State Farm is America’s largest auto insurance provider by no small margin, serving 45 million auto policies throughout the US. Still, that doesn’t mean you won’t eventually want to cancel you coverage.
Whether you found a better rate elsewhere or no longer need auto insurance, it’s easy to cancel your policy with State Farm.
What are the ways to cancel my State Farm car insurance?
State Farm’s straightforward site allows customers nearly full control of their policies. But while you can add, change and drop coverage through State Farm’s online platform or app, you can’t cancel your policy online.
To fully cancel your policy, you must mail in a request, call an agent or send a fax. In some cases, your agent may also ask you to send written notice by fax or mail.
Here’s how to cancel your auto insurance with State Farm.
Cancel by phone
- First, locate your local State Farm agent. If you can’t find your agent, call State Farm’s help line at 800-782-8332.
- Explain that you’d like to cancel your policy. You’ll typically need your policy number, name, date of birth and Social Security number. If you’re canceling because you’ve sold your vehicle, you might also need to provide provide proof of your vehicle’s plate forfeiture or bill of sale.
- Cancellations by phone are typically effective immediately, but ask for confirmation to prevent any fees or complications in the future.
Many states require you to inform the DMV when you cancel or change your auto insurance, but check your specific state’s guidelines or ask your agent if this is necessary.
- If you’re planning on getting back on the road with a different provider, the agent might ask for your new provider’s name, policy number and effective date.
Cancel by mail or fax
To cancel your policy, write a letter that includes:
- Your name, address and phone number.
- Your State Farm policy number, and the date and time you want your policy to end.
- If you’re switching providers, your new insurer’s name, policy number and policy start date.
- If you’ve sold your vehicle, proof of your bill of sale or plate forfeiture.
Sign, date and mail your letter at least two weeks before your intended cancellation date, leaving time for shipping and processing, to:
State Farm Insurance
One State Farm Plaza
Bloomington, IL 61710
Or fax your letter to 888-633-0405 or 905-750-5002.
Cancel in person
State Farm operates branches and agents all across the country, making it easy to walk in and cancel your policy.
To cancel in person, take along:
- Your name, address and phone number.
Your State Farm policy number, and the date and time you want your policy to end.
If you’re switching providers, your new insurer’s name, policy number and policy start date.
If you’ve sold your vehicle, proof of your bill of sale or plate forfeiture.
State Farm’s cancellation policy
State Farm generally doesn’t charge a fee to cancel your policy. It also offers prorated refunds — meaning you’ll receive a refund for all outstanding premiums if you cancel early.
Do I need to have a new policy before canceling my policy with State Farm?
State Farm doesn’t require you to have another policy in place before canceling coverage unless you plan to continue driving the same vehicle right away.
It’s illegal to drive without auto insurance in most states, so you may need a new policy before canceling to prevent a lapse in coverage. In this case, State Farm might ask for the details of your new coverage.
If you don’t plan to continue driving, tell your agent when you cancel.
If you’ve sold your vehicle, you’ll need prove that you’ve surrendered or transferred your vehicle’s plates or a bill of sale for your vehicle. Some states require you to carry insurance on a vehicle until you turn in your plates, so be aware that State Farm may directly notify your state’s DMV of your lapse in coverage.