Dairyland car insurance review
Auto insurance with flexible payment and coverage options for high-risk drivers
- Get a quote if you want help from a local agent and flexible payment options.
- Pick something else if you have a perfect driving record.
- Get same-day SR-22 filing for high-risk drivers.
New car protection
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|New car protection||No|
- Mobile app
- One-on-one support
- Same-day SR-22 filings
- Flexible payment options
- More expensive
- No online claims
- Lack of transparency
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Transfer Discount, Payment Frequency Discount|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Where can I get Dairyland car insurance?
Dairyland is available in 42 states. This insurer doesn’t write policies in the following states:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
What car insurance coverage does Dairyland offer?
With policies available in 37 states, Dairyland car insurance is a great choice for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding coverage elsewhere. Dairyland has a number of auto insurance policies available, from state minimums to comprehensive coverage.
- Liability coverage. Covers costs related to bodily injury and property damage to another person if you’re at fault in an accident.
- Personal injury protection. Pays for medical expenses due to injuries to the driver and passengers in your vehicle, regardless of who is at fault in the accident. In some states, this can also cover lost wages and funeral costs.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Protects against bodily injury and sometimes property damage if you’re in an accident with a driver who’s at fault and doesn’t have enough coverage to pay for damages.
- Medical payment expenses. Pays for medical and funeral expenses if the driver and any passengers in your vehicle are harmed in an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Collision coverage. Covers damage to your vehicle due to a collision, regardless of who was at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage. Helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s damaged by something other than a collision, including theft, fire, vandalism or hitting an animal.
What coverage add-ons and programs does Dairyland offer?
- SR-22. Dairyland can help you file an SR-22 certificate with your state if you’ve been ordered to prove you meet your state’s minimum coverage requirements.
- Gap insurance. This is often required by your lender when you purchase or lease a car. It protects the driver and lender when the vehicle is involved in an accident prior to being fully paid off.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for the use of a rental vehicle while your car is in the shop or unavailable after an accident.
- Towing and labor. Covers the cost of towing and labor to get your vehicle to a service center.
- Special equipment. This extra coverage option can pay for damages to special equipment or other modifications to your vehicle.
- Non-owner insurance. This type of insurance provides liability coverage if you were to rent or borrow someone’s vehicle.
- Pay-as-you-go insurance. This coverage is based on how much you drive, as you’ll pay a low base rate, then additional fees per mile.
What discounts can I get with Dairyland?
Dairyland offers a number of discounts to reduce the cost of your auto insurance policy.
- Multicar discount. Unlock a cheaper rate for insuring multiple vehicles under the same policy.
- Advanced quote discount. Receive a discount if you get a quote at least a week before your desired insurance policy start date.
- Transfer discount. Score a lower premium if you have coverage from another provider at least six months before getting coverage through Dairyland.
- Payment frequency discount. Get better rates if you pay your premiums quarterly, biannually or in a lump sum as opposed to monthly.
- Homeowners discount. You may be able to get a discount if you own a house, townhouse, mobile home or condo. Some states even offer discounts to renters.
- Defensive driving discount. You could shave a few bucks off your premium if you prove you’ve completed a driver safety course.
- Antitheft discount. Vehicles that are equipped with antitheft technology may be eligible for lower rates.
Pros and cons of Dairyland car insurance
- Mobile app. Allows customers to manage policies, view ID cards, make payments and more through its mobile app.
- One-on-one support. Offers support through local agents, ideal for those who prefer a more personal approach to insurance.
- Same-day SR-22 filings. High-risk drivers can get coverage immediately, with the SR-22 certificate sent to the state the same day.
- Flexible payment options. Local agents accept cash, credit card, debit card or EFT payments — or a mix of cash and cards, if that’s easier.
- High risk pool has higher rates. Since Dairyland focuses on coverage for high-risk drivers, its rates are often higher. Drivers with clean driving records and high credit scores may be able to find cheaper coverage elsewhere.
- Poor online experience. Unfortunately, Dairyland doesn’t allow customers to file claims online. Instead, you’ll need to call in and speak to an agent. And its website is a bit unclear when it comes to coverage costs and policy details.
Compare Dairyland to other providers
What do customers say about Dairyland?
While the Better Business Bureau (BBB) doesn’t have much information on Dairyland, its parent company, Sentry Insurance, has its own page on the BBB site. Although it’s not officially accredited with the bureau, it holds an A+ rating and earns 3.68 out of 5 stars as of August 2018.
Despite its solid ratings, this company has a number of negative reviews on the BBB site and other online forums. Most of these unhappy customers had problems with communication, denied claims and billing issues, which is pretty typical for insurance companies.
Your experience may differ from the reviews you read online. Most customers won’t leave a review unless their experience was overly negative, which is why there are often so many more complaints than positive reviews.
How to apply for Dairyland car insurance
Purchasing coverage from Dairyland is easy and can be done online, by phone or in person.
- Go to the Dairyland site, enter your ZIP code and click Get a Quote.
- Enter personal information like your name, address and birth date. Click Continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, including its year, make and model, then click Continue.
- Add other driver details, and click Continue.
- Review coverage and policy details, then click Continue if you’re satisfied.
- Add more details including your VIN and driver’s license number, then click Continue.
- Review all records and coverage, then continue to payment when you’re ready.
- Add your payment info, then proceed to e-sign.
Call 888-344-4357 to speak with an agent. They can walk you through the process of getting a quote and purchasing coverage.
Visit the Dairyland site and click Find an Agent below the quote tool. Enter your ZIP code and click Find an Agent. Choose from the list of local agents near you and pay them a visit to get started on buying coverage.
What info do I need to apply?
- Personal information, including your name, address, email address and phone number.
- Driver’s license number and driving history.
- Employment information.
- Vehicle details, including the year, make, model and VIN.
- Payment information.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Dairyland
Unfortunately, Dairyland doesn’t allow customers to file claims online. Instead, you’ll need to call the claims line at 800-334-0090. It’s open 24/7 and a dedicated claims representative can walk you through the process.
What do I need to file a claim with Dairyland?
- Incident details of what happened, including the date and location.
- Vehicle and driver information for everyone involved.
- Insurance information for everyone involved, including policy number and insurer.
- Contact information for all parties involved.
How to contact Dairyland
There are two main ways you can get in touch with Dairyland:
- By phone. For a free quote, call 888-344-4357 on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. CT, or Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. For questions about your policy, call 800-334-0090. To make a payment, dial 800-334-0090.
- By email. To send an email, go to Dairyland’s site and click Contact. Fill out the online form and a representative will get back to you within 24 to 48 hours.
Dairyland is an established auto insurance provider for high-risk drivers that writes policies in 37 states. It has a range of coverage options, multiple discounts and a network of local agents that can provide personalized service and one-on-one support, though its online experience is limited.
Like any major financial decision, it’s important to compare your insurance options before choosing a provider.