H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard Review
Get your tax return without a bank account, but beware of inactivity fees.
The H&R Block Emerald card is a great option for anyone who already files their taxes with H&R Block and wants a convenient way to receive their tax refund. But as with most prepaid cards, there’s a lengthy list of fees to watch out for.
- Get this card if you want to receive your tax return on a prepaid card.
- Choose another card if you primarily make cash deposits or don’t want to use H&R Block’s tax services.
Monthly maintenance fee
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
Rhys Subitch is the loans editor at Finder, guiding Americans toward smart borrowing decisions. With over half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info in the lending sphere. They make frequent appearances on Finder's YouTube channel to talk through loan topics that range from the very basics to the latest government assistance programs. Before specializing in lending, Rhys was a personal finance writer for Finder’s credit cards, insurance, banking and mortgage verticals. They hold a BA in sociology and a certificate in editing from the University of Washington, Seattle.
The H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Card is best for current H&R Block customers who don’t want to receive their tax return via bank deposit. It offers a mobile app, bill pay, no overdraft fees and more. Plus, you can keep using the card even after you’ve spent your refund.
But you’ll want to watch out for fees that can eat into your cash. If you already have an existing bank account and don’t mind waiting to receive your refund, a traditional bank account may be a better option.
How much does H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard cost?
|Cash reload||Up to $4.95|
|Expedited check to card||Up to 4% of the amount deposited|
|Expedited bill payment delivery — electronic||$2|
|Expedited bill payment delivery — check||$15|
|Over the counter withdrawal — financial institution||$35|
|ATM balance inquiry||$1.50|
|Expedited delivery for replacement card||$35|
How do I open a H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard account?
You can only get the H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard at an H&R Block location or online when you’re using H&R’s software to prepare your taxes. To find your nearest H&R Block:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard website, select Find an office.
- Enter your ZIP code and select Go.
To register your H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard,
you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- Have a driver’s license or state ID
Have the following ready before you register your card online:
- Full name
- Residential address
- Date of birth
How long will it take to get my card?
Your card should arrive in the mail within seven to 10 business days of account approval.
What you’ll like about the H&R Block Emerald card
You can use the H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard long after tax season ends. As with most prepaid cards, it has features like a convenient mobile app that lets you e-deposit checks, find a reload location and manage your account, no overdraft fees and these extra perks:
- Bill pay. Sign up for H&R Block’s bill pay service to manage your payments in one location. Fees may apply.
- Receive payments easily. Sign up for direct deposit with your employer or get your government benefits paid to your card.
- Transfer money. If you have a checking account you’d like to link, you can move funds to and from your card without H&R Block charging a fee.
- In-store cash withdrawals. You can typically withdrawal cash without paying a fee when you request cash back while making a purchase in a store.
What to watch out for
The H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard has a few drawbacks that you should consider:
- Limited signup options. You can only sign up for the card at an H&R Block location or as an option for your tax return while filing.
- Load limits. You’re limited to loading $1,000 per day. If you get paid for a gig in cash, you may have to break up your deposits.
- Account closure. If your card is inactive for a number of months and its balance falls to $0 by the inactivity fee, it may be closed.
- Regular fees. You may pay several fees for regular actions, including cash and check reloads and ATM withdrawals. See the table for a breakdown of fees.
If you want a prepaid card with minimal to no fees, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when choosing a prepaid card.
Compare with other prepaid cards
Explore your options by fees, ATM withdrawal or features. Select the Go to site button for more information about a particular card.
How can I reload my H&R Block Emerald card?
Your funding options include:
- Cash. Visit a retail partner to load your card using cash for a fee of up to $4.95.
- Direct deposit. Receive pay from your employer or government benefits directly to your card.
- Check. Deposit checks using the mobile app.
- Bank transfer. Link your bank account and make recurring or one-off deposits.
I got my H&R Block Emerald card. Now what?
Take full advantage of the features of your new card to get the most out of it.
- Register for an Emerald Online account. Once you’ve signed up, you can log in to the mobile app to manage your card, check your balance, deposit checks and more.
- Utilize direct deposit. Get your paycheck or government benefits without having to pay a check-cashing fee when you receive them on your card.
- Contact customer service. Customer service is available year round, 24/7. Call 866-353-1266 with any questions.
Frequently asked questions
Can I use my H&R Block Emerald card to receive my stimulus check?
Yes. On April 13 the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) stated that taxpayers could now receive their stimulus check via prepaid cards thanks to a newly relaxed definition of government benefits.
If you got your latest tax refund using the H&R Block Emerald card, your stimulus payment should be sent to this card. You can check your payment status on the IRS website.
Can I have joint ownership of an H&R Block Block Emerald card?
Yes. You can have a secondary user apply to receive a personalized card online through your account, or at an H&R Block location. The joint owner will have equal ownership over the account.
What happens if I lose my H&R Block Emerald card?
Call customer service as soon as you realize your card is missing. If you notify customer service within two business days of losing the card and someone makes charges to it without your permission, you’ll only be accountable for the first $50 spent.
How do I get copies of the statements and transactions for my H&R Block Emerald card?
You can access at least 12 months of transactions at no cost in three ways:
- Log in to your Emerald Online account to download the last 12 months of transactions instantly.
- Call customer service at 866-353-1266 to be sent a hard copy of the transactions from the last 24 months.
- Write customer service to be sent a hard copy of the last 24 months of transactions.
If you’d like to write in, you can do so to:
Cardholder Customer Service
PO Box 10170