Simply pick up the phone to cancel with this online insurance provider.
Esurance is known for its accessible online system and innovative mobile apps. Whether you’re selling your vehicle or you found cheaper car insurance elsewhere, here’s how to cancel your auto insurance policy with Esurance.
How do I cancel Esurance?
Esurance allows customers full control of their policies online — almost. Customers can sign up, change, manage and even drop parts of their coverage without picking up the phone. However, in order to cancel your coverage, you’ll need to call an agent.
How to cancel by phone
- Prepare your supporting documents including policy number. Some state laws might also require proof of new insurance, plate forfeiture or bill of sale, depending on your reason for canceling.
- Call 800-378-7262 to speak with a licensed agent.
- Cancellations are often effective immediately, but you can also schedule your policy to end on a specific date in the future.
- Ask for confirmation to prevent extra fees or complications.
- Notify your state’s DMV if you have a lapse in coverage. Many states require you to inform the DMV when you cancel or change your auto insurance, so check your state’s guidelines or ask your agent.
Ready to cancel? Compare Esurance to other providers
Ready to cancel? Compare car insurance quotes
|Company||Average annual rate||Learn more|
|21st Century||$1,701||Read review|
|State Farm||$2,474||Read review|
|The Hartford||$2,529||Read review|
|Liberty Mutual||$2,611||Read review|
|Average||$1,910||Compare all reviews|
Esurance’s cancellation policy
Esurance’s straightforward cancellation policy allows you to easily cancel coverage, but you may be faced with fees. Since coverage with Esurance is prepaid, you will receive a prorated refund if you cancel before the end of your term. However, you’ll typically pay a flat fee of $50, or in some cases 10% of your remaining premium balance. Cancellation fees, refunds and policies vary depending on your state, so it’s best to call or refer to the terms and conditions page.
How do I avoid paying the cancellation fee?
If you cancel your policy with Esurance before the end of your term, you will likely be subject to a cancellation fee. But you can avoid this fee by waiting until your policy comes up for renewal. Let Esurance know that you want your policy to end when your current term expires and you can avoid any penalty fees.
Do I need to have a new policy in place before canceling my policy with Esurance?
No, in general Esurance doesn’t require you to have another policy in place before canceling coverage. However, your state’s laws may require proof that you’ve surrendered or transferred your vehicle’s plates, a bill of sale for your vehicle or proof that you’ve switched insurance providers if you plan to keep driving.
It’s illegal to drive without auto insurance. Make sure that you understand your state’s requirements for car insurance before getting back on the road. Some states require you to carry insurance on a vehicle until you turn in your license plate, so be aware that Esurance may directly notify your state’s DMV of your cancellation.
Which car insurance provider is best for me?
Looking to save on car insurance? Answer these three questions to find a provider that best fits your needs and budget.
Question 1 of 2
Based on your answers, check out:
What should I consider before cancelling my insurance with Esurance?
- Does your state require proof of new insurance? It is illegal to drive without car insurance, so make sure there is no lapse in your coverage by having new car insurance in place before canceling your current policy if you intend to continue driving.
- When is the best time to cancel or switch providers? Life changes like getting married, buying a house or having a baby might be good times to shop around for a new policy. Or toward the end of the policy, because you might get new member discounts at another provider.
- How much time do I need to switch policies? Because you can only cancel your insurance with Esurance by phone, your cancellation can be effective immediately.
- Will I pay a cancellation fee? If you cancel before your current policy’s term expires, you will be subject to an early cancellation fee. In order to avoid this penalty, you can cancel your policy when it comes up for renewal.
- Do I need to set up new insurance? Yes, if you plan to continue driving, you must have new insurance so that there is no lapse in coverage.
Can I cancel at any time?
Yes, it is your right to cancel your car insurance. But make sure you don’t have a lapse in coverage by having new insurance in place before cancelling if you will continue to drive. Your new insurance provider will likely be able to help you with this.
Should I cancel or adjust my policy?
If you’re not happy with your provider and can’t get a resolution, canceling your policy outright might be the way to go. Or you might have found a better rate at another provider. But first compare all of your car insurance options to find the right provider for you.
However, there are benefits to sticking with your current provider and adjusting your policy. Esurance offers many discounts. If your driving record has improved or you bought a house, these are life events that can bring the cost of your coverage down. Check with your agent to see what discounts and options might be available for you. Even threatening to cancel your policy might prompt the agent to offer you a discount in an effort to retain you as a customer.
Can a family member or friend cancel my insurance for me?
No. Car insurance is a legal contract, meaning that only the policyholder can cancel. Exceptions are only made for someone who’s designated as your power of attorney — this is the only other person that can cancel your coverage, but esurance will require proof of POA.
Compare companies side by side
Canceling your insurance with Esurance is as easy as picking up the phone, but make sure you have new car insurance coverage before canceling if you plan on driving.