Auto insurance with flexible payment and coverage options geared toward high-risk drivers in 37 states.
After budgeting for monthly car payments, gas, maintenance bills and other car-related costs, shopping for auto insurance is the last thing you want to think about. However, Dairyland makes it easy with a network of over 20,000 independent local agents that can help you find coverage that suits your needs — including policies for high-risk drivers. Plus, it offers flexible payment options and same-day SR-22 filing for high-risk drivers.
|Description||Dairyland offers auto insurance with flexible payment and coverage options for high-risk drivers in 37 states.|
|States served||Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|New car protection||No|
- Mobile app
- One-on-one support
- Same-day SR-22 filings
- Flexible payment options
- More expensive
- No online claims
- Lack of transparency
Who is Dairyland best for?
With policies available in 37 states, Dairyland auto insurance is a great choice for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding coverage elsewhere. Beyond its wide selection of coverage options, it has a network of over 20,000 independent agents that can help you find the right coverage. If you value one-on-one support and have been classified as a high-risk driver, Dairyland might be right for you.
Dairyland doesn’t write policies in the following states:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
What is Dairyland Insurance Company?
Established in 1953, Dairyland is headquartered in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. While the name is a nod to its Wisconsin roots, Dairyland sells coverage in 37 states.
Dairyland is one of the many subsidiaries of Sentry Insurance. While Sentry Insurance mainly specializes in business insurance, smaller companies like Dairyland were created to cater to different markets.
This provider is home to a selection of auto insurance policies, including SR-22 and non-owner insurance, specifically geared toward high-risk drivers. It offers a number of auto insurance discounts and payment plans to help you find coverage that fits your budget.
What car insurance coverage does Dairyland offer?
Dairyland has a number of auto insurance policies available, from state minimums to comprehensive coverage.
- Liability coverage. Covers costs related to bodily injury and property damage to another person if you’re at fault in an accident.
- Personal injury protection. Pays for medical expenses due to injuries to the driver and passengers in your vehicle, regardless of who is at fault in the accident. In some states, this can also cover lost wages and funeral costs.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Protects against bodily injury and sometimes property damage if you’re in an accident with a driver who’s at fault and doesn’t have enough coverage to pay for damages.
- Medical payment expenses. Pays for medical and funeral expenses if the driver and any passengers in your vehicle are harmed in an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Collision coverage. Covers damage to your vehicle due to a collision, regardless of who was at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage. Helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s damaged by something other than a collision, including theft, fire, vandalism or hitting an animal.
- SR-22. Dairyland can help you file an SR-22 certificate with your state if you’ve been ordered to prove you meet your state’s minimum coverage requirements.
- Gap insurance. This is often required by your lender when you purchase or lease a car. It protects the driver and lender when the vehicle is involved in an accident prior to being fully paid off.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for the use of a rental vehicle while your car is in the shop or unavailable after an accident.
- Towing and labor. Covers the cost of towing and labor to get your vehicle to a service center.
- Special equipment. This extra coverage option can pay for damages to special equipment or other modifications to your vehicle.
Dairyland car insurance rates
Dairyland is best known for its auto insurance policies for high-risk drivers, so its rates are often more expensive than its competitors. Drivers with clean driving records and high credit scores may be able to find cheaper coverage elsewhere. However, Dairyland offers a number of discounts that can help you save cash on your premiums.
What discounts can I get with Dairyland?
Dairyland offers a number of discounts to reduce the cost of your auto insurance policy, including:
- Multicar discount. Unlock a cheaper rate for insuring multiple vehicles under the same policy.
- Advanced quote discount. Receive a discount if you get a quote at least a week before your desired insurance policy start date.
- Transfer discount. Score a lower premium if you have coverage from another provider at least six months before getting coverage through Dairyland.
- Payment frequency discount. Get better rates if you pay your premiums quarterly, biannually or in a lump sum as opposed to monthly.
- Homeowners discount. You may be able to get a discount if you own a house, townhouse, mobile home or condo. Some states even offer discounts to renters.
- Defensive driving discount. You could shave a few bucks off your premium if you prove you’ve completed a driver safety course.
- Antitheft discount. Vehicles that are equipped with antitheft technology may be eligible for lower rates.
Does Dairyland offer any special programs?
Dairyland offers two special types of auto insurance, including:
- Non-owner insurance. This type of insurance provides liability coverage if you were to rent or borrow someone’s vehicle.
- Pay-as-you-go insurance. This coverage is based on how much you drive, as you’ll pay a low base rate, then additional fees per mile.
Pros and cons
- Mobile app. Allows customers to manage policies, view ID cards, make payments and more through its mobile app.
