While relatively expensive, this card can springboard you to an unsecured card, if you use it responsibly.
- Get this card if… you’re looking for the opportunity to upgrade to an unsecured card.
- Pick something else if… you don’t want an annual fee or you want a card with a low minimum security deposit.
- Recommended fair credit range of 620 to 679 to apply.
|Product Name||BankAmericard® Secured Credit Card|
|Balance Transfer Rate (not intro)||21.49% variable|
|APR for Purchases ( Purchase Rate )||21.49% variable|
|Cash Advance Rate||26.24%% variable|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 25 days|
|Returned Payment Fee||$27|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (MC)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|3% of transaction value|
|Minimum Credit Score||Poor (Below 660)|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Max credit limit|
This credit limit may not be issued to you immediately on application. This is the maximum credit limit for this card which must be applied for or offered to you after you are approved and have already opened the account.
|Returned Payment Fee||$27|
|Late Payment Fee||$38|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 3% of each transaction, whichever is greater|
The market for secured credit cards is surprisingly competitive. Perhaps equally surprising, the BankAmericard Secured credit card isn’t one of the top contenders.
For one, the card comes with a $39 annual fee. That’s a fairly steep price, given you’ll find excellent secured cards that charge no annual fee. The card also requires a $300 minimum security deposit, which is high compared to some secured cards. You can pick up the Discover it Secured Credit Card or Citi Secured Mastercard for a $200 deposit, or the Capital One Secured Mastercard for deposit of as low as a $49.
The BankAmericard does have one distinct advantage: You may be able to upgrade it to an unsecured card. After 12 months, Bank of America reviews your account for responsible use. If you qualify, you’ll get your security deposit back while continuing to use your card.
- Deposit return. After you’ve used the card for 12 months, Bank of America may review your account for responsible use. If you qualify, it returns your security deposit while you keep using your card.
You’ll also like …
- FICO score access. You’ll be able to view your FICO score, which Bank of America updates monthly.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. The BankAmericard Secured Credit Card has a $39 annual fee.
- $300 minimum security deposit. This deposit is relatively high for secured credit cards.
- It hurts to pay late. Making late or returned payments could result in fees as high as $38.
- No interest grace periods on cash advances or balance transfers. Cash advances and balance transfers accrue interest immediately.
Consider other cards if …
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee. You will find secured card options that come with no fee.
- You want a lower minimum security deposit. You could qualify for other secured cards with low minimum deposits.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the BankAmericard Secured credit card you must be at least 18 years old (or 21 if you’re a permanent resident of Puerto Rico).
When applying for the card, you’ll need to put down a security deposit. The minimum is $300 and the maximum is $4,900. Most likely, the amount you deposit will be your credit limit.
Always consider your options and your financial situation before you apply for a credit card.
Information you’ll need:
- Your full name and personal contact information
- Your residential status and monthly housing payment
- Your annual income, source of income and employment information
- Your opening deposit and bank account information
How to apply for the BankAmericard Secured Credit Card
1. Go to the Bank of America website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application form with your name, address, contact information and total annual income.
Specify your bank account information and the amount you want to deposit. Then review your application and submit it.
How likely is approval?
Secured credit cards are designed for those who are new to credit. They’re also offered to consumers with fair or even poor credit.
If your credit score is too low, you could be denied for a secured card. In this case, consider a secured credit card that doesn’t require a credit check.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional approval is automated on the Bank of America website, you may get a decision within 60 seconds. In some cases, you’ll need to wait a few days to a few weeks to receive a response.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. You can pay your card bill online — and enroll in autopay — at the Bank of America website.
- Avoid paying interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 25 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $38. Balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, call Bank of America at 800-732-9194, email using an online secure form, or connect on Twitter @BankofAmerica or on Facebook @BankofAmerica.
What are people saying about the BankAmericard Secured credit card
|Review Site||Reviewer||Star Rating|
|Value Penguin||Robert Harrow||73% or 4.5/5|
|Review Site||Star Rating||Review count|
|Credit Karma||4/5||16 reviews|
|Wallet Hub||3.7/5||425 reviews|
It’s relatively expensive, but the BankAmericard Secured credit card lets you build your credit score with timely payments. You’ll also have the opportunity to graduate to an unsecured card after 12 months.