range for eligible classics.
- Low deductibles.
- Free coverage with multiple cars.
- Few policy extras.
- Must complete a paper application.
- No monthly payments.
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
J.C. Taylor has earned some respect in classic car insurance with decades serving the industry and few customer complaints. The company’s main perks include its ability to insure almost any type of classic or collector vehicle from kit cars to military vehicles. You can also start coverage on younger models than other companies will insure — from 19 years old with J.C. Taylor versus competitors’ 25-year eligibility. Plus if you happen to collect four or more classic cars, you could get some coverage at no additional cost.
However, J.C. Taylor doesn’t provide as many options as some insurance companies. For example, it lacks coverage for cars under reconstruction, trip interruptions or spare parts. From a service standpoint, the company doesn’t offer flexible payment options or quick online applications. You’ll need to pay annually and turn in a paper application instead.
Consider other classic car insurers if the downsides of buying through J.C. Taylor outweigh the benefits for you. This company may work well for collectors with multiple cars or those wanting basic protection while going to shows.
What classic car insurance coverage does J.C. Taylor offer?
J.C. Taylor offers standard coverage with simple classic car policies. Coverage you can buy:
- Combined single liability. J.C. Taylor offers a single liability limit for property damage and bodily injuries up to $300,000 if you get a quote online. Request higher limits by phone. This coverage pays out for the other driver’s medical bills, car or property damage if you cause an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Shoulders the costs for your medical bills and car damage if the driver who caused the damage can’t pay.
- Medical payments or personal injury protection (PIP). Takes care of your medical bills and, in some cases with state-required PIP, covers lost income, childcare expenses or a death benefit for your loved ones.
- Collision. Covers car repairs to your prized antique or collector ride.
- Comprehensive. Covers noncollision-related damage to your car, such as theft, vandalism, hail or other storms.
- Roadside assistance. Get help with towing, changing a flat tire or getting fuel delivered if you break down on the road.
- Agreed value replacement. Agree on the market value your car is worth. Then, you’ll get paid up to that amount if your car needs repairs or gets damaged beyond repair.
What types of vehicles does J.C. Taylor cover?
This specialty insurance company accepts a myriad of classic car types, including:
- Antique delivery trucks
- Classic cars and trucks
- Exotic cars
- Horseless carriages
- Kit cars
- Military vehicles
- Modified or customized cars
- Muscle cars
- Rare vehicles
- Steam automobiles
Which classic cars are eligible for coverage?
To qualify for coverage you and your car will need to meet this criteria:
- Mostly original manufacturer parts
- Good condition or restored
- Stored in fully enclosed and locked garage
- Used primarily for public shows and events
The car’s owner and drivers must:
- Be at least 25 years old
- Have no more than one violation and one accident in the past three years
What discounts can I get with J.C. Taylor?
The company doesn’t specify any discounts offered. But overall rates seemed similar to other classic car insurers when our editorial team completed an online quote for a 1967 Chevy Corvette.
Pros and cons of J.C. Taylor life insurance
- No mileage limits. You won’t get denied coverage for driving your car for pleasure occasionally.
- Rate transparency. Find out the exact dollar amounts for each type of coverage and limits when you fill out your application. That means J.C. Taylor rates every customer similarly.
- Wider age range for eligible classics. Many insurers require classic cars to be at least 25 years old to qualify, but that’s not the case with J.C. Taylor.
- Low deductibles. J.C. Taylor requires a low $250 deductible for underinsured motorist coverage.
- Free coverage with multiple cars. Insure more than three cars, and you could get free liability, medical payments and underinsured motorist coverage.
- Few policy extras. Other companies offer coverage for classics like construction, trip interruption and spare parts. These options aren’t provided on the J.C. Taylor application.
- Must complete a paper application. While you can get an online quote, you have to submit a physical application for approval before starting your policy.
- No monthly payments. You must pay your premium in full annually.
- Classics used for public events. Agree to a statement that your car is primarily used for shows and events. But pleasure driving is allowed.
Alternatives to J.C. Taylor
How to apply for J.C. Taylor classic car insurance
You can start the quotes process online, but you’ll have to finish up your application on paper and mail it in. What to expect while applying:
- On the main website’s navigation, click Get a quote and choose the type of vehicle you’re insuring. Otherwise, call 800-345-8290.
- Enter your personal information and agree to the statement about your car’s primary use if it’s true for you. Click Next.
- Fill in details about your vehicle and its estimated value. Click Next.
- View your quote and, if you’re interested, click Download the application.
- Print and fill out the rest of the application, including additional details about your car, your driving record and other drivers.
- Review the application’s instructions and gather any other documents to submit, such as a professional value estimate or photos of your vehicle.
- Mail the completed application, other required documents and your premium check to: J.C. Taylor Insurance
- Wait to hear whether your application is approved. You may receive notice by mail, phone or email.
- Start coverage under your J.C. Taylor policy.
320 South 69th Street
Upper Darby, PA 19082