Shop-local advocates will love personalized service and community expertise from local agents.
When shopping for quotes from big-name companies, you can sometimes feel like just another number. Midwestern residents looking to choose a regional carrier with a solid background might like the small-town focus of Hastings Mutual Insurance Company.
Hastings Mutual has a long history in the Midwest, offering straightforward policies through local independent agents. It’s known for friendly customer service that’s led to long-term relationships for many drivers.
Need auto insurance in the Midwest? This regional insurance carrier works through local agents to offer rates and service customers praise.
|States served||Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin|
|Pay schedule||6 months|
|New car protection||Yes, cars under 1 year old & 400 miles|
- Caring customer service reps.
- Low rates with multiple discounts available.
- Trusted agents at an established company.
- Available in six states.
- No online quotes.
Who is Hastings Mutual best for?
This regional carrier is best for drivers that value customer service and want a local agent. Hastings Mutual only covers six states in the Midwest, but it strives to develop significant and positive relationships with its customers. If you want a company with comparable auto insurance rates and community-oriented values, Hastings Mutual should be on your list.
What is Hastings Mutual Insurance Company?
Hastings Mutual is a regional insurance company that writes insurance policies for residents of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. The company works through a network of 619 independent agencies.
In operation since 1885, Hastings Mutual is named for the city it’s headquartered in: Hastings, Michigan. This insurer provides personal, commercial and farm insurance policies in addition to basic auto insurance policies that include standard coverage options and discounts. The company has won multiple local rewards and recognitions for outstanding service.
What car insurance coverage does Hastings Mutual offer?
Hastings Mutual provides straightforward coverage options that include:
- Collision coverage. Pays for the repairs when vehicles are damaged in an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage. Pays for the repairs from any incident that is not a collision, like theft, vandalism and weather.
- Liability protection. If you’re in an at-fault accident, pays for the other person’s car repairs and medical expenses.
- Uninsured motorist protection. If you’re in an accident and the at-fault party is either uninsured or has poor coverage, this pays for damages or medical expenses.
- Roadside assistance. If your car breaks down, provides such services as towing, fixing a flat tire, unlocking a vehicle or charging a dead battery.
Hastings Mutual car insurance rates
Customers say that rates for Hastings Mutual are reasonable. While the company is regional and you may not be able to get the lowest rates that some national bargain insurance companies offer, you aren’t paying a premium either.
What discounts can I get with Hastings Mutual?
Hasting Mutual offers multiple discounts and credits on its policies.
- Claim-free discount. Get rewarded for maintaining a clean record.
- Multipolicy discount. Pull together your home and auto policies for a discount.
- Good student discount. Show proof of top grades to shave a percentage off your premium.
- Defensive driving discount. Take a safety class to earn a discount.
What is Hastings Mutual’s Multi-Protection Guard?
All Hastings Mutual policies that include liability or collision insurance for at least one vehicle get the extra protection of this program that extends coverage for:
- Travel interruption. Protect yourself against the expenses resulting from a wreck that sidetracks your vacation while on a trip more than 100 miles from your home.
- Pet injury coverage. After a car accident that injures your furry friend, you’ll get help to pay the vet bills. Coverage also includes a pet accidental death benefit.
- New vehicle replacement cost. Get additional protection for cars that you’ve owned less than a year with fewer than 400 miles.
- Rental vehicle coverage. If you damage a rental car, your policy covers the loss.
- Original equipment manufacturer. Get OEM parts for repairs on your car that’s a current model year or has fewer than 20,000 miles.
What’s not covered by Hastings Mutual?
Hastings Mutual isn’t transparent about exclusions or coverage maximums online. Call an agent if you need a high-limit umbrella policy or coverage for your Maserati.
Pros and cons
- Friendly customer service. Hastings Mutual focuses on providing A+ customer service and promoting strong relationships with its customers.
- Established history. Hastings Mutual has 130 years of service under its belt.
- Multipolicy discounts. Get significant discounts by bundling your homeowners, renters and business policies.
- Low rates. Customers positively review Hastings Mutual for its low auto insurance rates.
- Limited service. Coverage is available in six midwestern states only: Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio.
- No online application. You must call a local agent for a quote and to apply for a policy.
- Lacking website. The website is sparse. For details on policies and discounts, you’ll need to speak with an agent.
What do customers say about Hastings Mutual?
Hasting Mutual is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it does earn an A+ from the organization. And it’s generally well reviewed, with customers mentioning friendly customer service and dependability positively. Hastings Mutual is also praised for offering low rates and consistently checking for potential new discounts.
Customer complaints and negative reviews generally involve billing issues or discrepancies. However, Hastings Mutual customers sound like they’re loyal to the brand.
How to apply
What info do I need to apply?
It’s free to become a registered user on Hastings Mutual’s site. To open your account, you’ll need to enter your:
Hastings doesn’t offer a way to easily apply online.
If you live in one of the six states it services, you’ll need to find your closest agent and apply through them.
How do I find a Hastings Mutual agent near me?
Go to the Hastings Mutual website and click Find an Agent in the top right-hand corner. Enter your ZIP code to see a list of agent locations near you.
Many agencies that offer Hastings Mutual coverage are local businesses with storefronts and offer walk-in appointments, which could be valuable if you like working directly with an agent.
How to make a claim
To file a car insurance claim, go to the Hastings Mutual website and click Report a Claim. The site walks you through the claims form, which asks for your:
- Policy number and details.
- Your agency number or agent information.
- The date, time and location of the accident.
- Names and contact information for passengers or witnesses.
- License plate numbers for all vehicles involved.
- Photos of damage to any vehicle, if you’ve taken them.
To speak with a representative, call your local agent or the insurer’s emergency claim line at 1-800-442-8277.
How to contact Hastings Mutual
For help with managing your policy, call your Hastings Mutual agent.
For general questions about quotes, coverage and policies, call 1-800-442-8277 or submit the online contact form with your name, email, account or policy number and message, and a representative will reach out.
Does Hastings Mutual offer other types of insurance?
Yes. Hastings Mutual offers policies to cover your business, home and farm, including
- Business auto insurance
- Business owners insurance
- Choice auto repair service
- Employment practices liability insurance
- Farm insurance
- Homeowners insurance
- Rental insurance
- Tenant and condo owners insurance
- Personal umbrella insurance
What are some alternatives to Hastings Mutual?
If you’re looking for an alternate regional insurance carrier that’s local to the Midwest, check out Central Insurance Companies or Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company.
Central Insurance Companies offers similar discounts on its auto insurance policies, including multipolicy, e-bill, paid-in-full, good student, safe teen driver discounts and many others. With Midwest Family Mutual, you’ll find discounts that include multicar, mature driver, multipolicy, auto safety discounts and more. You’ll need to contact an agent to get more information on pricing, as neither of these providers offer online quotes at this time.
Compare car insurance providers
Hastings Mutual Insurance Company caters to a local midwestern clientele that values a community-based carrier. If you want an auto insurance company with solid customer service and local agents, call an agent for a quote.
If you’re looking for a larger company with national name recognition and robust online capabilities, you might want to shop around before picking up a policy.