Step-by-step instructions on how to sell XRP for US dollars or cryptocurrency.
As one of the world’s largest and best-known cryptocurrencies, XRP plays a vital role to facilitate cross-border payments on the Ripple network. XRP can also be traded on a wide range of exchanges, but if you’re not an experienced trader, working out how to sell XRP safely and at a good rate can be a challenging proposition.
Hopefully, we can help. Keep reading for our step-by-step guide to selling XRP and the factors you should consider before selling your holdings.
A quick guide to how to sell XRP
- Create an account on an exchange that lists XRP, such as Kraken.
- Log in to your account.
- Enable 2-factor authentication.
- Deposit XRP into your account.
- Click on “Wallets” tab and select your XRP wallet.
- Click on the “Sell” tab.
- Enter the amount of XRP that you wish to sell.
- Review and confirm your transaction details.
- Click “Sell”.
Where to sell XRP in the US
HiveEx.com is an over-the-counter (OTC) cryptocurrency platform specializing in high-volume trades.
- Tap into HiveEx.com’s global network of high liquidity trading partners
- Trade between $50,000 and $100m for a fixed price
- Access competitive rates compared to traditional exchange trading
- Receive your coins in your wallet fast, with same day settlement options
- As an AUSTRAC registered company, HiveEx.com is fully compliant with industry-standard AML and CTF obligations
Ripple vs XRP
While you might commonly see the term “Ripple” used to refer to the XRP cryptocurrency, this isn’t the correct way of referring to this widely traded digital currency.
Ripple is a US tech company that wants to transform the cross-border payments industry; XRP is an independent digital asset that enables fast transactions between different fiat currencies on the Ripple network.
Find out more about the differences between the two in our Ripple vs XRP comparison.
A step-by-step guide to selling XRP
You have two options to choose from when selling XRP:
There are two options available when selling Ripple:
- Selling XRP for fiat currency, such as USD
- Selling XRP for another cryptocurrency, for example, bitcoin (BTC) or Ether (ETH)
The quickest and easiest option will most likely be to trade XRP for fiat currency, particularly if you’re a crypto trading novice. However, we’ve included instructions below on how to sell XRP for either fiat or cryptocurrency, so keep reading to find out exactly what you need to do.
Selling XRP for fiat currency
Step 1. Create an account on an exchange that lists XRP alongside USD
If you want to sell your holdings on the same platform you used to purchase XRP in the first place, skip ahead to step 2.
If you want to use a different exchange, the first step is to find a suitable exchange that lists XRP in a trading pair with the fiat currency you want. Make sure you compare the features of a range of crypto exchanges before deciding which one to use for your trade.
Once you’ve chosen an exchange, sign up for an account by providing your email address and creating a password. Depending on the platform you choose, you may also need to provide your name, address, phone number and proof of ID to satisfy Know Your Customer and Anti-Money Laundering (KYC/AML) requirements.
Don’t forget to activate 2-factor authentication on your account (if it’s available) before depositing any funds.
Step 2. Deposit XRP into your account
Now it’s time to deposit the XRP you want to sell into your exchange wallet. To do this, you’ll need to log into your account, find the relevant wallet address for XRP, and make sure the tokens you deposit are sent to that address.
For example, Kraken users will need to click on the “Wallets” tab and select their XRP wallet. Then, it’s a matter of clicking “Generate Deposit Address” and using the address provided as the destination for your XRP transfer.
Step 3. Sell XRP
With the XRP you want to sell now in your exchange wallet, it’s time to click through to your exchange’s trading page and search for the pair you want to trade, such as XRP/USD. Then, you can specify the amount of XRP you want to sell and finalize your transaction.
For example, if you’re using Kraken, you can click the “Sell” tab at the top of the screen and search for XRP in the list of coins . Click “Sell XRP” and on the new screen you’re taken to, type the number of XRP you want to sell in the field provided. Select the currency you want to sell XRP for, such as USD, and click “Sell”.
Of course, whichever exchange you’re using, don’t forget to review the total cost and all the details of your transaction before finalizing the sale.
Step 4. Withdraw USD
The final thing you need to do is withdraw your fiat currency into your linked bank account. It’s usually pretty easy to find the “Withdraw” link once you’ve logged into your exchange account, but remember to take a moment to familiarize yourself with the fees, limits and processing times that apply.
For example, on Kraken, you can make a bank account withdrawal by clicking on the “Withdraw USD” link from your account dashboard.
