HiRoad Assurance Company car insurance review
Reap driving credits on top of discounts based on last month’s safety skills.
finder.com's rating: 5 / 5
- Get a quote if you live in Rhode Island and want to improve your driving.
- Pick something else if you drive a lot.
- May work well for high-risk drivers like teens.
New car protection
|States served||Rhode Island|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
No info available
- Instant coverage
- Rates based on your actual driving
- Many discounts, especially for safe drivers
- Gives driving scores
- Only available in one state
- Basic coverage
- New company on the block
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
HiRoad stands apart in the mileage-based car insurance world because it discounts your premium based on your driving skills shown in the previous month. New customers even get an automatic 25% off the base rate to jumpstart their savings, showing HiRoad’s good faith in future safe driving. Not to mention the company also offers multicar and antitheft discounts along with credits toward your premium for completing driving challenges.
However, the company only covers Rhode Island drivers with standard coverage, and high mileage can dock your savings. If these downsides lead you to look elsewhere, consider other car insurance options and find the best fit your needs.
How to apply for HiRoad Assurance car insurance.
You can easily apply for HiRoad car insurance online in a few easy steps:
- Go to HiRoad’s website.
- Select the Get a quote.
- Complete a series of questions about basic personal information. Click Next: Cars.
- Enter basic information about your car. Click Next: Drivers.
- Answer basic questions about the drivers on your policy. Hit Next: Coverages.
- Choose the standard and add-on coverage you need.
- Review your information, receive your quote and finalize your policy.
What discounts can I get with HiRoad Assurance?
HiRoad features several discounts to reduce your rates:
- Antitheft. The extra safety of a theft alarm or GPS tracking could shave even more dollars off your premium.
- Multicar. If you insure more than one car, you can qualify for a discount.
- New customer. Get 25% off your first month’s premium when you sign up.
- Current customers. Receive a discount if your spouse or partner is a current HiRoad customer.
- Challenge rewards. Drivers can complete special challenges to earn credits toward their monthly payment, such as $5 for setting up the app.
- Refer a friend. Get a $25 credit towards your monthly premium for signing up a friend.
What insurance coverage does HiRoad offer?
HiRoad offers the coverage you’d expect from your car insurance, such as collision and comprehensive. Other coverage includes:
- Bodily injury liability. Covers injuries when the accident was your fault.
- Property damage liability. Pays to repair or replace the car or property of the other driver if you were at fault.
- Collision. Pays for damage to your car if you hit another car or object like a tree or sign.
- Comprehensive. Covers damage to your car resulting from situations like theft, bad weather or vandalism.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. Pays for your injuries and car damage when the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance.
- Medpay or personal injury protection. Covers medical payments for you and your passengers regardless of whose fault the accident was.
- Rental reimbursement. Reimburses the cost of a rental car while your car is being repaired or covers ridesharing up to $40 a day.
- Roadside assistance. Offers assistance for towing and minor repairs through an app or 24-hour emergency line.
Alternative to HiRoad Assurance
How does HiRoad work?
HiRoad is a telematics car insurance company that monitors basic driving habits through an app. After downloading the app, just keep your phone with you and location services turned on to track your driving.
For your first month, you’ll get a 25% discount off the base rate, which is the maximum rate HiRoad can charge you for insurance.
After your first month, the app uses your previous month’s driving history to calculate a discount on your premium. You can also earn credits toward your next bill for completing challenges as prompted by the app.
Pros and cons of HiRoad
- Instant coverage. Your policy starts as soon as you finalize your first payment.
- Rates based on your actual driving. Since HiRoad uses the previous month’s driving data, you can aim to drive more safely and earn a higher discount each month.
- Many discount opportunities. Many mileage-based companies don’t offer discounts on top of their driving discounts, but HiRoad does.
- Gives driving scores. The app gives driving scores based on six rating factors to help you understand how you received that month’s rate and how to improve.
- Available in one state. HiRoad insurance coverage is available only in Rhode Island.
- Basic coverage. HiRoad does not offer add-on coverage, such as gap insurance.
- New company on the block. The company has only been around since 2017. Even though they are owned by State Farm, there isn’t enough history to see how well they treat their customers and payout claims.
How does HiRoad determine my car insurance premium?
HiRoad analyzes your driving habits and calculates a discount based on these factors:
- Number of trips. The more you drive, the greater the chance of an accident.
- Speed. Driving at or under the speed limit can bring you a lower rate.
- Braking. Hard braking may show that you’re not planning ahead for stops, which is considered risky driving behavior.
- Time and location. You face a greater chance for an accident if you drive in crowded locations or at night.
- Acceleration. Speeding up gradually shows calm and potentially watchful driving.
- Cornering. Smooth cornering keeps you in control of your car.
Frequently asked questions about HiRoad Assurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.