Bank of Missouri Show Me Savers Club review
Earns 0.1% APY, but interest is only paid once every six months.Bank of Missouri‘s Show Me Savers account earns more interest than the average kids’ savings account, but it’s far from the best rate. You can’t open it without working with a representative, and interest is only paid out twice a year.
If you live in Missouri and already have a Bank of Missouri account, Show Me Savers is worth considering. Otherwise, you might want to explore more convenient options.
Minimum deposit to open
Michael Benninger is a staff banking writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael is passionate about all facets of personal finance and has written hundreds of articles about money management during the past decade.
The Bank of Missouri Show Me Savers Club account is best for kids with parents who live in Missouri and already have an account with the bank. Balances in this account earn 0.1% APT, which is an above-average interest rate, but it’s not particularly competitive compared to other accounts. For example, you can earn 0.55% APY with Alliant Kids Savings Account account. Plus, interest in the Show Me Savers Club account only gets paid out twice a year. Whereas other savings accounts typically compound on a monthly basis.
The frequent deposit card is a nice touch and can encourage your child to deposit money more often, but it requires visits to a branch, which could be inconvenient. Another downside is that you can’t open this account online without contacting the branch via phone or email.
If you want your child to earn more interest without any inconveniences, you’ll want to consider other top savings accounts for kids.
How do I open a Bank of Missouri Show Me Savers Club account?
You can’t open this account via Bank of Missouri‘s website, but you can initiate the process and have a banker contact you. Getting started takes about five minutes.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- Navigate to the Provider site and select Personal, then Show Me Savers.
- Choose Start saving for the future.
- Fill in your personal information, and state whether you’re a current Bank of Missouri customer.
- Select Savings account for kids.
- From the dropdown menu, select the Bank of Missouri location most convenient for you.
- In the text box, write a note explaining that you wish to open a Show Me Savers account.
- Select Submit and wait for a Bank of Missouri representative to contact you.
To open a Show Me Savers Club account, you and your child must meet the following criteria.
- Adult must be over the age of 18
- Child must be under the age of 18
- Minimum opening deposit of $25
- Government-issued ID
You’ll need to provide the following information when opening this account.
- Your and your child’s Social Security numbers
- Your and your child’s names and addresses
- A utility bill to verify your address
- Contact details, including your phone number and email address
What are the benefits of a savings account with the Bank of Missouri?
Like most savings accounts for kids, Show Me Savers is free to open and maintain. The account also offers these benefits.
- Above-average APY. Any balance in this account earns 0.1% APY, which is currently more than double the national average.
- Frequent deposit card. After you open this account, you’ll receive a punchcard that lets your kid earn rewards when they make deposits at a Bank of Missouri branch.
What should I look out for?
This account also has a few drawbacks you should bear in mind.
- Can’t open on your own. Although you can fill out an online form, you can’t open this account without working with a representative.
- Branches are only in Missouri. This bank has nearly 40 branches throughout Missouri, but it doesn’t have a presence in other states.
- Semiannual interest. With most other savings accounts for kids, interest compounds on a monthly or quarterly basis. But interest on this account is only paid every six months. Granted, that won’t make much of a bottom-line difference unless you maintain a high balance in this account for several years.
- Automatically converts to an adult account Once your child turns 18, Bank of Missouri will convert the account to their Statement Savings account, which has a quarterly fee of $5 if your daily balance falls below $100.
Compare Bank of Missouri‘s Show Me Savers Club with other savings accounts
See how other savings accounts for kids stack up based on their deposits and interest rates.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
There are several ways to move money into and out of your kid’s Show Me Savers Club account.
- Branch deposit. Deposit cash or checks at any Bank of Missouri branch.
- Internal transfer. If you have a separate Bank of Missouri checking or savings account, you can transfer funds to your kid’s account online or via the mobile app.
- Mobile deposit. Use the Bank of Missouri app to deposit checks directly into this account.
- ATM deposits. If you have a linked Bank of Missouri checking account, you can deposit funds into your child’s savings account at Bank of Missouri ATMs.
- Incoming ACH transfers. Deposit funds into this account from an external bank’s website or app.
- Wire transfers. Fund this account via wire transfers, but Bank of Missouri charges a $10 fee for incoming wires.
- Incoming Zelle transfers. This account supports deposits made with the Zelle money transfer app.
- Branch. Withdraw funds from this account at any Bank of Missouri branch.
- ATM. If you have a linked Bank of Missouri checking account, you can withdraw funds from your child’s account at a Bank of Missouri ATM as long as you’re the joint owner.
- Internal transfer. Transfer funds out of the Show Me Savers account if you have a linked Bank of Missouri account.
- Outgoing ACH transfer. Transfer funds to an external bank account using your routing and account number.
- Wire transfer. Send outgoing wire transfers to an external bank, but there’s a $30 fee.
- Outgoing Zelle transfers. Move money to an external account that’s compatible with the Zelle app.
What other savings options does the Bank of Missouri offer?Bank of Missouri has several other savings accounts besides the Show Me Savers Club.
- Statement Savings. Requires a minimum opening deposit of $100, and there’s a $5 monthly fee if your balance falls below $100.
- Bank of Missouri Money Market Plus. Requires a $100 minimum opening deposit, and interest is paid monthly, but there’s a $9 monthly service charge if your balance is below $2,500.
- High-Performance Savings. Earn up to 0.21% APY and avoid a monthly service charge, but there’s a $10,000 minimum opening deposit.
- Bank of Missouri CDs. With a $500 minimum deposit, you can open a CD with terms ranging from three to 60 months and APYs ranging from 0.16% to 0.66%.
- Coverdell Education Savings Accounts. This tax-deferred account lets you save for a child’s education, but you’re limited to contributing $2,000 per year.
How to contact the Bank of Missouri about my savings account?
Contact the Bank of Missouri via any of the following methods.
- Visit any of the 40 Bank of Missouri branches.
- Call 888-547-6541 from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. CT on weekdays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT on Saturdays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT on Sundays and holidays, excluding Christmas and Thanksgiving.
- Chat with a representative via the bank’s app or from the website if you’re logged into your account.
- Fill out the Contact Us form on the Bank of Missouri‘s website and a representative will email you back.
- Reach out to the Bank of Missouri via Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.