Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

Compare commercial car insurance for farmers and the food industry

Protect your farming equipment, cargo and trailers with a customized policy.

If you own a farming or food business, you likely need commercial car insurance. Customize your policy with add-ons designed to protect your trailers, cargo and equipment. Or look for packages tailored to your specific business needs.

How much is car insurance for the food industry?

Car insurance for food-related businesses ultimately depends on how you’re using your vehicle or fleet. For example, a truck requires more coverage if you’re storing, transporting and cooking food from the vehicle.

Other factors that may affect the car insurance premium for your food business include:

  • Vehicle use. Simple business travel often requires less coverage than transporting food to a wholesale customer.
  • Location. Your rate may increase if you live in an area of high risk. For example, accidents happen more often in large cities than in rural areas.
  • Equipment. If you’re carrying farming machinery, a refrigerated compartment or other heavy equipment, expect a higher premium.
  • Vehicle weight. The heavier your vehicle, the more likely you are to have a higher premium. You may also require additional coverage for more axles.
  • Driving history. Keep your record as clean as possible to keep costs low.
  • Coverage. Lower the overall cost of a policy by selecting only the coverage you need. Raising the deductible can also save you money.

Compare car insurance for food industry businesses

Name Product AM Best financial rating Available states
Progressive commercial car insurance
All 50 states
Cover nearly any business vehicle from box trucks to limos with big savings from discounts, safety programs and a single deductible.
Not rated
All 50 states except Alaska & Hawaii
Compare multiple quotes for business auto insurance to find the cheapest rates from this online commercial insurance broker.
The Hartford commercial car insurance
All 50 states
The Hartford’s customized auto insurance policies protect your business fleet with well-rounded coverage and a safe driving program.
Allstate commercial car insurance
All 50 states
Customized, industry-specific polices like leased car coverage plus quick claims filing.
Liberty Mutual commercial car insurance
All 50 states
Take advantage of telematics to monitor and improve employees' driving and save on insurance premiums.

Compare up to 4 providers

When do farmers or those in the food industry need commercial car insurance?

If your industry requires specialized vehicles to transport food, a commercial policy can fully protect you against loss. And special equipment for those needs may warrant extra coverage. Situations that may call for commercial car insurance include:

  • Operating a food truck
  • Delivering wholesale goods
  • Carrying specialized equipment
  • Transporting livestock
  • Using a vehicle for catering

What car insurance coverage do I need to drive in the food industry?

It depends on your state, but you’re likely required to purchase liability coverage to protect other drivers involved in an accident. Other coverage that’s standard for those in the food business include:

  • Liability. Covers bodily injury and property damage to other drivers when your company is at fault.
  • Collision. Protect your business from damage to company’s vehicles after an accident.
  • Comprehensive. Keep damage from theft, natural disasters and other incidents that don’t involve a collision from slowing business down.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorists. Rest easy knowing your business is covered even when hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
  • Medical payments or personal injury. Pays for necessary medical expenses for you or your employees.
  • Trailer coverage. Protects your trailers when transporting food or equipment. Some states require separate liability insurance for your trailer.
  • Agricultural carrier insurance. If you’re carrying livestock, grain or refrigerated goods, you might consider special coverage for unique agricultural risks like hygiene or spoiled cargo.

What additional coverage should I consider?

You’ll find many coverage options that aren’t required but could benefit your business:

  • New vehicle replacement. Ensure that you have a business vehicle, even if your old one is totaled in an accident.
  • Cargo coverage. Protect the food or equipment on board when traveling to a customer or worksite.
  • Roadside assistance. Get roadside repairs and towing coverage to take care of minor breakdowns while on the road.
  • Gap insurance. Get help paying off a loan or lease above your vehicle’s value if it’s totaled in an accident.
  • Rental reimbursement. Cover the cost of a rental when your car is in the shop so you can more quickly get back to work.
  • Income loss coverage. Protect yourself from lost business income when your equipment is out of commission.
  • Farm or food truck packages. Many insurance companies offer business insurance packages tailored for food businesses. These often include commercial car insurance.

Bottom line

As a business owner in the food industry, your vehicles and equipment are a vital part of everyday operations. Many insurers offer packages and discounts tailored for farmers and food businesses.

To fully protect your business, cargo and employees, compare commercial insurers for the best rate you’re eligible for.

Frequently asked questions about food business insurance

Image from: Unsplash

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site