Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business review
A cash back business card for those with fair credit.
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get this card if you’re looking for cash back on business expenses and have a fair credit score.
- Pick something else if you’re looking to pay balances on the card off slowly with a low APR.
- Apply for this card with a fair to good credit score of 630 or higher.
Up to 1%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business is a simple credit card with a $0 annual fee and 1% unlimited cashback on all purchases. You can apply with fair credit and with responsible card use — improve your credit.
However, you don’t get to earn a signup bonus or use a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers and purchases. But this isn’t surprising, considering you can apply with fair credit.
If you don’t have good or excellent credit and you want a business credit card with a rewards program — the Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business is definitely worth considering. Otherwise, with a high credit score you can find a way better credit card.
How to apply for the Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
How long will it take to be approved?
Capital One has automated conditional application approval on its website, meaning you may get a decision within minutes if the information provided is accurate. Applications that need further review may take several business days to be fully processed.
How long will it take to get my Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business?
Upon approval, you’ll receive your card within 7 to 10 business days via mail.
- Cash back. Earn 1% cash back on all purchases. There’s no limit to the amount you can earn each year, and the rate doesn’t go down based on how much you’ve spent. Get your cash back as statement credit, a check, or redeem it for credit towards previous purchases, gift cards and more.
- Build credit. If you’ve defaulted on a loan in the past five years, or if you have a limited credit history, you can apply for this card. By paying your bills on time and managing your account responsibly, you may be able to work your way up to stronger rewards cards.
- No annual fee. You’ll pay an exceptionally low annual fee of $0 to own this card.
You’ll also like …
- Visa® business benefits. Since this is a Visa card, you also get benefits such as car rental insurance, purchase protection, access to 24/7 emergency services when you travel and more.
- Free employee cards. Employees can help you earn rewards for every business purchases.
- Fraud alerts. Capital One will notify you of any suspicious activity by phone, text or email. You have $0 liability in case your card is stolen.
- Foreign transaction fees. Use your card overseas and for online international purchases without the worry of extra fees.
What to watch out for
- High APRs for purchases and cash advances. You’ll pay up to 26.99% variable APR on your purchases.
- Avoid late payments. Try to make your payments on time. You can incur late payment fees of up to $39, and if you’re late twice within 12 billing cycles Capital One may impose a penalty APR of 29.4% variable. Penalty APRs stick around until you make at least the minimum payment on time for 12 consecutive billing periods.
- No travel rewards. If your business mostly spends on travel expenses that you’re looking to get extra rewards from, you may want to look at other cards.
Compare business credit cards
What size business is the Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business good for?
The Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business could be a good choice for small businesses that have limited credit histories, and for those that had credit difficulties in the past.
You’ll get a chance to build up your business credit while earning 1% cash back on all purchases. That’s up to $500 in cash back if your business spends $50,000 annually.
What should I know before I apply
- Business name and address
- Type of industry you’re in
- Ownership type and how long you’ve been in business
- Tax Identification Number
- Annual revenue and monthly expenses
- Full name and personal contact information
- Date of birth and Social Security number
- Annual income and monthly housing expenses
What credit score do I need?
The Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business is designed for companies with lower credit or limited credit history. You can apply with a fair credit score of 630 or higher.
Be aware that Capital One pulls your credit history from TransUnion, Equifax and Experian, while other banks usually pull your credit from one credit bureau.
What’s my likelihood of approval?
You’ll have a chance of being approved for the Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business card if you apply with a fair to good credit score of 630 or higher.
Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business reviews and complaints
Many customer complaints revolve around the low credit limit received — some starting from just $500. Several claim it’s hard to increase their limit, even after years of paying on time, but that doesn’t seem to be the case with every customer.
Another complaint mentions the high APR. It should be noted that since this card is meant for companies with low or no credit history, the high APR is a trade-off.
The Better Business Bureau has accredited Capital One with a rating of A as of October 2020. However, it sports a 1.13 out of 5 when it comes to a customer rating from an average of nearly 500 reviews.
I got the card. Now what?
- Set up automatic cashback rewards preference. Go to Capital One website or contact their rewards center at 1-800-228-3001. Set up when to receive your cashback rewards — each calendar year, or when you reach a specific threshold of $25, $50, $100 or $200.
- Avoid paying fees and interest. Make your payments on time to avoid late fees of up to $39. If you make two late payments within 12 months, you’ll incur a penalty APR of 29.4% variable.
- Earn more with your employees. Earn more cash back by providing cards to your employees for business expenses.
- Contact customer service. Get in touch with Capital One by phone at 1-800-867-0904 or by signing in to your account.
The Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business card can help you earn unlimited cash back while building credit and paying for your business. You may still want to take a look at other options from Capital One and explore other providers. Lower APRs and better rewards bonuses may be available, especially if you have a high credit score.
Frequently asked questions about Capital One® Spark® Classic for Business
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.