Farm Bureau car insurance review
Members find low rates and pleasant service while supporting local farmers.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote for discounted rates on a standard policy.
- Pick something else if you need more options.
- Only Farm Bureau members can apply.
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota, Utah|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months|
- High customer satisfaction.
- Discounted rates.
- Local agents.
- Young driver program.
- Basic coverage.
- Must have a Farm Bureau membership.
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||If you drive your vehicle 7,500 miles or less annually, you may qualify for this unique discount.|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
The main draws for Farm Bureau car insurance are its outstanding customer service that roots itself in each chapter’s local area. You’ll also get access to member perks like low auto rates and discounts on travel purchases. While Farm Bureau works well for those maxing out membership perks, look elsewhere if you can’t settle for basic coverage.
What car insurance coverage does Farm Bureau offer?
Farm Bureau Mutual starts you off with the necessities for your auto policy. Those include:
- Property damage liability. Take care of the other driver’s vehicle damage if you cause an accident.
- Bodily injury liability. Give other involved drivers and passengers peace of mind about medical bills after an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. Because others on the road may choose little to no liability coverage, you can stay covered anyway.
- Medical payments. Know your medical bills are covered as an option or to fulfill state requirements.
- Collision. Get your vehicle repaired or replaced if it’s damaged during an accident.
- Comprehensive. Cover your car for noncollision damage, such as theft, fire, hail or vandalism.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Farm Bureau offer?
Although few, the company does provide some add-ons for your convenience. Your agent may offer you additional options.
- Replacement cost. Opt for coverage to get your new car replaced without factoring in depreciation. This coverage applies to vehicles less than four years old.
- Roadside assistance. Find the help when you need it for minor roadside repairs, such as flat tire repairs or towing costs.
- Membership perks. As a Farm Bureau member, not only can you get discounted financial services, but you’ll also receive discounts on travel, vehicle purchases, retail and entertainment.
What discounts can I get with Farm Bureau?
Farm Bureau already offers members discounted rates, but it also includes many other ways to save:
- Claims-free. Have no claims for a certain time period and get rewarded. This discount varies by state.
- Safe driver tracking. Allow Farm Bureau to install a small device on your vehicle that tracks your driving habits and mileage, which could save you up to 30%.
- Safe driver. Along with a possible lowered rate for using Farm Bureau’s driver tracking, you’ll also get a discount just for signing up for the program.
- Young driver program. Drivers younger than 25 can save when they complete the company’s approved driver safety training.
- Good student. Got a young driver in school? Get a discount if they receive a B average.
- Low mileage. Your low mileage driving means fewer chances of an accident, which could lead to savings on your premium.
- Auto and home bundle. Insure both your car and home on your Farm Bureau policy for a discount.
- Multiple cars. Likewise, cover all your cars under one insurance roof for additional savings.
- Customer loyalty. Get credit for continuing service with Farm Bureau.
Pros and cons of Farm Bureau car insurance
- High customer satisfaction. On review sites, Farm Bureau customers enjoy the company’s helpful customer service and low rates.
- Discounted rates. Members often report this company’s competitive rates compared to other insurers.
- Local agents. Expect personal customer service when you work face to face with an agent.
- Young driver program. The company gives drivers younger than 25 a discount incentive for completing its safe driving program.
- Basic coverage. Getting insurance through the Farm Bureau works best if you don’t need lots of options.
- Must have a Farm Bureau membership. You’ll need to take this extra step to get auto coverage, but joining the club is easy.
Alternatives to Farm Bureau
Which states does Farm Bureau offer coverage?
This regional Farm Bureau company serves 8 states: Arizona, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, South Dakota and Utah.
However, many states have their own independent farm bureaus that also include insurance offers.
How to apply for Farm Bureau car insurance
To get started with Farm Bureau car insurance, you’ll need to go through a local agent:
- Go to the agent search page of the company’s website.
- Enter your ZIP code and click Go.
- Contact your preferred agent by phone, email or in person with the listed information.
- Let the agent help you decide coverage needs.
- Give personal and vehicle details to receive a quote and start your policy.
What info do I need to apply?
Help the application process go buttery smooth with several key pieces of information:
- Home address and phone number
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle make, model and license plate or VIN
- Driving record
- Coverage needs and add-ons
- Banking information
How to become a Farm Bureau member
To join, you’ll need to look for your state’s branch from the main Farm Bureau website. Then, fill out a membership form, agree to any terms and include your payment. Then, you should receive confirmation that you’re a member.
Did you know?
You don’t have to own a farm to join the Farm Bureau. You can apply for membership even if you just love supporting the farming community.
How to make a claim with Farm Bureau
File accident information easily through Farm Bureau’s online claims, local agents or phone claims service.
- Online. Enter details through your online customer account for quick, convenient reporting.
- Phone. Reach the 24-Hour Claims Center by calling 800-226-6383.
- Local agent. Get customer service from your friendly local agent by phone or in person.
Farm Bureau car insurance frequently asked questions
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.