Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Ford Explorer ST insurance rates
This SUV promises to be the most powerful Explorer model yet, but that power may come with a price.
Compare car insurance quotes
Enter your ZIP code below and click Compare to see the cheapest rates in your area.
But with the promised engine power increase in the 2020 Ford Explorer ST, insuring this model may cost you more. At a base price of $54,740, if your premiums stay within the expected average, the annual insurance cost–to–base car price ratio will be 3.7%, right around the national average of 4%.
Compare car insurance for your Ford Explorer ST
How do I compare insurance for the Ford Explorer ST?
As you research car insurance rates for the Explorer ST, keep these factors in mind:
- Body type. As a midsize SUV, the Explorer ST is closer in body type to a crossover, which can be cheaper to insure than full-size SUVs and pickups.
- Fuel. The Explorer isn’t known for great fuel economy, and the ST’s estimated 20 mpg stays true to earlier models. In other words, you won’t be making up for higher insurance costs at the pump.
- Theft rates. As a new model in the Explorer lineup, the ST doesn’t have any reported thefts, but in 2014 the Ford Explorer was the third most stolen SUV on the market, which could factor into higher insurance costs.
- Maintenance. Ford’s maintenance costs are traditionally low, and with the new FordPass Rewards program, you can earn points to get free or discounted dealer maintenance services. But the higher tech console and more powerful engine could raise maintenance costs — and by extension insurance rates.
- Coverage. Because Explorer isn’t a luxury car, you can opt for standard coverage. But collision and comprehensive are recommended for new cars and cars with high theft rates.
- Warranty. The ST includes a new vehicle limited warranty for three years or 36,000 miles, with five years or 60,000 miles for the powertrain. Luckily it comes with roadside assistance, so you can skip that coverage on your insurance policy.
Does the Ford Explorer ST qualify for discounts?
Yes. The ST comes equipped with the following features that may qualify for safety device insurance discounts:
- Antitheft device
- Antilock brakes
- Hybrid engine
- Front impact airbags
- Knee airbags
- Overhead airbags
- Side impact airbags
- Stability control
- Post crash alert system
- Latch system for child safety seats
How reliable is the Ford Explorer ST?
The early release of the ST has provided mixed reviews on reliability. Considering the Explorer’s track record, the ST might have similar moderate ratings.
- Safety. The 2020 ST failed to receive a safety award from the IIHS, and no NHTSA safety ratings are available as of this writing. The 2019 Explorer model earned an overall 5-star rating from the NHTSA.
- Reliability. As a new model, the Explorer ST hasn’t received a reliability rating, but the 2019 Explorer got a 79 out of 100 from J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study.
- Recalls. According to Consumer Reports, the 2020 Ford Explorer has been recalled three times by the NHTSA:
- The manual parking release cover wasn’t installed and vehicles were delivered to Ford lots while still in factory mode, which disables warning alerts and doesn’t properly display the transmission gear selected.
- On Explorers equipped with rear outboard seats, the manual seat back recliner mechanism was missing a part, weakening the seat so that it no longer met safety regulations.
- An inadequately secured wiring harness was causing contact with the air conditioner compressor causing damage to the wire and harness, and increasing the possibility of a fire. This issue was only found on Explorers with 2.3-liter and 3.3-liter engines. If you opt for the 3-liter EcoBoost engine available on the ST, this recall won’t apply.
The Ford Explorer ST is vying to be one of the most powerful SUVs on the market, and is at the top of the market. But the powerful engine combined with upscale cabin technology could cause your insurance rates to run a little higher for this model. Be sure to shop around to find the right insurance provider for you, or try comparing rates for other makes and models in this class.
Frequently asked questions about Explorer ST insurance
Read more on this topic
Church Pension Fund Group car insurance Compare car insurance coverage, perks and discounts from Church Pension Fund Group plus how to apply for a policy.
Archer Daniels Midland Group car insurance Compare car insurance coverage, perks and discounts from Archer Daniels Midland Group plus how to apply for a policy.
American Farmers & Ranchers Group car insurance Compare car insurance coverage, perks and discounts from American Farmers & Ranchers Group plus how to apply for a policy.
Compare car insurance after a speeding ticket Getting a speeding ticket can increase your car insurance costs, depending on several factors.
Compare affinity group car insurance discounts Members of these affinity groups could save 20% on car insurance.
Compare car insurance quotes Get car insurance quotes online in minutes from top car insurance companies.
Compare car insurance after a red light ticket Running a red light could increase your car insurance rates, depending on several factors.
Does my annual mileage affect my car insurance? Driving less than 8,000 miles a year could qualify you for a low mileage discount.
Compare State Farm car insurance discounts Enjoy standard discounts, plus extra savings for young drivers and State Farm’s telematics program.