Hastings Mutual car insurance review Oct 2021
Midwest drivers will love Hastings' personalized service and community expertise from local agents.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want low rates and great customer service.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in the Midwest.
- Best for Midwestern drivers who want local agents and an established company.
New car protection
|States served||Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||6 months|
- Caring customer service reps.
- Low rates with multiple discounts available.
- Trusted agents at an established company.
- Available in six states.
- No online quotes.
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance expert who's driven to help people get a great deal on insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a BA in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade, showing up on Bankrate, MSN and Reader's Digest.
Hastings Mutual Insurance Company caters to a local midwestern clientele that values a community-based carrier. And its customer satisfaction rates reflect that personal touch. If you want an auto insurance company with solid customer service and local agents, call an agent for a quote.
If you’re looking for a larger company with national name recognition and robust online capabilities, you might want to shop around before picking up a policy. Hastings doesn’t do digital well because its focus is on personalized agent support.
How to apply for Hastings car insurance
Hastings doesn’t offer a way to easily apply online. If you live in one of the six states it services, you’ll need to find your closest agent and apply through them.
How do I find a Hastings Mutual agent near me?
Go to the Hastings Mutual website and click Find an Agent in the top right-hand corner. Enter your ZIP code to see a list of agent locations near you.
Many agencies that offer Hastings Mutual coverage are local businesses with storefronts and offer walk-in appointments, which could be valuable if you like working directly with an agent.
What discounts can I get with Hastings Mutual?
Hasting Mutual offers multiple discounts and credits on its policies, including:
- Claim-free discount. Get rewarded for maintaining a clean record.
- Bundling discount. Pull together your home and auto policies for a discount.
- Good student discount. Show proof of top grades to shave a percentage off your premium.
- Defensive driving discount. Take a safety class to earn a discount.
- Paid in full. Pay your premiums up front to save on your bill.
- Paperless bills. Pay online only to save paper and money.
What car insurance coverage does Hastings Mutual offer?
This insurer provides personal, commercial and farm insurance policies in addition to basic auto insurance policies that include standard coverage options and discounts. Hastings Mutual provides straightforward coverage options that include:
- Collision coverage. Pays for the repairs when vehicles are damaged in an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage. Pays for the repairs from any incident that is not a collision, like theft, vandalism and weather.
- Liability protection. If you’re in an at-fault accident, pays for the other person’s car repairs and medical expenses.
- Uninsured motorist protection. If you’re in an accident and the at-fault party is either uninsured or has poor coverage, this pays for damages or medical expenses.
- Roadside assistance. If your car breaks down, provides such services as towing, fixing a flat tire, unlocking a vehicle or charging a dead battery.
What is Hastings Mutual’s Multi-Protection Guard?
All Hastings Mutual policies that include liability or collision insurance for at least one vehicle get the extra protection of this program that extends coverage for:
- Travel interruption. Protect yourself against the expenses resulting from a wreck that sidetracks your vacation while on a trip more than 100 miles from your home.
- Pet injury coverage. After a car accident that injures your furry friend, you’ll get help to pay the vet bills. Coverage also includes a pet accidental death benefit.
- New vehicle replacement cost. Get additional protection for cars that you’ve owned less than a year with fewer than 400 miles.
- Rental vehicle coverage. If you damage a rental car, your policy covers the loss.
- Original equipment manufacturer. Get OEM parts for repairs on your car that’s a current model year or has fewer than 20,000 miles.
Hastings Mutual car insurance reviews and complaints
Hastings Mutual is a regional insurance company that writes insurance policies for residents of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin through a network of 619 independent agencies.The company has won multiple local rewards for outstanding service.
Hasting Mutual is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it does earn an A+ from the organization, as of October 2020. And it’s generally well reviewed, with customers mentioning friendly customer service and dependability positively. Hastings Mutual is also praised for offering low rates and consistently checking for potential new discounts.
Customer complaints and negative reviews generally involve billing issues or discrepancies. However, Hastings Mutual customers sound like they’re loyal to the brand.
Compare alternatives to Hastings car insurance
Pros and cons of Hastings car insurance
- Friendly customer service. Hastings Mutual focuses on providing A+ customer service and promoting strong relationships with its customers.
- Established history. Hastings Mutual has 130 years of service under its belt.
- Multipolicy discounts. Get significant discounts by bundling your homeowners, renters and business policies.
- Low rates. Customers positively review Hastings Mutual for its low auto insurance rates.
- Limited service. Coverage is available in six midwestern states only: Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio.
- No online application. You must call a local agent for a quote and to apply for a policy.
- Lacking website. The website is sparse. For details on policies and discounts, you’ll need to speak with an agent.
How to make a car insurance claim with Hastings
To file a car insurance claim, go to the Hastings Mutual website and click Report a Claim. The site walks you through the claims form, which asks for your:
- Policy number and details.
- Your agency number or agent information.
- The date, time and location of the accident.
- Names and contact information for passengers or witnesses.
- License plate numbers for all vehicles involved.
- Photos of damage to any vehicle, if you’ve taken them.
To speak with a representative, call your local agent or the insurer’s emergency claim line at 1-800-442-8277.
How to contact Hastings Mutual
For help with managing your policy, call your Hastings Mutual agent.
For general questions about quotes, coverage and policies, call 1-800-442-8277 or submit the online contact form with your name, email, account or policy number and message, and a representative will reach out.
Frequently asked questions about Hastings Mutual
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.