Marcus Insights review
Catch a clear view of your habits to cut dead-weight spending.
finder.com’s rating: 3.9 / 5.0
★★★★★Marcus Insights, formerly known as Clarity Money is a free money management tool by Goldman Sachs that helps you organize your finances and optimize your money. It brings all of your external accounts into a single dashboard, and you don’t need a Marcus account, such as a Marcus savings account or loan, to use it. But while you can track your purchases and analyze your spending habits, it’s not a budgeting tool.
Minimum deposit to open
|Annual percentage yield (APY)||1.90% on balances of $0+ You'll need to open a High-Yield Marcus Online Savings Account through the Marcus Insights app|
|Minimum deposit to open||$0|
|New account fee||$0|
|Minimum balance to earn interest||$0|
Julia Cameron is a writer and editor who has experience in finance, mergers and acquisitions, content marketing and immigration law. She has a passion for interior design and an affinity for Old Florida, where she lives with her family.
Expert reviewMarcus Insightsis best for savers who want to cut down on spending costs. It’s also best for long-term use since insight into your spending habits is most effective over time. It organizes your finances into a single dashboard to produce quick analytics of your expenses and cash flow.
But it doesn’t support all banks and credit cards and it’s not the most comprehensive solution for budgeting.
How do I open a Marcus Insights account?
Ready to view your spending in one place? Download Marcus Insights on Apple or Google Play store. You can also open an account online following these steps:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Under Tools and Resources, click Marcus Insights and then Get started.
- Marcus Insights will send you an email to verify your address. Enter the verification code.
- Finally, link your bank accounts to your Marcus Insights account to sync your finances with the app.
To use Marcus Insights, you must be 18 years or older and live in the US, a US territory or on a US military base.
The only information you’ll need to open an account is the routing and account numbers for each account you’re linking. Marcus Insights doesn’t require you to submit a photo ID to confirm your identity since it’s not an actual bank.
What types of accounts can I link to Marcus Insights?
Sync these account types from thousands of financial instutituions with Marcus Insights:
- Checking accounts
- Savings accounts
- Credit card accounts
What are the benefits of Marcus Insights?Marcus Insights is free to download and use, compatible with both iPhones and Androids and won a Webby Award for excellence in 2017 for its slick and user-friendly design. Here’s what sets this app apart from the pack:
- Single dashboard. Link your checking, savings, investment, retirement, credit cards and loan accounts from thousands of financial institutions to see all your finances in one place. Using Marcus Insights, you’ll be able to check your balances and view your recent transactions without logging into multiple websites and apps.
- Visualize cash flow. Get a quick overview of what you’ve earned, saved, invested, spent and what’s leftover.
- Analyze your spending. The Marcus Insights spending tracker lets you see a breakdown of your transactions and sorts them into categories, including Shopping and Dining.
- Track expenses. See how much you’ve spent at individual merchants every month or every year. But expense tracking is only available on iOS.
What should I look out for?Marcus Insights is a third-party account and not an actual bank, so there might be some key functions you’ll need to perform directly within your bank’s online platform. Other disadvantages include:
- No customized budget. Marcus Insights is designed to illuminate your spending habits as they are. You can’t create a budget within the app for a more structured approach moving forward.
- Not multilingual. The app is only available in English.
- Only synced with US-based banks. Marcus Insights won’t sync with overseas banks.
- Doesn’t support all banks and credit cards. Marcus Insights uses Plaid to connect many major banks, including Chase and Wells Fargo, as well as smaller banks and credit unions. But some financial institutions, like 1st Pacific Bank, may not be available.
If you prefer a complete budgeting tool or one that links to your bank or credit card account, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, browse your options when looking for a checking account.
Is it safe?
Yes. Marcus uses multiple safeguards to protect your information, including multi-factor authentication, SSL encryption and firewalls. Its network is encrypted and monitored 24/7.
When you link an external account, Marcus Insights doesn’t store your username or password. And it never sells your data.
Compare Marcus Savings with other financial apps
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How do I contact Marcus Insights customer service?
Get support for your account by reaching out through:
- Phone. Call 855-730-7283 weekdays 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET and weekends 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET.
- Social media. Send a DM through Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.