- One-on-one support. Offers support through local agents, ideal for those who prefer a more personal approach to insurance.
- Same-day SR-22 filings. High-risk drivers can get coverage immediately, with the SR-22 certificate sent to the state the same day.
- Flexible payment options. Local agents accept cash, credit card, debit card or EFT payments — or a mix of cash and cards, if that’s easier.
- More expensive. Since Dairyland focuses on coverage for high-risk drivers, its rates are often higher.
- No online claims. Unfortunately, Dairyland doesn’t allow customers to file claims online. Instead, you’ll need to call in and speak to an agent.
- Lack of transparency. Dairyland’s site is a bit unclear when it comes to coverage costs and policy details.
What do customers say about Dairyland?
While the Better Business Bureau (BBB) doesn’t have much information on Dairyland, its parent company, Sentry Insurance, has its own page on the BBB site. Although it’s not officially accredited with the bureau, it holds an A+ rating and earns 3.68 out of 5 stars as of August 2018.
Despite its solid ratings, this company has a number of negative reviews on the BBB site and other online forums. Most of these unhappy customers had problems with communication, denied claims and billing issues, which is pretty typical for insurance companies.
Your experience may differ from the reviews you read online. Most customers won’t leave a review unless their experience was overly negative, which is why there are often so many more complaints than positive reviews.
How to apply
Purchasing coverage from Dairyland is easy and can be done online, by phone or in person. Here’s how to get started:
- Go to the Dairyland site, enter your ZIP code and click Get a Quote.
- Enter personal information like your name, address and birth date. Click Continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, including its year, make and model, then click Continue.
- Add other driver details, and click Continue.
- Review coverage and policy details, then click Continue if you’re satisfied.
- Add more details including your VIN and driver’s license number, then click Continue.
- Review all records and coverage, then continue to payment when you’re ready.
- Add your payment info, then proceed to e-sign.
Call 888-344-4357 to speak with an agent. They can walk you through the process of getting a quote and purchasing coverage.
Visit the Dairyland site and click Find an Agent below the quote tool. Enter your ZIP code and click Find an Agent. Choose from the list of local agents near you and pay them a visit to get started on buying coverage.
What info do I need to apply?
Applying for insurance with Dairyland is easy, here’s what you’ll need:
- Personal information, including your name, address, email address and phone number.
- Driver’s license number and driving history.
- Employment information.
- Vehicle details, including the year, make, model and VIN.
- Payment information.
How to file an auto insurance claim with Dairyland
Unfortunately, Dairyland doesn’t allow customers to file claims online. Instead, you’ll need to call the claims line at 800-334-0090. It’s open 24/7 and a dedicated claims representative can walk you through the process.
What do I need to file a claim with Dairyland?
- Incident details of what happened, including the date and location.
- Vehicle and driver information for everyone involved.
- Insurance information for everyone involved, including policy number and insurer.
- Contact information for all parties involved.
How to contact Dairyland
There are two main ways you can get in touch with Dairyland:
- By phone. For a free quote, call 888-344-4357 on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. CT, or Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. For questions about your policy, call 800-334-0090. To make a payment, dial 800-334-0090.
- By email. To send an email, go to Dairyland’s site and click Contact. Fill out the online form and a representative will get back to you within 24 to 48 hours.
Does Dairyland offer other types of insurance?
Dairyland specializes in auto and motorcycle coverage and does not offer any other types of insurance. However, its parent company, Sentry Insurance, has a number of business insurance options, including:
- 401(k) plans and life insurance.
- Commercial auto insurance.
- Business liability insurance.
- Commercial property insurance.
- Business liability insurance.
- Workers’ compensation insurance.
Dairyland auto insurance competitors
If Dairyland insurance isn’t available where you are or if you’d just like to see what else is out there, here are a few other providers you may want to consider:
- Central Insurance. Offers affordable coverage and is known to accept drivers with prior accidents or traffic violations.
- Direct Auto. Specializing in non-standard auto insurance, Direct Auto can insure all applicants — regardless of their driving history.
- Farmers. Offers budget-friendly auto insurance policies, even if you have a less-than-perfect driving history.
- SafeAuto. Best known for cheap car insurance, SafeAuto is also able to insure high-risk drivers.
Compare car insurance providers
Dairyland is an established auto insurance provider for high-risk drivers that writes policies in 37 states. It has a range of coverage options, multiple discounts and a network of local agents that can provide personalized service and one-on-one support. However, since every agent is different, your experience may vary, and unlike many providers, you won’t be able to file claims online.
Like any major financial decision, it’s important to compare your options before choosing a provider.