- Marcus Online Savings. This high-yield online savings account offers a competitive 4.4% APY with no associated fees and no minimum opening deposit.
- Marcus CDs. Choose Marcus CD terms of six months to six years at rates from 4% APY on a 6-year term to 5.3% APY on 12-month terms.
Compare Marcus by Goldman Sachs to the competition
On the list of the top 50 bank holding companies in the US, Goldman Sachs comes in at No. 14 with more than $127 million in customer deposits. It’s flanked by HSBC with $123 million in deposits and the Bank of New York with $138 million.
Crowning the list is Bank of America, which holds an impressive $1.3 billion in customer deposits and operates more than 4,000 bank branches nationwide.
- High APY. Earn a solid 4.4% APY on your total account balance.
- No minimum deposit. You can get started with as little as $0. But Marcus by Goldman Sachs will close your account if it isn’t funded within 60 days.
- No excessive transaction fees. Unlike other banks, you won’t pay a fee if you make more than six outgoing transactions a month. But it reserves the right to close your account if you continue to go over this limit.
- One account option. The only savings account you can open with Marcus by Goldman Sachs is the High-Yield Online Savings Account.
- No ATM access. The high-yield savings account doesn’t come with a debit card or ATM access, so you’ll have to transfer your money to another account to withdraw cash.
- Maximum account balance. You can’t carry more than $1,000,000 in the account at a time, including interest.
- Strong APYs. CD rates range from 4% to 5.3% APY.
- Various terms. CD terms go as low as six months and as high as six years.
- $500 minimum deposit. This amount is relatively low considering some banks have opening deposit requirements as high as $10,000.
- Two CD options. Marcus by Goldman Sachs offers high-yield CDs for those who want to lock in the highest rate and no-penalty CDs for those who want to access their money for free within seven days of funding.
- No partial withdrawals. You’ll have to withdraw your full balance if you need to access your money before maturity.
- Strong rates. The Marcus Online Savings Account offers a competitive 4.4% APY, and its CDs offer strong rates.
- No fees. You’ll find no associated maintenance fees on its savings account, CDs or personal loan.
- Online application. Enjoy the ease of an entirely online signup process for all Marcus banking products.
- Daily customer service. Get help by phone, mail or live chat seven days a week.
- No checking accounts. Marcus by Goldman Sachs doesn’t have any checking accounts, so it may not be ideal if you were hoping to keep everything at one institution.
- No branches. Marcus is the online banking arm of Goldman Sachs, so you can’t visit a branch for in-person support.
What is Marcus Insights?
Marcus Insights is a free money management tool Goldman Sachs offers to organize your finances and optimize your money. It brings all of your external accounts into a single dashboard, and you don’t need a Marcus account — such as a Marcus savings account or loan — to use it.
But while you can track your purchases, analyze your spending habits and get a decent visual on your cash flow, it doesn’t allow you to customize your budget. Other caveats: It’s only available in English, and only supports US-based banks with some banks and credit cards getting left in the dust.
Generally, customers can sync these account types from thousands of financial institutions with Marcus Insights:
- Checking accounts
- Savings accounts
- Credit card accounts
Since the Marcus Insights tool only supports some financial institutions, check with your bank to see if Marcus Insights will work for you to meet your goals.
- Compare Marcus vs. Ally
What do regulators and customers say?
Marcus by Goldman Sachs is not an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau. The BBB gives it a C+ rating due to the time Marcus by Goldman Sachs has been in operation.
On the CPFB’s Consumer Complaint Database, you’ll find an equal number of complaints dispersed between this online bank’s savings accounts and home loans. Customers complain that it’s difficult to navigate the online application process and access their online accounts.
Goldman Sachs is insured by the FDIC and receives an outstanding CRA rating, which reflects how well a financial institution meets the credit needs of its community, including low- and moderate-income customers.
Goldman Sachs launched 10,000 Women, a program designed to reach out to female entrepreneurs around the world with business education, mentoring, management training and access to capital.
Launched in 2008, the initiative has since reached more than 10,000 women in over 56 countries.
Marcus by Goldman Sachs may offer a limited product range, but its savings accounts offer high interest rates without fees. And you can apply online without booking an appointment.
As long as you’re comfortable conducting your banking online, Marcus by Goldman Sachs is a viable option.
What is the routing number and SWIFT code for Marcus by Goldman Sachs?
The routing number is 124085260, and its SWIFT code is GSCMUS33XXX.
How do I get in touch with Marcus by Goldman Sachs?
Call the customer service center seven days a week at 855-730-7283.
What are the restrictions with what I can do with a personal loan from Marcus by Goldman Sachs?
Marcus by Goldman Sachs explicitly states that you can’t use your personal loan funds to finance education costs.
But you can use your personal loan to consolidate debt, renovate your home and finance your wedding or dream vacation.
What’s the difference between Marcus by Goldman Sachs and Goldman Sachs?
Marcus by Goldman Sachs is a brand of Goldman Sachs that specializes in online savings accounts, CDs and personal loans.
Marcus by Goldman Sachs is the personal banking arm of Goldman Sachs. It emphasizes customer service, trust, simplicity, security and putting its customers first. While its exclusively online accounts offer competitive rates and no fees, you’ll have to do without the convenience of ATM access.