The BankAmericard from Bank of America is a simple yet robust card. An excellent choice for travelers.
We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.The BankAmericard is notable for how simply the rewards program works. It is solid in many respects — it has a good introductory points offer, a straightforward points multiple, and flexible point-redemption options, for example — and it’s not bloated with a dizzying array of features. It doesn’t come with an annual fee either, so you can keep it around without feeling pressured to extract maximum value from it every year. It’s worth noting that this card is geared toward people with excellent credit.
|Product Name||BankAmericard Travel Rewards® Credit Card|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||16.24% to 24.24% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||16.24% to 24.24% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||19.24% to 26.24% variable|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 25 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$27|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|0% of transaction value|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Returned Payment Fee||$27|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater|
Product details, application requirements and fees
- APR for purchases (purchase rate). 0% intro APR for first 12 billing cycles; afterward, 16.24% to 24.24% variable based on creditworthiness
- Balance transfer rate. 16.24% to 24.24% variable based on creditworthiness
- Cash advance rate. 19.24% to 26.24% variable for direct deposit and check cash advances; 25.74% for bank cash advances
- Penalty APR. Up to 29.99% based on creditworthiness
- Annual fee. None
- Card type. Visa Signature
- Interest-free period. Up to 25 days
- Minimum interest. $1.50
- Minimum credit score. Excellent (720+)
- Minimum age. 18 years of age (21 years of age if permanent resident of Puerto Rico)
Fees and payments
- Annual fee. None
- Returned payment fee. Up to $27.00
- Late payment fee. Up to $38
- Balance transfer fee. of the amount of each transaction, $10 or 3 (whichever is greater)
- Cash advance fee. For direct deposit and check cash advances: $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater For ATM, over-the-counter, same-day, online and cash equivalent cash advances: The greater of $10 or 5% of the transaction amount. For overdraft protection cash advances: $12 per transaction (unless deposit account is overdrawn by less than $12).
- Foreign transaction fee. None
BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card review
For travelers overwhelmed by the flashy features of other travel cards, the BankAmericard offers a refreshing dose of simplicity. The card doesn’t offer different point multiples for various spending categories; instead, you’ll get a flat 1.5 points for every dollar spent anywhere.
Once you’re ready to redeem, you don’t have to funnel those points into specific travel categories. Points from the BankAmericard are used for statement credit, so you can spend on a variety of travel needs and get reimbursed later. As a bonus, your points are worth extra if you’re a Bank of America customer: 10% more if you have a Bank of America checking or savings account, and 25% to 75% more if you’re a member of Bank of America Preferred Rewards. A few commenters have remarked that in order to get the most out of the card, it’s worth it to have Preferred status.
The BankAmericard’s introductory 20,000-point offer isn’t as attractive as the Chase Sapphire Preferred’s or Barclaycard Arrival Plus’ 50,000-point bonus. Then again, the $1,000 spending requirement to unlock the points is highly accessible, and the $0 annual fee is a pleasant surprise for such a robust card. Add in no foreign transaction fees and a 0% introductory purchase APR for 12 billing cycles, and you have the ingredients for one of the best travel cards on the market.
Benefits of the BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card
- 20,000 introductory points offer. If you spend at least $1,000 within the first 90 days, you’ll receive 20,000 bonus points (the equivalent of $200 toward travel purchases).
- 1.5x points for all purchases. For every dollar you spend on any purchase, you’ll earn 1.5 points.
- Use points as statement credit. You have the flexibility to redeem points for a statement credit to pay for flights, hotels, vacation packages, cruises, rental cars or baggage fees.
- No annual fee. Enjoy your card without worrying about paying an annual membership fee. This incentivizes you to hold onto your card for a long time, which can be good for your credit history.
- No foreign transaction fees. You can use your card for international transactions without incurring fees.
- Introductory APR. For your first 12 billing cycles, you’ll receive a 0% APR on purchases. (Afterward, the APR will be 16.24% to 24.24% variable.)
- Bank of America customer extras. If you have an active Bank of America checking or savings account, your points will be worth 10% more when you redeem them. If you’re part of Bank of America Preferred Rewards, your points could be worth 25% to 75% more.
What to look out for with the BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card
- Penalty APR. For a late payment, your APR may be amended to up to 29.99% variable based on your creditworthiness.
- Sliding APR scale. Your purchase and balance transfer APR will be between 16.24% to 24.24% variable based on your creditworthiness.
- Potentially higher APR for cash advances. For direct deposit and check cash advances, the APR will be 19.24% to 26.24% variable. For bank cash advances (such as ATM cash advances), the APR will be 25.24%. You will also need to pay a cash advance fee depending on what type of cash advance you take out.
Compare other Bank of America credit cards
How to apply for the BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card
Simply fill out the online application at Bank of America’s website. But remember to always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
- You are at least 18 years of age (21 if you are a permanent resident of Puerto Rico)
Required documents & information
- Your name, residential status and residential address
- Your Social Security number
- Your email address, phone number and date of birth
- Financial information like your annual salary and wages
BankAmericard Travel Rewards Credit Card verdict:
A simple but rewarding travel card for those who have great credit, with easy point-redemption options and no annual fee.