Selling XRP for cryptocurrency
If you’ve decided that you want to exchange XRP for another digital currency, you can do so by following these steps:
Step 1. Create an account on an exchange that lists XRP
If you want to sell your XRP on the same platform you used to purchase them in the first place, skip ahead to step 2.
However, if you plan on using a new exchange for the trade, the first thing you’ll need to do is find out which exchanges support XRP, then check out the features they have to offer. Because XRP is one of the world’s biggest cryptocurrencies and listed on a huge range of exchanges, you’re spoiled for choice.
Review the fees and features of a number of exchanges to find one that’s right for your needs, then register for an account by providing your email address and creating a password. Some platforms will also need you to supply your name, address, phone number and proof of ID before you’ll be allowed to trade – this additional verification may be needed to satisfy Know Your Customer and Anti-Money Laundering (KYC/AML) regulations.
Remember to enable 2-factor authentication on your account before moving on to step 2.
Step 2. Deposit XRP into your account
You can now move the XRP you want to sell from your external wallet into your exchange wallet. This means you’ll need to find the XRP address of your exchange wallet so that you know exactly where to send your XRP when transferring them from an external wallet.
For example, if you’re selling XRP on Binance, click on “Deposits” in the “Funds” drop-down menu. Then you’ll need to select XRP as your deposit currency before copying your XRP wallet address or scanning the QR code.
Step 3. Sell XRP
The XRP you send should quickly arrive in your exchange wallet, which means it’s now time to navigate to the trading section of your chosen platform. You can then use the search box to find the currency pair you want to trade, such as XRP/BTC, and then specify how much XRP you want to sell or how much BTC you want to buy.
For example, on Binance you’ll need to click on “Exchange” and decide whether you want to use the “Basic” or “Advanced” trading view. If you’re a crypto trading novice, Basic is obviously the best option here.
You can then use the box on the right to search for the pair you want to trade, and then select the type of order you want to place. The final step is to type in the amount of XRP you want to sell and click on “Sell XRP”.
Don’t forget to review the full details of your transaction before you submit your order.
Step 4. Transfer your new digital currency to a secure wallet
If you want to store your newly acquired digital coins or tokens in your exchange wallet, you can. However, due to the security risks associated with crypto exchanges, it’s generally recommended that you move your digital currency into a secure wallet that allows you to retain control of your private key.
Transferring coins out of your account is quite easy to do. For example, you can do this on Binance by clicking on the “Withdrawals” link from the “Funds” menu, selecting the coin or token you want to transfer and then keying in the withdrawal amount and address.
Before you sell: Things to look out for
Regardless of whether you’re selling or buying, trading cryptocurrency is risky. Cryptos are complicated assets that are infamous for their price volatility, so it’s essential that you’re fully aware of all the risks associated with your transaction before you proceed with it. It’s also important to carefully consider the many factors that could potentially impact the price of the crypto you’re trading in the weeks and months ahead.
- Trading fees. How much will you need to pay in transaction fees when selling XRP? Does a flat fee apply to all transactions, or does the platform offer different fees to market makers and takers? Is there a tiered fee structure that entitles high-volume traders to lower commissions?
- Withdrawal fees and methods. Does the platform charge withdrawal fees? If so, how much are they? If you’re exchanging XRP for fiat currency, consider how you can withdraw the funds from your account and what payment methods are supported.
- Transaction limits. Are there any limits on how much XRP you can sell in one transaction or one day? Do limits apply to the maximum amount you can withdraw from your account?
- Type of platform used. The vast majority of crypto trades are placed on centralized exchanges, many of which are easy and convenient to use. However, they’re widely regarded to be less secure than decentralized exchanges, so consider the type of platform you want to use before trading.
- Verification process. What information and personal details will you need to provide to register with an exchange? How long will verification take?
- Security. What security features does the exchange offer? For example, is 2-factor authentication supported? How are customer funds stored? Has the exchange ever suffered any security breaches?
- Customer support. How can you get in touch with the exchange’s customer support team if you experience any problems with your transaction?
- Independent reviews. Finally, it’s also a good idea to check out some independent online reviews from other platform users. Have they had a good experience with the exchange, or have they experienced problems? Would they recommend it to other users?
Answering these questions and researching any platform you plan on using will help you find the right crypto exchange for your needs.
Disclosure: At the time of this writing, the author holds ADA, ICX, IOTA and XLM.