Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy BitTorrent (BTT)
A beginner's guide to buying and selling BTT in the US.
How to buy BitTorrent
Look for an exchange that supports both fiat and cryptocurrency to simplify buying BitTorrent.
- Open an account on an exchange that supports BTT.
Most exchanges require an email address, phone number and proof of ID to register.
- Deposit funds into your account.
Fund your account with a bank transfer, pay with a credit or debit card or deposit cryptocurrency from a crypto wallet to buy BitTorrent.
- Buy BitTorrent.
Complete your BitTorrent purchase and then find the best wallet to store BTT.
What is BitTorrent?
BitTorrent is one of the most famous peer-to-peer protocols on the internet, used to transfer files between users around the world in a process known as "torrenting", with an estimated 250 million monthly users. It is somewhat notorious thanks to its involvement in sharing pirated material, despite being owned and operated by a legal entity, BitTorrent Inc – which is now owned by blockchain platform TRON.
The BitTorrent Token (BTT) is a relatively new addition to the network, used for purchasing a faster download speed on the network. Seeders (the name given to people who upload files) can then earn BTT which is meant to incentivize increased activity and bandwidth on the network. It operates on top of the Tron blockchain as a TRC-10 token.
BitTorrent (BTT) is the 28th largest cryptocurrency in the world by market cap, valued at $5,453,845,541. The current price of BitTorrent is $0.008, which is 0.000% lower than yesterday. Prices have ranged between $0.009 and $0.008 over the past 24 hours. All prices are listed in US dollars and accurate as of April 21, 2021 06:04 UTC.
Where to buy BitTorrentFind an exchange to buy, sell and trade BTT by comparing deposit methods, supported fiat currencies and fees. Select Go to site to sign up directly with the provider.
BitTorrent coin priceUse our graph to track the performance of BTT over time.
BitTorrent at a glance
|Total BTT supply||990,000,000,000|
BitTorrent price performance over time
How to sell BitTorrent
You can cash out your BTT with the same exchange you bought it through:
- Sign in to the exchange you have BTT on.
If you store your BitTorrent in a digital wallet, compare crypto exchanges to sell it on.
- Place a sell order.
Choose the amount of BTT you'd like to sell.
- Complete your transaction.
Confirm the sell price and fees and close your sale of BitTorrent.
What to consider when buying BitTorrentThe success of BTT is connected to the sometimes controversial BitTorrent protocol as well as the Tron blockchain, which means you should keep a few things in mind before buying BTT.
- Legal: Torrenting is not illegal, but torrenting files (like Hollywood films) without the permission of the copyright owner is. If you plan on using the BTT token for torrenting, make sure to only download files you have permission to. Hackers will also
- Buying vs earning: BTT is relatively simple to earn. Tokens are awarded for uploading torrents (seeding) with a compatible client, like uTorrent Classic or BitTorrent Web. Seeders will need to set up their wallet before they can earn or spend tokens. Alternatively, BTT can always be bought on a cryptocurrency exchange and sent to a wallet for use.
- Controversy: BitTorrent was purchased by the Tron Foundation in 2008, which manages development of the Tron blockchain. Tron is operated by Justin Sun, who has a history of controversy, mainly due to allegations the Tron whitepaper is a copy of Ethereum. Since being acquired by Tron, BitTorrent employees have raised concerns about the new direction of the company – especially into cryptocurrency.
Ask an Expert