Grange car insurance review
Personalized local car insurance for drivers in the Midwest and Southeast
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want customized, local support.
- Pick something else if you want lots of discounts.
- Find policies for classic cars, bikes, boats, RVs and more
New car protection
|States served||Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|New car protection||No|
- Local agents and friendly customer service
- Easy-to-use online account
- Customized insurance plans
- Limited availability based on location
- Customer complaints of delayed claims processing
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 8%|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||Yes|
Gabrielle Pastorek is a staff writer at finder.com, helping readers round up the best deals, coupons, retailers, products and services to save money and make decisions. She holds an MFA from the University of Pittsburgh, and her essays and short stories can be found in The Collagist, Blue Monday Review, Blotterature and others. When she’s not writing, Gabrielle can be found out in the barn with her horse, Lucy.
This insurance provider is best for those who are looking for a local insurance provider with personalized service rather than a larger national company. If you also have a home or business that needs to be insured, bundling your auto insurance policy with Grange Insurance’s other insurance options can help you save even more.
But its policies are only available in a handful of states in the South. Grange Insurance is still a smaller, yet growing company, and some customers find that Grange customer service reps can be hard to get in contact with if you have an open claim.
What car insurance coverage does Grange offer?
Grange car insurance is available for drivers in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin. Grange Insurance offers a wide range of auto insurance coverage options, including:
- Bodily injury liability. Covers medical and funeral expenses for an accident you’re found legally responsible for. Most states require this coverage.
- Property damage liability. Most state require coverage to property damages for an accident you’re found legally responsible for.
- Collision. If your car is damaged in an accident, collision coverage will pay for the cost of repairs. If you have a car loan, your bank will probably require this coverage.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for anything other than collision damage, such as theft, fire or vandalism. Some banks may require comprehensive coverage if you’re making car loan payments.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. If you’re hurt or your car is damaged in an accident caused by someone else with insufficient or no insurance, your covered.
- Full glass repair and towing and labor. Covers the cost of broken or cracked glass. Also pays for towing and labor costs if something happens and you need assistance, like locking yourself out of your car.
- Rental car reimbursement. Reimburse you for the cost of your rental car while yours is being fixed after a covered accident.
- Pet injury and mobile device coverage. Get coverage for medical bills for injured pets, as well as damaged mobile devices in the event of an accident.
- Identity theft. If your car is stolen or broken into, you could be at risk for identity theft. This will cover you in case your personal information is compromised as the result of a covered accident.
- Original equipment manufacturer coverage. This coverage ensures that parts from your car’s original manufacturer are used when it is repaired.
- Loan or lease gap coverage. If you’re making payments on your car and total it in an accident, this protection will cover the difference in cost between what the car is worth and what you still owed on it.
- Personal umbrella. Covers the jury award or settlement if you’re sued for property damage or personal injuries that were legally caused by you in an accident.
What car insurance discounts can I get with Grange?
Car insurance discount opportunities with Grange Insurance can vary based on your state, so be sure to discuss your options with your local agent before finalizing your policy. Below are a few of the general ways you can save with Grange car insurance.
- Insurance bundle. Grange also offers boat, RV, motorcycle, home, business and life insurance policies. Bundle these with your car insurance to get a better rate.
- Good student discount. If you have a teen on your policy and they excel in the classroom, your monthly premium could drop.
- Distant student discount. If your teen driver is away at college, you can make them an occasional or pleasure driver on your policy and save.
- Safe driver discount. If you and the other drivers on your insurance policy have clean driving records, you could get a deal on your monthly premium.
- Paid-in-full discount. You might be able to snag a discount if you pay your insurance premium for the year in one lump sum instead of spreading it over 12 months.
Pros and cons of Grange car insurance
- Customized insurance plans. No matter your budget, Grange Insurance will work with you to create a car insurance policy that meets your needs.
- Easy-to-use online account. Create an online account with Grange and easily file a claim, pay your bill, print insurance cards and more.
- Personalized customer service. Grange Insurance uses local agents so you’ll have someone to help you understand your policy that you can call or visit who’s in your neighborhood.
- Limited customer base. Grange Insurance is only currently available to drivers in 13 states.
- Claims process can be delayed. Some customers complain that their claims process took too long to complete, leaving them without payment or reimbursement for longer than expected.
Compare Grange car insurance competitors
What do customers say about Grange Insurance?
Grange Insurance has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau since 1970 and earns an A+ rating. For the most part, customers are happy with friendly and helpful customer service representatives, as well as the company’s competitive auto and home insurance rates. Lots of loyal customers have had Grange Insurance for more than 30 years.
However, there are some complaints from people who have been involved in an accident with Grange customers who feel that the company delayed the claims process and made it difficult to get answers about their claim from a customer service rep.
While a slow claims process isn’t something you want to hear from customer reviews or experience first hand, it’s a fairly typical complaint of insurers, and Grange seems to have fewer complaints than many of the big-name providers.
How to apply for Grange car insurance coverage
Grange offers auto insurance through local agencies, so you’ll need to talk to a local provider to get a quote.
- Go to Grange Insurance’s website and click Find an Agent.
- Enter your ZIP code and choose from the list of Grange Insurance providers on the map.
- Contact the provider you wish to use to begin the process of customizing your policy.
What info do I need to apply?
The information you’ll need to apply for car insurance may vary based on the local provider you choose. Generally speaking, have the following information on hand:
- Your basic personal information, such as your name and address.
- Your car’s VIN or the make, model and package of the car you’d like to insure.
- Information for any drivers you’d like to add to your policy.
How do I find a Grange Insurance agent near me?
To find an agent near you:
- Go to the Grange Insurance website homepage and click Find an Agent.
- Enter your ZIP code on the next page, and you’ll see a list of providers in your area.
How to make a car insurance claim with Grange
If you need to file a car insurance claim with Grange Insurance, you can do so 24/7 by either logging into your Grange account on its website or calling 800-445-3030. For auto glass claims, log into your account or call 800-951-9734.
Whether you file your claim online or by phone, be ready to provide this information:
- Your policy number.
- The date, time and location of the accident or incident.
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of registered owners, injured people, occupants of other cars and witnesses.
- Description and license numbers of the other cars involved.
- Photos taken after the accident or incident.
- Police report number, if applicable.
How to contact Grange Insurance
Get in touch with Grange Insurance customer service:
- By phone. Call 800-422-0550 for general information.
- By email. Go to the Grange Insurance website and click Contact Us at the bottom of the page. Choose the Email option on the left side of the screen, and fill out the secure online contact form to send an email.
- By mail.
PO Box 1218
Columbus, OH 43216-1218
Frequently asked questions about Grange car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.