Get your tax return without a bank account, but beware of inactivity fees.
- Get this card if you want to receive your tax return on a prepaid card.
- Choose another card if you primarily make cash deposits or don’t want to use H&R Block’s tax services.
|Signature transaction fee||$0|
|PIN transaction fee||$0|
What you’ll like
You can use the H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard long after tax season ends and benefit from features like:
- Bill pay. Sign up for H&R Block’s bill pay service to manage your payments in one location. Fees may apply.
- Mobile app available. Check on your account from your smartphone anytime using the H&R Block app. Find the location of an H&R Block cash reload partner near you, review transactions, pay bills and more.
- Receive payments easily. Sign up for direct deposit with your employer or get your government benefits paid to your card.
- Deposit checks. Using the H&R Block app, deposit checks with your smartphone. Fees may apply.
- Transfer money. If you have a checking account you’d like to link, you can move funds to and from your card without H&R Block charging a fee.
- In-store cash withdrawals. You can typically withdrawal cash without paying a fee when you request cash back while making a purchase in a store.
- No overdraft fees. Transactions that will overdraw your account are automatically declined. If your account happens to reach a negative balance, you are not charged an overdraft fee but you are responsible for paying the amount.
What to watch out for
The H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard has a few drawbacks that you should consider:
- Cash and check deposit fees. You can reload your card with cash at retail partners, but it comes at a cost of up to $4.95 per deposit. Check deposits are free if you don’t mind waiting 10 days, but cost up to 4% of the amount being funded if you need it expedited.
- Limited signup options. You can only sign up for the card at an H&R Block location or as an option for your tax return while filing.
- Load limits. You’re limited to loading $1,000 per day. If you get paid for a gig in cash, you may have to break up your deposits.
- Account closure. If your card is inactive for a number of months and its balance falls to $0 by the inactivity fee, it may be closed.
- Other regular fees. You may pay several other fees for regular actions, included in the table below.
H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard fees
|Cash reload||Up to $4.95|
|Expedited check to card||Up to 4% of the amount deposited|
|Expedited bill payment delivery — electronic||$2|
|Expedited bill payment delivery — check||$10|
|Over the counter withdrawal — financial institution||$35|
|ATM balance inquiry||$1.50|
|Expedited delivery for replacement card||$35|
Compare with other prepaid cards
How do I get the H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard?
You can only get the H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard at an H&R Block location or online when you’re using H&R’s software to prepare your taxes.
To find your nearest H&R Block:
- Go to the H&R Block website.
- Select Find an office.
- Enter your ZIP code and select Go.
To register your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard,
you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- Have a driver’s license or state ID
Have the following ready before you register your card online:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Date of birth
Your funding options include:
- Cash. Visit a retail partner to load your card using cash for a fee of up to $4.95.
- Direct deposit. Receive pay from your employer or government benefits directly to your card.
- Check. Deposit checks using the mobile app.
- Bank transfer. Link your bank account and make recurring or one-off deposits.
How long will it take to get my card?
Your card should arrive in the mail within seven to 10 business days of account approval.
I got the card. Now what?
Take full advantage of the features of your new card to get the most out of it.
- Register for an Emerald Online account. Once you’ve signed up, you can log in to the mobile app to manage your card, check your balance, deposit checks and more.
- Utilize direct deposit. Get your paycheck or government benefits without having to pay a check-cashing fee when you receive them on your card.
- Contact customer service. Customer service is available year round, 24/7. Call 866-353-1266 with any questions.
The H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Card can be a good option if you’re a current H&R customer and don’t want to receive your tax return via bank deposit. It offers a mobile app, bill pay, no overdraft fees and more, but watch out for fees that can eat into your cash.
Before deciding on a prepaid card, compare your options and find the one that will best serve your financial needs.