Gainsco car insurance review
Meet state requirements with a no-frills liability policy.
- Get a quote if you’re looking for minimal coverage, such as a liability-only policy.
- Pick something else if you prefer a company with fewer customer complaints.
- Many drivers welcome, including those needing SR-22s.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, Florida, Georgia, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
|New car protection||No|
- Independent agents
- Customer service offered in Spanish
- 24/7 online claims
- No online coverage info
- Many customer complaints
- Specializes in minimal policies
- Limited states served
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
What car insurance coverage does Gainsco offer?
Gainsco specializes in policies with minimum limits so you can abide by state laws and save money upfront. It also offers several standard add-ons.
- Property damage liability. Get coverage for vehicle and property damage expenses resulting from your at-fault accident.
- Bodily injury liability. Ensure that you can pay medical bills for the other driver and passengers involved.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. In states where this coverage is required, this coverage pays for liability when the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance.
- Personal injury protection (PIP). Cover your own medical bills and income loss related to accident injuries.
- Collision. Repair or replace your car when it receives physical damage.
- Comprehensive. Take care of noncollision car damage, such as theft, fire or storms.
- Towing. Pay for towing expenses when your car breaks down or gets damaged in an accident.
What discounts can I get with Gainsco?
The company offers a few discounts to help you find more savings. Those include:
- Safety features. Get a discount if your car is equipped with safety features, such as an antitheft device.
- Proof of prior coverage. Show Gainsco proof of your previous insurance policy for easy savings.
- Multicar. Cover more than one vehicle with the same company.
- Customer loyalty. Stick with Gainsco for multiple policy terms and get loyalty rewards.
- Automatic payments. Set up automatic payments for convenience and a discount.
Pros and cons of Gainsco car insurance
- Independent agents. The company works with independent agents for a personal touch.
- Customer service offered in Spanish. Gainsco has bilingual customer and claims service for your convenience.
- 24/7 online claims. You can report claims through your customer account any time.
- No online coverage info. Gainsco doesn’t list its offerings online, which may reflect its focus on local agent service.
- Many customer complaints. The company has an NAIC complaint ratio that’s more than double the national average. Delayed claims were the biggest complaint, in addition to dissatisfaction with how claims were handled.
- Specializes in minimal policies. While low coverage equals a low premium, you may have to pay more out of pocket if an accident happens.
- Limited states served. Gainsco covers nine states, including Arizona, Florida, Georgia, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia.
Alternatives to Gainsco car insurance
How to apply for Gainsco car insurance
To start your policy, you can either talk to a local agent or get a quote online. To find an agent near you, call 866-424-6726.
To start an online quote:
- Go to the website and click Get a Quick Quote Now.
- Fill in your personal information and language. Click Okay, start my quote.
- Enter driver details, policy start date and previous insurance information if applicable. Click Next.
- Choose coverage to fit your needs, enter payment information and finalize details.
What info do I need to apply?
To move the application process along quickly, keep some information on standby:
- Home address and phone number
- Previous provider name, policy length and end date
- Previous liability coverage
- New policy start date
- Driver information
- Driver’s license number
- Coverage needs
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Payment details
How to make a claim with Gainsco
To file a claim, send information about the accident either online or by phone.
- Online. Log in to your customer account to report details 24/7.
- Phone. Call a claims representative at 866-424-6726 Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT.
Gainsco specializes in policies that meet state requirements in 11 states, such as liability-only coverage. It offers some standard add-ons and discounts and provides bilingual customer service, but has several customer complaints.
Compare multiple car insurance options to find the best provider for you.