Gainsco car insurance review
This SR-22 specialist offers only basic coverage in a handful of states.
finder.com's rating: 2.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re looking for minimal coverage or don’t qualify elsewhere.
- Pick something else if you want higher-rated customer service.
- Gainsco specializes in insuring drivers considered high risk.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
- Independent agents
- Customer service offered in Spanish
- 24/7 online and mobile claims
- SR-22 and nonowner coverage
- Little coverage info on its website
- Many customer complaints
- Limited states served
- No bundling options
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Automatic payments|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Gainsco works best if you’re looking for a barebones policy like liability-only coverage and can’t get a policy with traditional companies. The company specializes in car insurance that meets state requirements in 15 states, and it helps with filing an SR-22 form to prove to your state that you have the insurance required.
Yet Gainsco has a high number of negative reviews and complaints, with customers complaining about slow or poorly handled claims. You can also find wider coverage and more discounts with competitors, and specialized companies like Gainsco aren’t known for providing the cheapest rates.
How to get a free quote for Gainsco car insurance
To start your policy, you can either talk to a local agent or get a quote online. To find an agent near you, call 866-424-6726.
Or follow these steps to start an online quote:
- Go to the website and click Get a Quick Quote Now.
- Fill in your personal information and language. Click Okay, start my quote.
- Enter driver details, policy start date and previous insurance information. Click Next after answering each section of questions.
- Choose optional coverage and update liability limits to fit your needs.
- Check out your final quote and confirm the details are correct.
- Enter your payment information and finalize your policy details.
What info do I need to apply?
To move the application process along quickly, keep this personal and vehicle information on standby.
- Home address and phone number
- Previous provider name, policy length and end date
- Previous liability coverage
- New policy start date
- Driver information
- Driver’s license number
- Coverage needs
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Payment details
What discounts can I get with Gainsco?
The company offers a few discounts to help you save, though it could offer more opportunities to save like a discount for taking a defensive driving refresher. What you could qualify for:
- Safety features. Get a discount if your car is equipped with safety features, such as an antitheft device.
- Proof of prior coverage. Show Gainsco proof of your previous insurance policy for easy savings.
- Multicar. Cover more than one vehicle with the same company.
- Customer loyalty. Stick with Gainsco for multiple policy terms and get loyalty rewards.
- Automatic payments. Set up automatic payments for convenience and a discount.
What add-ons and benefits does Gainsco offer?
Despite a limited selection of coverage, you can still choose common add-ons for towing or a rental car after an accident. Its add-ons include:
- Collision. Repair or replace your car when it receives physical damage.
- Comprehensive. Take care of noncollision car damage, such as theft, fire or storms.
- Rental reimbursement. Cover the cost of a rental car if yours needs accident damage repaired, leaving you with no way to get around.
- SR-22 support. Gainsco helps you file proof of car insurance if your state requires it after an accident or another violation.
- Towing. Pay for towing expenses when your car breaks down or gets damaged in an accident.
- Nonowner coverage. Get the required coverage you need for a car that you drive but don’t own.
Gainsco car insurance reviews and complaints
Gainsco is rated an A- by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for its business practices as of 2021. The company has closed over 100 complaints in the last three years, and customers have rated it with 1 out of 5 stars overall on the BBB site. Most complaints involve the company responding to claims slowly, not getting claims paid as quickly as the customer needed or denying claims that the customer felt should have been approved.
Gainsco works through its subsidiary company, MGA Insurance, to provide car insurance. The bad news is that MGA has received a 2.61 score for personal car insurance on the 2020 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. That’s much higher than the national average of 1.00, suggesting an unreasonable amount of customer complaints for this company.
Our star ratings for Gainsco, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Gainsco about average because of its basic coverage options and common discounts missing from its lineup. However, we like the company’s high BBB ratings. Its high rating suggests that Gainsco takes care of customer complaints, stays transparent in business practices and takes information privacy seriously, among other factors rated by the BBB.
Alternatives to Gainsco car insurance
Consider other car insurance companies and the coverage and benefits they offer. Then, tap Get quotes when you’re ready to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage does Gainsco offer?
Gainsco specializes in policies with minimum limits so that you can meet your state laws and save money. Its coverage includes:
- Property damage liability. Get coverage for vehicle and property damage expenses resulting from an at-fault accident.
- Bodily injury liability. Ensure that you can pay medical bills for the other driver and passengers involved.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. In states where this coverage is required, it pays for liability when the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance.
- Personal injury protection. Cover your own medical bills and income loss related to accident injuries.
Pros and cons of Gainsco car insurance
Gainsco stays clear about its specialized car insurance offerings — it caters to high-risk drivers with minimal coverage. But its customer ratings suggest that it could work on its customer experience.
Expect personal advice to help you get the protection and proof of insurance that you need.
- Independent agents. The company works with independent agents, helping you get your questions answered in a personal way.
- Customer service offered in Spanish. Gainsco has bilingual customer and claims service for your convenience, a nice service touch that’s not offered at every insurance company.
- 24/7 online and app claims. You can report claims through your customer account or on the go at your convenience. On its app, you can also get a quote, make payments or search for your local agent.
- SR-22 support. If you’ve experienced a violation or coverage lapse requiring extra proof of insurance, Gainsco can file this form of proof to the DMV.
These downsides about Gainsco are good to know before buying a policy.
- Little coverage info online. Gainsco doesn’t list its offerings on its website, a disadvantage for those wanting a quick look at its offerings without making calls.
- Many customer complaints. The company has an NAIC complaint ratio that’s more than double the national average. Delayed claims were the biggest complaint, in addition to dissatisfaction with how claims were handled.
- Limited states served. Gainsco covers twelve states, including Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.
- No bundling options. Most insurance companies offer multiple insurance products so that you can keep track of policies in one place. Gainsco specializes in auto insurance only.
Frequently asked questions about Gainsco car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.