How to get an SR-22 with Central Mutual |

How to get an SR-22 with Central Mutual Insurance

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

If your driver’s license is suspended, you may find that you need an SR-22 to get back on the road. An SR-22 is not insurance — rather, it’s a certificate proving to your state that you have the minimum coverage required to get back on the road.

Laws and lingo regarding SR-22s vary by state. But no matter where you live, your first step to getting an SR-22 is finding a car insurance provider that’s licensed in your state.

Central Mutual Insurance offers auto coverage in 20 states on the East Coast and in the Southwest.

Other providers that provide SR-22 insurance

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Accident forgiveness Available states
All 50 states
Save up to 31% with safe driver discounts and bundling all your rides in one convenient policy.
Drive less than 30 miles a day? Save on the coverage you need with pay-per-mile insurance from Metromile. Get a low monthly rate then pay just a few cents per mile. Available in AZ, CA, IL, NJ, OR, PA, VA and WA.
All 50 states
Enjoy having your own dedicated agent to help you get the best discounts and coverage.
All 50 states
Car insurance through Liberty Mutual will give coverage options for almost any situation.
Root offers simple, affordable insurance that’s ideal for good drivers. Try the Root app for 2 weeks and see how much you could save. Available in 24 states.
All states except AK, DE, HI, MT, NH, VT, WY
Esurance offers a modern online and mobile experience that helps you take your insurance on the go. Available in 42 states.
All 50 states
Backed by nearly 100 years in the business, Farmers Insurance aims to offer options and support to help you find the coverage you need.
All states except Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan and New Jersey
The General offers affordable coverage for nearly any driver who needs car insurance.

Compare up to 4 providers

How do I get an SR-22 with Central Mutual?

Already have auto insurance with Central Mutual? An agent can help you determine your next steps to filing an SR-22.

You’ll need to tell your agent:

  • Your Central Mutual policy number, if you’re a customer.
  • The date your license was suspended.
  • How long you’ll need an SR-22.
  • Any other information about your recent conviction or violation.

Most providers take care of your SR-22 paperwork for a fee. Companies like Central Mutual typically charge between $25 and $50. But your biggest cost will come from an increase in your insurance premiums.

What if I’m not a Central Mutual customer?

You may be able to sign up with Central Mutual even if you’re under an SR-22 order. Call your local agent to discuss the possibility of picking up a policy and filing an SR-22.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance quotes from companies like Central.

Your information is secure.

Will Central Mutual raise my premiums if I file for an SR-22?

There’s a good chance your premiums will increase after an incident that leaves you considered a high-risk driver. Violations like DUI or driving while uninsured trigger the court to order an SR-22.

Central Mutual determines your rates by reviewing your driving history and considers your age, where you live and other factors. Ask your agent about ways that you can mitigate sharp increases in your premiums.

Will Central Mutual cancel my policy if I file for an SR-22?

It might. Central Mutual has the right to cancel a policy if one of its drivers is considered high risk. Some high-risk drivers report being denied coverage through Central Mutual.

If you’re not able to continue a policy with Central Mutual, you’ll have time to secure new coverage with another provider before ending your policy. Look into high-risk insurance providers to get started.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance quotes from companies like Central.

Your information is secure.

How will I know if I need an SR-22?

Each state has different requirements when it comes to SR-22s. Your local DMV will notify you if you need an SR-22.

Depending on where you live and drive, you may need an SR-22 because:

  • You’ve racked up too many points on your driving record.
  • You’re convicted of a DUI, reckless driving or a similar serious conviction.
  • You’re caught driving while uninsured.
  • Your driver’s license is suspended.

How long will I be required to file SR-22 documents?

State courts decide how long an SR-22 is required based on your violation and driving history, though most require at least three years. In some states, a DUI can get you five to 10 years with an SR-22.

If you have a lapse in coverage or commit another violation while under an SR-22, your time may start over, resetting the clock as to how long you’re required to file for one. Pay your Central Mutual bill on time, avoid trouble on the road and contact your Central Mutual agent with any questions.

What happens when I don’t need an SR-22 anymore?

Once you’re notified that you’ve met your SR-22 requirement, let your Central Mutual agent know. After it’s confirmed with the state, your SR-22 is removed from your policy — and you may be eligible for more reasonable premiums.

What if I don’t have a car?

Don’t own a vehicle but need an SR-22? Get coverage through a non-owner policy. This type of insurance covers you as a driver, not the car you’ll drive. Even if you drive occasionally, you will need car insurance.

Central Mutual may be able to file a non-owner SR-22 on your behalf. Once you’ve paid your policy, your agent can certify you’re insured with the DMV through an SR-22.

Get cheap SR-22 insurance

Compare SR-22 car insurance quotes from companies like Central.

Your information is secure.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site