Grange car insurance review
Get top-rated local support in the Midwest and Southeast without sacrificing on coverage options.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if personalized, local support is your top priority.
- Pick something else if you can’t get your preferred rate or discounts.
- Only drivers in Grange’s service area can get coverage
New car protection
|States served||Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
- Local agents and friendly customer service
- Easy-to-use online account
- Customized insurance plans
- Limited availability based on location
- Customer complaints of delayed claims processing
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 8%|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
Gabrielle Pastorek is the shopping and travel publisher at Finder, helping readers to round up the best deals, coupons, retailers, products and services to make sound financial decisions. She's contributed more than 800 articles to the site and is a quoted expert in Best Company and DealNews. She earned an MFA from the University of Pittsburgh, with essays and short stories published in The Collagist, Blue Monday Review, Blotterature and others. When she’s not writing, Gabrielle can be found out in the barn with her horse, Lucy.
Grange Insurance first planted roots in Central Ohio in 1935, later spreading its reach to customers across 13 states. Grange’s best benefit is its local customer service, and its track record of positive customer reviews proves that Grange is exceeding expectations.
You also get a variety of coverage options that you don’t find with most local insurance companies. Safe drivers can take advantage of savings through Grange’s OnTrack telematics program, which tracks your driving and discounts your premium accordingly.
But Grange’s policies are only available in a handful of states, and some customers find that claims reps are hard to reach when dealing with a claim.
Grange works best if you’re looking for a local insurance company with personalized service rather than a large national company.
How to get a free quote for Grange car insurance
Grange offers auto insurance through local agents, so you need to talk to a local provider to get a quote.
- Go to Grange Insurance’s website and click Find an Agent.
- Enter your ZIP code and choose from the list of Grange Insurance agencies on the map.
- Contact the agent that you wish to use and start your quote over the phone or in person.
- Explain the coverage and features that you’re looking for and review your quote.
- If you like your quote, give your payment details and get a confirmation email or letter for your policy.
What info do I need to apply?
The information you’ll need to apply for car insurance may vary based on the local provider you choose. Generally speaking, have the following information on hand:
- Your basic personal information, such as your name and address.
- Your car’s VIN or the make, model and package of the car you’d like to insure.
- Information for any drivers you’d like to add to your policy.
What car insurance discounts can I get with Grange?
You can snag a few discounts to save on your policy, including a telematics discount that stays on par with national brands that offer it. Discounts with Grange Insurance vary based on your state, so be sure to discuss your options with your local agent.
- Insurance bundle. Grange also offers boat, RV, motorcycle, home, business and life insurance policies. Bundle these with your car insurance to get a better rate.
- Good student discount. If you have a teen on your policy and they excel in the classroom, your monthly premium could drop.
- Distant student discount. If your teen driver is away at college, you can make them an occasional or pleasure driver on your policy and save.
- Safe driver discount. If you and the other drivers on your insurance policy have clean driving records, you could get a deal on your monthly premium.
- Telematics. Track your driving for 90 days through the OnTrack app and get a discount up to 25% for driving safely.
- Paid-in-full discount. You might be able to snag a discount if you pay your insurance premium for the year in one lump sum instead of spreading it over 12 months.
What add-ons and perks does Grange offer?
- Full glass repair and towing and labor. Covers the cost of broken or cracked glass. Also pays for towing and labor costs if something happens and you need assistance, like locking yourself out of your car.
- Pet injury coverage. Get coverage for medical bills if your pet is injured in an accident.
- Identity theft. If your car is stolen or broken into, you could be at risk for identity theft. This will cover you in case your personal information is compromised as the result of a covered accident.
- Original equipment coverage. This coverage ensures that parts from your car’s original manufacturer are used when it is repaired.
- Loan or lease gap coverage. If you’re making payments on your car and total it in an accident, this protection will cover the difference in cost between what the car is worth and what you still owed on it.
- Mobile device coverage. Pays to replace your cell phone if it’s damaged in a covered accident.
- Personal umbrella. Covers the jury award or settlement if you’re sued for property damage or personal injuries that were legally caused by you in an accident.
Grange car insurance reviews and complaints
Grange Insurance has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1970 and earns an A+ rating based on its customer interactions, as of April 2021. Customers on the BBB site give an overall 4.32 out of 5 stars, a high rating for any insurance company.
In addition, Grange ranks No. 8 out of 21 insurers in the North Central US, according to J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study. This ranking tops competitors like State Farm and Progressive in this region.
Grange Insurance Company also received a 0.82 rating on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. The industry standard is 1.00, and anything lower shows that the company receives fewer complaints than normal for its size.
Overall, customers are happy with Grange’s friendly and helpful local agents, as well as its competitive auto and home insurance rates. Many loyal customers have kept Grange Insurance for decades. However, some customers complain that their agent wasn’t responsive during the claims process. Keep in mind that customers often leave complaints after a negative experience, while happy customers may not tell their story.
Our star ratings for Grange, explained
Our car insurance experts rate Grange above average because of its wide coverage that includes gap insurance and original parts coverage. It also boasts customer satisfaction with high praise from customers and few complaints filed against it. Grange does lack some common discounts that give customers a chance to save.
Compare Grange car insurance to competitors
Consider the policy features and benefits of Grange’s competitors and select Get quotes to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage does Grange offer?
Grange Insurance offers a variety of standard and optional auto insurance coverage. Its wide options aren’t typical for a local insurance company.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers medical and funeral expenses for an accident you’re found legally responsible for. Most states require this coverage.
- Property damage liability. Most state require coverage to property damages for an accident you’re found legally responsible for.
- Collision. If your car is damaged in an accident, collision coverage will pay for the cost of repairs. If you have a car loan, your bank will probably require this coverage.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for anything other than collision damage, such as theft, fire or vandalism. Some banks may require comprehensive coverage if you’re making car loan payments.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. If you’re hurt or your car is damaged in an accident caused by someone else with insufficient or no insurance, your covered.
- Rental car reimbursement. Reimburse you for the cost of your rental car while yours is being fixed after a covered accident.
- Roadside assistance. Covers the costs of a tow if your battery dies, or if you run out of gas.
Pros and cons of Grange car insurance
- Highly rated customer service. Grange uses local agents to help you understand your policy, and customers give Grange Insurance high marks for its friendly agents and competitive rates.
- Wide coverage for a local company. You won’t miss out on coverage extras like roadside assistance and original car parts by choosing this local provider.
- Established company. Grange has offered insurance for nearly 90 years with a strong A- financial strength rating from AM Best, showing that the company can back up your claims.
- Limited states served. Grange Insurance is only available to drivers in 13 states.
- Delayed claims. Some customers complain that their claims process took longer than they expected, leaving them without the payment for their claim.
How to make a car insurance claim with Grange
If you need to file a car insurance claim with Grange Insurance, you can do so 24/7 by either logging into your Grange account on its website or calling 800-445-3030. For auto glass claims, log into your account or call 800-951-9734.
Whether you file your claim online or by phone, be ready to provide this information:
- Your policy number.
- The date, time and location of the accident or incident.
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of registered owners, injured people, occupants of other cars and witnesses.
- Description and license numbers of the other cars involved.
- Photos taken after the accident or incident.
- Police report number, if applicable.
How to contact Grange Insurance
Get in touch with Grange Insurance customer service:
- By phone. Call 800-422-0550 for general information.
- By email. Go to the Grange Insurance website and click Contact Us at the bottom of the page. Choose the Email option on the left side of the screen, and fill out the secure online contact form to send an email.
- By mail.
PO Box 1218
Columbus, OH 43216-1218
Frequently asked questions about Grange car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.