Dairyland car insurance review
Auto insurance with flexible payment and coverage options for high-risk drivers
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you don’t have the best driving record.
- Pick something else if Dairyland isn’t available in your state.
- Can file SR-22s for high-risk drivers the same day as signup
New car protection
|States served||Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||Yes|
|Pay schedule||12 months, custom, Monthly|
- Mobile app
- One-on-one support
- Same-day SR-22 filings
- Flexible payment options
- More expensive
- No online claims
- Lack of transparency
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Transfer Discount, Payment Frequency Discount, Advanced Quote Discount|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
Dairyland is an established car insurance company for high-risk drivers, serving customers from a network of over 20,000 independent agents. These agents work hard to provide personalized service and one-on-one support.
However, Dairyland doesn’t allow you to file your claims online, an inconvenience especially given that many other insurers offer this online service. The company does offer an app and online account for policy management.
Also, because Dairyland caters to the high-risk crowd, it doesn’t have the lowest rates for safe drivers. Other companies probably offer better value for coverage if you have a clean record.
With policies available in 37 states, Dairyland car insurance is a solid choice for high-risk drivers who are having trouble finding coverage. No matter your driving record, compare several companies to find the price, coverage and support that serves you best.
How to get a free quote for Dairyland car insurance
Purchasing coverage from Dairyland is easy and can be done online or by calling 888-344-4357 to walk you through purchasing coverage. You can also find a local agent by entering your ZIP code in Dairyland’s agent locator tool and choosing from the list of agents near you.
Steps to buy a policy online:
- Go to the Dairyland site, enter your ZIP code and tap Get a Quote.
- Enter personal information like your name, address and birth date. Select Continue.
- Enter your vehicle information, including its year, make and model, then tap Continue.
- Add any other driver and vehicle details and tap Continue.
- Review all records and coverage, then continue to payment when you’re ready.
- Add your payment info and e-sign your documents to finalize your policy.
What info do I need to apply?
Make your application process a breeze by keeping this information by your side.
- Personal information, including your name, address, email address and phone number.
- Driver’s license number and driving history.
- Employment information.
- Vehicle details, including the year, make, model and VIN.
- Payment information.
Discounts that you can get with Dairyland
Dairyland offers several discounts to reduce the cost of your auto insurance policy, although it’s missing a few common discounts for customer loyalty, multiple policies or car safety features other than antitheft.
- Multicar discount. Unlock a cheaper rate for insuring multiple vehicles under the same policy.
- Advanced quote discount. Receive a discount if you get a quote at least a week before your desired insurance policy start date.
- Transfer discount. Score a lower premium if you have coverage from another provider at least six months before getting coverage through Dairyland.
- Payment frequency discount. Get better rates if you pay your premiums quarterly, biannually or in a lump sum as opposed to monthly.
- Homeowners discount. You may be able to get a discount if you own a house, townhouse, mobile home or condo. Some states even offer discounts to renters.
- Defensive driving discount. You could shave a few bucks off your premium if you prove you’ve completed a driver safety course.
- Antitheft discount. Vehicles that are equipped with antitheft technology may be eligible for lower rates.
Dairyland’s coverage add-ons and free perks
Dairyland helps you go beyond your state’s required coverage to get broad protection on the road. Your options include:
- Gap insurance. This is often required by your lender when you purchase or lease a car. It protects the driver and lender when the vehicle is involved in an accident prior to being fully paid off.
- Rental reimbursement. Pays for the use of a rental vehicle while your car is in the shop or unavailable after an accident.
- Towing and labor. Covers the cost of towing and labor to get your vehicle to a service center.
- Special equipment. This extra coverage option can pay for damages to special equipment or other modifications to your vehicle.
- Non-owner insurance. This type of insurance provides liability coverage if you were to rent or borrow someone’s vehicle.
- Pay-as-you-go insurance. This coverage is based on how much you drive, as you’ll pay a low base rate, then additional fees per mile.
- Mobile app. Allows customers to manage policies, view ID cards, make payments and more through its mobile app.
- SR-22. Dairyland can help you file an SR-22 certificate with your state if you’ve been ordered to prove you meet your state’s minimum coverage requirements.
