Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Dirt bike insurance
Ride fearlessly into adventure knowing you’re protected.
Veering off the beaten track into the great outdoors comes with its own set of risks, from crashes in dangerous terrain to good old-fashioned theft in less-populated areas. With dirt bike insurance, you can twist the throttle without worrying about the consequences and enjoy your time away from civilization.
Get insurance for your dirt bike
Do I need insurance for my dirt bike?
Most states will require you to have liability insurance that will pay if you accidentally hurt someone on your bike. While comprehensive policies are generally not required, they’re a good idea if you have a pricier bike you want to protect.
Dirt bikes can often be covered under standard motorcycle insurance policies, although some providers offer special coverage for off-road bikes. Like a normal motorcycle, you can get comprehensive, liability or collision insurance.
What kind of coverage do I need for my dirt bike?
You can pick and choose the coverage you want or get a policy that covers everything.
- Liability insurance. Legally required in most states, this covers the bills if you accidentally hurt someone or damage their property. But it won’t cover you if you’re hurt or pay for the cost of repairing your bike.
- Collision coverage. This will pay to repair your bike after a collision with another vehicle, but it won’t cover damage from things like natural disasters or errant shopping carts.
- Comprehensive coverage. This option insures you against accidents that don’t involve another car, such as theft, vandalism or natural disasters.
- Full coverage. An insurance policy that includes comprehensive, collision and liability coverage.
What does dirt bike insurance cover?
|Hurting someone or damaging their property|
|Damage from an accident with another vehicle|
|Damage from an accident with an animal|
|Damage to riding gear|
|Weather damage (hail, storm, flood)|
|Emergency travel and accommodation|
How can I get cheap dirt bike insurance?
- Figure out what kind of policy you need. If you aren’t going to be using your bike for anything too dangerous, you might be better off getting liability or collision insurance instead of a comprehensive policy.
- Buy the right bike. The smaller the engine, the less expensive coverage will be. In addition, the less exotic of a model your bike is, the cheaper coverage will be since they’re easier to replace.
- Store your bike safely. If you can prove that your dirt bike will be stored in a secure garage or shed, insurers will offer you a better deal since theft won’t as much of an issue.
- Drive sensibly. The fewer accidents you have on your driving record, the less you’ll be charged for insurance.
- Check your policy every year. As your bike ages or your circumstances change, the premium you’re paying may be too high. Reevaluate your policy every year, at renewal or after a life event like turning 25 or moving to a new address.
- Look for discounts. Knock up to 50% off the price of your premiums by getting an online quotes, staying loyal, not making claims and paying up front.
If you’re looking for the cheapest option to get out on the road, liability insurance can help you save some cash — but if you want to protect your bike, a comprehensive policy could be worth it. In either case, you can save money by comparing your options and bundling your dirt bike insurance with any other vehicles you own.
Common questions about dirt bike insurance
Ask an Expert