Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to the Netherlands
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to the Netherlands.
The Netherlands is a popular destination for travelers the world over. And when you need to send money there, either to a visitor of the country or a loved one who lives there, you’ll want to find the best rates possible to keep transfer costs cheap. Since the Netherlands uses the euro, there are plenty of options to choose from when it’s time to send money from the US. You’ll want to shop around to find a good deal.
Send money to the Netherlands with OFX
OFX has no maximum limit transfers, with competitive exchange rates for 45+ currencies.
- Support for 55+ major and exotic currencies
- Competitive rates and no transfer fees
- Multiple transfer options include forward contracts and limit orders
Compare international money transfer services to the Netherlands
What's in this guide?
- Compare international money transfer services to the Netherlands
- How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to the Netherlands?
- How can I send money to the Netherlands from the US?
- What are the steps to send money to the Netherlands?
- Emergency cash transfers in the Netherlands
- Tips for picking up cash in the Netherlands
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to the Netherlands?
Pay attention to these factors when comparing your options.
- Exchange rates. How do each company’s exchange rates compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay to send the transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch and/or by using a mobile app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments, or does the company only provide one-off spot orders?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company, and will this affect the size of your transfers?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. What sort of customer support is offered and during what hours can you receive assistance?
Case Study: Heidi compares money transfer companies
Heidi just moved from Almere to Boston with her husband and her twin daughters. Her extended family still lives in the Netherlands, and Heidi is always on the look-out for cheaper, quicker ways to send money between the Netherlands and the US. She usually relies on her bank, but she’s recently found a few good deals through money transfer companies and wants to compare them to see if she’ll get a better deal.
|Money transfer service 1||Money transfer service 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 USD = 0.63 euros||$1 USD = 0.63 euros|
|Amount received for $500||317 euros||310 euros|
|Transfer time||Within 3 business days||1 to 3 business days|
|Transfer options||Online transfer to bank account||Bank transfer|
Heidi saves $17 because she took the time to compare two online transfer services. While the turnaround time and exchange are the same, she was able to send more while paying a lower fee.
How can I send money to the Netherlands from the US?
You can send money to the Netherlands via the following ways:
- Bank to bank. Bank-to-bank transfers may cost more than other options but they are a secure way to send money to the Netherlands.
- Online money transfer providers. A reliable online money transfer company can offer fast and cost-effective transactions.
- Money transfer companies with cash pickup options. MoneyGram and Western Union are two of the world’s largest providers of this service.
- PayPal. PayPal offers secure international money transfers to many destinations around the world.
- Checks. International checks can be obtained from U.S. banks and then sent overseas.
What are the steps to send money to the Netherlands?
Depending on the service you choose, you’ll need to provide some or all of the following information:
- Compare your options and select a provider from the money transfer table above.
- Click Go to site and register with the provider.
- Start a transaction and enter information about your recipient.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Save the tracking number to follow up on your transfer.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. Traditionally, the euro is stronger against the dollar. This means that for each dollar you spend, you’ll be sending less than a euro to your recipient. This amount can fluctuate from day to day, so check frequently to see if you can get a better deal when you’re sending money to the Netherlands.
Emergency cash transfers in the Netherlands
There are certain situations when you might need to send a transfer as quickly as possible. When you do need to send an emergency transfer, remember that you will usually have to pay extra in order to get your funds to your recipient ASAP. Make sure to check the exchange rate and fees that apply so you know exactly how much it will cost. Usually, you’ll have to pay high fees for a speedy transfer, and you’re unlikely to get a prime exchange rate for such short-notice transfers.
Tips for picking up cash in the Netherlands
Like any country, picking up cash can be risky. In order to minimize the chance of theft, follow these simple steps.
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
More guides on Finder
Sigue international money transfers review
Sigue offers speedy money transfers to 50+ countries, but you have to set up a transfer to see the transaction fees.
Boss Revolution money transfer review
Join Boss Revolution with an email address and phone number, and send money within minutes.
Remittances weakened by a struggling US dollar
Understanding your money sending options can help you send the most money abroad while the dollar struggles.
Usend combines money transfers, bill pay and mobile phone reloading.
Paysend offers transfers to more than 70 countries through its app and online service.
Review: Boxypay international money transfers
Pairing international calls with money transfers makes Boxypay a unique choice.
Tax guidelines and regulations for large money transfers to Hong Kong
Sending a large money transfer to Hong Kong? Learn about laws and required documentation before you transfer.
HSBC Global Money account review
Manage your international finances with free transfers to HSBC customers.
Use this crypto-enabled prepaid card to spend, save or exchange in digital and traditional currencies.
How do international money orders work?
Using international money orders to send money overseas? Learn about better options.
Ask an Expert