Figure Pay prepaid debit card review
Avoid fees and earn cash back, but it isn’t available in all states.
The Figure Pay deposit account and prepaid debit card let you earn cash back rewards, and you’ll never pay a fee unless you use out-of-network ATMs. It also includes access to credit loans, commonly known as buy now, pay later loans. But you can’t deposit cash or checks, and it doesn’t work with digital wallets. Plus, it’s only available to residents in 17 states.
Monthly maintenance fee
Signature transaction fee
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
Expert reviewFigure Pay is best for people who want a prepaid card without worrying about a monthly fee. You can also take advantage of buy now, pay later loans if approved and earn cash back at participating retailers.
But it’s only available in 17 states, and it lacks critical features that prevent it from replacing a checking account. For example, you can’t deposit checks into the account and it doesn’t work with digital wallets. Plus, although you can earn cash back, we spoke to two Figure Pay customer representatives who were unable to give us any details. It’s unclear who the participating retailers are, how much cash back you can make and if there are any limitations.
If you’re after an account that earns cash back, consider a rewards checking account or a cash management account like SoFi Money, which earns up to 15% in cash back and earns 0.25% APY when you deposit at least $500 each month.
How do I get the Figure Pay card?
To get the Figure Pay card, you must live in one of the 17 states it serves. Sign up in six steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Select Personal, then Figure Pay. If Figure Pay isn’t available in your state yet, enter your email address to join the waitlist.
- Select the Apple App Store or Google Play Store link and download the app.
- Launch the app and follow the instructions to create your account and link a funding source.
- Once your account is active, tap Figure Pay Visa Prepaid Card.
- Select Order now and confirm your mailing address.
To open a Figure Pay account, you must meet the following eligibility criteria.
Provide the following information when applying for a Figure Pay debit card.
- Full name
- Street address
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Email address
- Driver’s license or other government-issued ID
What you’ll like about Figure PayFigure Pay has some standout features that set it apart from typical prepaid cards.
- No fees. The only fee associated with this account is a $2.50 fee for using out-of-network ATMs. But you can avoid this fee by using in-network Allpoint ATMs.
- Cash rewards. Figure Pay participates in the Dosh rewards program, letting you earn cash back for purchases from select retailers. But we spoke to two customer representatives who were unable to tell us which retailers, up to how much cash back and if there are any rewards limits.
- Peer-to-peer payments. Instantly send money to friends and family who also have Figure Pay accounts.
- Access buy now, pay later loans. If you’re approved for credit loans, you can finance any $10 to $2,500 in-store purchase by turning on Loan Mode in the app. You’ll have four months to pay off the one-time installment loans, and on-time payments will reflect positively on your credit report.
What to watch out for
There are also some potentially deal-breaking drawbacks associated with this account.
- Not available in all states. Figure Pay is still rolling out, and accounts are currently available in 17 states.
- Doesn’t support digital wallets. Figure Pay cards don’t work with digital wallets, such as Apple Pay and Google Pay, but the company plans on supporting this feature in the future.
- No wire transfers. You can’t send or receive wire transfers via this account. You can send bank-to-bank ACH transfers for free, but those transactions may take two business days to clear, whereas wire transfers are often instant.
- No subaccounts. Some other prepaid debit cards, such as the Bluebird card, let you set aside funds for short- and long-term savings goals, but Figure Pay doesn’t offer that feature.
Is the Figure Pay card safe?
Yes, Figure Pay cards are legit. The deposit account is held at UMB Bank, and MetaBank issues your Figure Pay Visa Prepaid Card. Both UMB Bank and Metabank are members of the FDIC, so your account is insured for up to $250,000.
Figure Pay reviews and complaints
Figure is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which gives it an F rating based on its handling of two complaints during the past three years. Figure also has 26 reviews on the BBB’s website, with an average rating of 2 out of 5 stars.
In contrast, Figure has nearly 1,500 on Trustpilot, where it earns an average rating of 4.7 out of 5. But all the reviews are about Figure’s lending division and not about its Figure Pay card and account.
Compare Figure Pay card with other prepaid debit cards
Use this table to see how other prepaid debit cards compare based on fees and ATM networks.
How long will it take to get my card?
It will take approximately seven to 10 business days for your card to arrive after you request one in the app.
I got the card. Now what?
Once your Figure Pay card arrives, you can use it in the following five ways.
- Make purchases. Purchase items anywhere Visa is accepted.
- Earn rewards. Check the app for qualifying retailers where you can earn cash back.
- ATM withdrawals. Withdraw cash for free from any Allpoint ATM.
- Transfer funds. Instantly send funds to other Figure Pay cardholders.
- Buy now, pay later. Activate Loan Mode in the app and finance in-store purchases up to $2,500 if approved.
3 funding optionsFigure Pay accounts don’t support wire transfers, cash deposits or mobile check deposits. But you can move money into this account in the following ways:
- ACH transfers
- Direct deposit
- Peer-to-peer payments
How can I contact Figure?
If you need help with your Figure Pay account, you can contact the company in the following ways.
- Chat with someone via Figure’s website.
- Call 800-260-1795 on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT.
- Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send mail to Figure Payments Corporation dba Figure Pay, 100 West Liberty Street, Suite 600, Reno, NV 89501.