Gainsco car insurance review
This SR-22 specialist offers only basic coverage in a handful of states.
finder.com's rating: 2.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you’re looking for minimal coverage, such as a liability-only policy.
- Pick something else if you prefer a company with fewer customer complaints.
- Many drivers welcome, including those needing SR-22s.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
- Independent agents
- Customer service offered in Spanish
- 24/7 online and mobile claims
- SR-22 and nonowner coverage
- Little coverage info on its website
- Many customer complaints
- Limited states served
- No bundling options
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Automatic payments|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Gainsco works best if you’re looking for a barebones policy and can’t get a policy with other traditional insurers. This company specializes in policies that meet state requirements in 11 states, along with help for filing SR-22 forms to prove your insurance coverage to the state.
Yet it has a high number of negative reviews complaining about a slow and poorly handled claims process. Plus, specialized insurers like Gainsco aren’t known for providing the cheapest rates. Go ahead with a quote if you find yourself labeled as a high-risk driver. But you might find similar high-risk coverage or cheaper rates with another car insurance company.
What car insurance coverage does Gainsco offer?
Gainsco specializes in policies with minimum limits so you can abide by state laws and save money. Its coverage includes:
- Property damage liability. Get coverage for vehicle and property damage expenses resulting from an at-fault accident.
- Bodily injury liability. Ensure that you can pay medical bills for the other driver and passengers involved.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist. In states where this coverage is required, it pays for liability when the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance.
- Personal injury protection. Cover your own medical bills and income loss related to accident injuries.
- Collision. Repair or replace your car when it receives physical damage.
- Comprehensive. Take care of noncollision car damage, such as theft, fire or storms.
- Towing. Pay for towing expenses when your car breaks down or gets damaged in an accident.
- Rental reimbursement. Cover the cost of a rental car if yours needs accident damage repaired, leaving you with no way to get around.
- SR-22 and nonowner coverage. Get the required coverage you need for an SR-22 or nonowner policy for a car you drive but don’t own.
What discounts can I get with Gainsco?
The company offers a few discounts to help you find more savings. Those include:
- Safety features. Get a discount if your car is equipped with safety features, such as an antitheft device.
- Proof of prior coverage. Show Gainsco proof of your previous insurance policy for easy savings.
- Multicar. Cover more than one vehicle with the same company.
- Customer loyalty. Stick with Gainsco for multiple policy terms and get loyalty rewards.
- Automatic payments. Set up automatic payments for convenience and a discount.
Pros and cons of Gainsco car insurance
- Independent agents. The company works with independent agents, helping you get your questions answered in a personal way.
- Customer service offered in Spanish. Gainsco has bilingual customer and claims service for your convenience, a nice service touch that’s not offered at every insurance company.
- 24/7 online and mobile claims. You can report claims through your customer account or on the go at your convenience. On its app, you can also get a quote, make payments or search for your local agent.
- SR-22 and nonowner coverage. If you’ve experienced a violation or coverage lapse requiring extra proof of insurance, Gainsco can file this form of proof to the DMV.
- Little coverage info on its website. Gainsco doesn’t list its offerings on its website, a disadvantage for those wanting a quick look at its offerings without making calls.
- Many customer complaints. The company has an NAIC complaint ratio that’s more than double the national average. Delayed claims were the biggest complaint, in addition to dissatisfaction with how claims were handled.
- Limited states served. Gainsco covers twelve states, including Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, New Mexico, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.
- No bundling options. Insurance companies often offer multiple insurance products, so you can keep track of all your policies in one place. However, Gainsco specializes in auto insurance only.
Alternatives to Gainsco car insurance
Gainsco car insurance reviews and complaints
Gainsco is rated an A+ by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for its business practices, as of October 2020. The company has seen nearly 90 complaints in the last three years, and customers have rated it with 1 out of 5 stars overall on the BBB site. Most complaints involve the company responding to claims slowly or denying claims that the customer felt should have been approved.
Gainsco works through its subsidiary company, MGA Insurance, to provide car insurance. The bad news is MGA has received a 2.13 score for personal car insurance on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. That’s much higher than the national average of 1.00, suggesting an unreasonable amount of many customer complaints for this company’s size.
How to apply for Gainsco car insurance
To start your policy, you can either talk to a local agent or get a quote online. To find an agent near you, call 866-424-6726.
To start an online quote:
- Go to the website and click Get a Quick Quote Now.
- Fill in your personal information and language. Click Okay, start my quote.
- Enter driver details, policy start date and previous insurance information. Click Next after answering each section of questions.
- Choose optional coverage and update liability limits to fit your needs.
- Check out your final quote and confirm the details are correct.
- Enter your payment information and finalize your policy details.
What info do I need to apply?
To move the application process along quickly, keep some information on standby:
- Home address and phone number
- Previous provider name, policy length and end date
- Previous liability coverage
- New policy start date
- Driver information
- Driver’s license number
- Coverage needs
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Payment details
Frequently asked questions about Gainsco car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.