Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card review
An excellent cashback card with no annual fee.
finder.com’s rating: 4.6 / 5
- Get this card if you want easy cash back — especially on gas and groceries — without an annual fee.
- Pick something else if you spend heavily on gas and groceries or want travel rewards.
- Apply with a good to excellent credit score of 720 to 850.
Up to 3%
Intro purchase APR
for the first 15 statement closing dates (then 13.99% to 23.99% variable)
|Welcome Offer||$200 after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days|
|Rewards||3% cash back on a chosen category and 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs for the first $2,500 each quarter combined, then 1% after that and on everything else|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 15 statement closing dates (then 13.99% to 23.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 15 statement closing dates (then 13.99% to 23.99% variable)|
|Recommended minimum credit score||720|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards, banking and investments writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, Business.com, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order by expertly navigating cutting-edge financial tools — including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
A $0 annual fee is a great start: It means you won’t feel pressured to use your card. The cash back you earn is a bonus, rather than an obligation to get your money’s worth. You can earn it at your own pace.
How to apply for the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card
- Go to the Bank of America website and click Apply now.
- Complete the application with details like your name, address, annual income and Social Security number.
- Review and submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Because conditional approval is automated on the Bank of America website, you’ll often get a decision within minutes. In some cases, you’ll need to wait a few business days to a few weeks to receive a response while Bank of America processes additional verification information.
A ‘1 2 3’ cash back credit card
You may have seen this term before; it’s shorthand for a card that offers 3%, 2% and 1% cash back. The Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card is an example of such a product — and it’s one of the top available.
- Annual fee: $0. A $0 annual fee means your cash back is all a plus. You won’t feel pressured to use the card to make it worth paying for.
- Signup bonus: Online cash. After you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 90 days your account is open, you receive a $200 online cash bonus.
- Cash back: More for gas and groceries. Earn 3% cash back on your chosen category (between gas, online shopping, dining, travel, drug stores, or home improvement) and 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs on your first $2,500 in combined purchases each quarter, reverting to 1% cash back after. You’ll also earn 1% cash back on everything else you buy.
- Intro APR: Purchases and balance transfers. Get a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 statement closing dates, reverting to 13.99% to 23.99% variable APR after. Make balance transfers within the first 60 days to qualify.
How much cashback rewards can I earn with the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card?
The Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card is effective if you spend around $800 a month in combined gas, grocery and wholesale-club purchases. Doing so helps you maximize your elevated rewards.
Here’s how much you might earn based on a similar monthly budget:
- $250 per month on gas x 3% = $90 cash back a year
- $500 per month on groceries and wholesale-club purchases x 2% = $120 cash back a year
- $400 per month in other purchases x 1% = $48 cash back a year
In total, you’d earn $258 cash back over a year.
You’ll also like …
- A cashback bonus for Bank of America customers. When you redeem your cash back into a Bank of America checking or savings account, you’ll get a 10% bonus on your earnings. Existing qualified clients of Bank of America Preferred Rewards could see a bonus of 25% and 75%.
What to watch out for
- Expiration on intro APRs. You’ll accrue no interest on your initial purchases and balance transfers for 15 statement closing dates. After, they’re subject to an APR of 13.99% to 23.99% variable.
- No interest grace period on cash advances. Any cash withdrawals accrue interest immediately. Balance transfers initiated outside the first 60 days your account is open also accrue interest right away.
- Bank of America Cash Rewards foreign transaction fee. Though the card offers strong cash back, you might want to avoid using it when you travel abroad. That’s because 3% of the transaction will be charged as a fee each time you use your card in a foreign country or for a foreign-currency transaction.
Compare similar cashback credit cards
Compare Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card with other cards
Should I get the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express or the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card?
The Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card is similar to the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, although it offers less cash back on gas and groceries.
On the plus side, it doesn’t have an annual fee, so it can effectively net you more cash back than its counterpart. Pick the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card if you spend modestly on gas and groceries.
- You spend a lot in different categories.
The Citi® Double Cash Card may offer more consistent cash back. And it’s a customer favorite, because it’s incredibly flexible. You’ll earn 1% cash back on everything you buy and another 1% back when you pay off your purchases. It’s a smart pick if you spend widely across multiple categories.
- You want travel rewards.
Consider excellent travel cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and Bank of America® Travel Rewards Credit Card.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card, you must be at least 18 years old (or at least 21 years old, if you live in Puerto Rico).
Information you’ll need
- Your name, residential status and address
- Your Social Security number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
- Financial information like your annual income, source of income and employment information
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 720 to 850.
Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card reviews and complaints.
Cardholders are generally pleased that the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card comes with no annual fee. Overall, they also like the card’s points structure. That said, some customers say they don’t get as much out of the card as they’d like, because they don’t spend much on gas or groceries.
Bank of America earned a Trustpilot score of 1.3 out of 5 at the time of this writing. Most negative reviews cite unhelpful customer support. Positive reviews often point to the bank’s easy-to-use website.
Bank of America also earns an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau as of October 2020 and has been accredited since 1949.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. You can pay your card bill online and enroll in autopay at the Bank of America website.
- Avoid interest payments. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of at least 25 days to pay your balance without being charged interest.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $40. Balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Customer service. Call Bank of America customer support at 1-800-432-1000 with any additional questions you might have. You can also email Bank of America using an online secure form or connect through social media on Twitter or Facebook @BankofAmerica.
How do I redeem rewards from Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card?
Log in to your Bank of America online account. You can redeem when your cash rewards balance is $25 or more.
Redeem for these rewards:
- Statement credit, which reduces the amount you need to pay on your credit card bill.
- A check.
- An electronic deposit into a Bank of America savings or checking account.
- A contribution to an eligible Cash Management Account with Merrill Edge or Merrill Lynch Wealth Management.
The Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card is an excellent cashback card, and it gets even better with a $0 annual fee. It may be an especially good choice if you spend regularly on gas and groceries.
Frequently asked questions
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.