Does car insurance cover parking in garages?

In this case, liability coverage may not be enough.

Last updated:

We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.

Parking your car in a garage, whether at your home or in a paid garage, is often considered safe. But accidents can happen to damage or destroy your car. You may need to add collision and comprehensive coverage to your policy to protect your car while it’s parked.

Is damage done in a parking garage covered by car insurance?

It depends on the type of damage done and who caused it. To fully insure your parked car, you’ll need comprehensive and collision coverage. Most states require at least liability insurance to pay for damage you do to someone else’s property.

However, that doesn’t cover your car in the garage in many cases, especially if your car is damaged by someone without you being there to witness it. If you’re involved in a hit-and-run accident, uninsured motorist property damage coverage (UMPD) could help. This is particularly useful in hit-and-run cases where you don’t know who caused the damage or if you know but they are uninsured.

What kind of parking garage damage is covered by car insurance?

Comprehensive coverage protects your vehicle against:
  • Natural disaster, storms and fire
  • Vandalism and theft
  • Broken windows
  • Damage caused by falling objects, like trees

Collision coverage protects you from:

  • Hitting another car
  • Bumping a parked car
  • Hit and run
  • Dinging a pole or wall

Car storage insurance options

If you have more than one car or if you have a car that will be parked for at least 30 days, you can suspend liability and collision coverage to lower your premiums but keep comprehensive coverage for just in case. Lay-up coverage is ideal to cover possible damage to your car in a garage.

Compare car insurance with comprehensive and collision coverage

Name Product Roadside assistance New car protection Accident forgiveness Safe driver discount Available states
All 50 states
Save up to 31% with safe driver discounts and bundling all your rides in one convenient policy.
Only pay for how much you drive with the Metromile app. Get rates from $29/month plus pennies per mile.
All 50 states
Get free quotes from top insurers for the exact coverage you need in minutes.
All 50 states
It's quick and easy to get an online quote with Geico, and you might be surprised at how much you could save.
All states except AK, HI, LA, MI, RI
Drivers over 50 and AARP members enjoy special car insurance pricing and benefits.
All 50 states
Enjoy premium perks like better car replacement and accident forgiveness plus local agent support.
All 50 states
Enjoy having your own dedicated agent to help you get the best discounts and coverage.
All states except AK, DE, HI, MT, NH, VT, WY
Esurance offers a modern online and mobile experience that helps you take your insurance on the go. Available in 42 states.

Compare up to 4 providers

What should I do if my car is damaged in a garage?

If the damage to your car is minimal, get quotes from body shops to see how much the repairs will cost. If the repairs cost more than your deductible, filing a claim with your insurer may be the best option.

  1. Document the accident. Gather information about the accident and the damage. Include the time, location, and collect information from the other driver if the accident involves another car. Take photos of the damage and debris nearby and note weather conditions if it caused the accident.
  2. Call the police. If the damage was caused by hit-and-run, you need an official police report to file a claim with your insurance company. Ask the officer for a copy of the report and get their name and badge number. You may also ask witnesses if they saw anyone damaging your car.
  3. Call the medics. If you suffered an injury during the accident, get medical treatment and include it in your claim. The at-fault driver will pay for your medical bills.
  4. Contact the insurer. Call your insurer as soon as possible. They will guide you through filing a claim.

How do I file a claim for damages in a parking garage?

Once you’re ready to file a claim, your insurance company assigns you a claims adjuster who investigates the accident. Give them all the details about the accident including where the accident happened, photos and contact information for the other driver, if there is one.

The adjuster helps you repair your car, sometimes suggesting a body shop that your insurance works with. Depending on your insurance company and the claim, you can usually choose which body shop you want to use.

How much will it cost to repair parking garage damage out of pocket?

Depending on your car and the extent of the damage, it can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars up to the actual value of your car. Most cars won’t be totaled after an accident in a garage unless the entire structure of the garage is damaged, such as in an earthquake or a fire.

Bottom line

Damage to your garaged car isn’t covered by your mandatory liability coverage. You’ll need collision and comprehensive coverage to insure against all-case scenarios.

If you haven’t found a coverage yet, check out car insurance providers and compare your options.

Get the cheapest quotes

Compare car insurance companies near you.

Your information is secure.

Common questions about car accidents in garages

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
Go to site