Dairyland car insurance reviews and complaints
Dairyland holds the same Better Business Bureau ratings as its parent company, Sentry Insurance. Sentry isn’t officially accredited with the Beter Business Bureau, but it holds an A+ rating with the bureau as of 2021. About 80 customers have filed BBB complaints in the last three years — lower than other major companies that see over a hundred per year.
Dairyland’s Trustpilot score is a 4.4 out of 5, aggregated from nearly 5,500 customer reviews. Positive reviews mention helpful customer service, a quick application process and affordable rates. Complaints on Trustpilot and the BBB speak to a poor claims experience, difficulty in reaching customer service, not receiving a full refund when canceling a policy and errors with policy information that led to high premiums or issues with filing an SR-22.
To put these reviews in perspective, Dairyland scores a 2.69 on the 2020 National Association of Insurance Commissioners Complaint Index. Any number above 1.00 shows that the company sees more complaints than the industry norm. However, keep in mind that most customers won’t leave reviews unless their experience was overly negative.
Our star ratings for Dairyland, explained
Our car insurance experts rank Dairyland above average because of its high ratings, which include its BBB business rating, AM Best financial rating and Trustpilot score. However, Dairyland doesn’t offer several common discounts available with other companies, and its many complaints bring down its overall score.
Compare alternatives to Dairyland
See how Dairyland’s coverage, perks and cost measure up to other car insurance companies. When you’re ready, tap Get a quote to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage does Dairyland offer?
Dairyland offers the standard types of auto insurance coverage that you need to meet your state’s requirements, including:
- Liability coverage. Covers costs related to bodily injury and property damage to another person if you’re at fault in an accident.
- Personal injury protection. Pays for medical expenses due to injuries to the driver and passengers in your vehicle, regardless of who is at fault in the accident. In some states, this can also cover lost wages and funeral costs.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. Protects against bodily injury and sometimes property damage if you’re in an accident with a driver who’s at fault and doesn’t have enough coverage to pay for damages.
- Medical payment expenses. Pays for medical and funeral expenses if the driver and any passengers in your vehicle are harmed in an accident, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Collision coverage. Covers damage to your vehicle due to a collision, regardless of who was at fault.
- Comprehensive coverage. Helps pay to repair or replace your vehicle if it’s damaged by something other than a collision, including theft, fire, vandalism or hitting an animal.
Where can I get Dairyland car insurance?
Dairyland is available in 42 states. This insurer doesn’t write policies in the following states:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
Pros and cons of Dairyland car insurance
- Support from local agents. Offers support through local agents, ideal for those who prefer a more personal approach to insurance.
- Same-day SR-22 filings. High-risk drivers can get coverage immediately, with their SR-22 certificate sent to the state the same day.
- Flexible payment options. Local agents accept cash, credit card, debit card or EFT payments — or a mix of cash and cards, if that’s easier.
- Safe drivers won’t find the lowest rates. Since Dairyland focuses on coverage for high-risk drivers, its rates are often higher. Drivers with clean driving records and high credit scores may be able to find cheaper coverage elsewhere.
- No online claims. Dairyland doesn’t allow customers to file claims online — you’ll need to call in and speak to an agent instead. And its website is a bit unclear with coverage costs and policy details.
Filing an auto insurance claim with Dairyland
Unfortunately, Dairyland doesn’t allow customers to file claims online. Instead, you’ll need to call the claims line at 800-334-0090. It’s open 24/7 and a dedicated claims representative can walk you through the process.
What do I need to file a claim?
- Incident details of what happened, including the date and location.
- Vehicle and driver information for everyone involved.
- Insurance information for everyone involved, including policy number and insurer.
- Contact information for all parties involved.
Contacting Dairyland’s customer service
There are two main ways you can get in touch with Dairyland:
- By phone. For a free quote, call 888-344-4357 on weekdays from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. CT, or Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. For questions about your policy, call 800-334-0090. To make a payment, dial 800-334-0090.
- By email. To send an email, go to Dairyland’s site and click Contact. Fill out the online form and a representative will get back to you within 24 to 48 hours.
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.