Arbella car insurance review May 2021
If you live in New England, check out the exclusive service and benefits from this local insurer.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want a policy tailored to the challenges of driving in New England.
- Pick something else if you have a poor driving record.
- As part of a mutual firm, drivers will reap the benefits of Arbella’s success.
New car protection
|States served||Connecticut, Massachusetts|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, custom|
|Claims methods||online, phone, in-person|
- Local independent agents
- 24/7 claims processing
- Drive-in claim centers
- Sophisticated online portal
- Flexible payments
- Pet protection
- Wheel Focused app
- No live chat
- Limited reach
- Not lenient with driving history
- Higher base rates
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 1%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Military discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 36%|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Energy-Saving Hybrids Or Electrics, up to 10% discount for driving a hybrid or electric car|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for nearly five years, after earning an English education degree. Her insurance know-how has been featured on CarInsurance.com. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Arbella caters to New England drivers, and as a mutual company, relies on excellent customer service. Its agents are independent and local, so you know you’re working with someone who really understands your state. Massachusetts drivers can face high auto insurance rates, but Arbella does its best to reduce these with its discounts, which can be stacked for a cheaper premium.
If Arbella’s car insurance options tailored to New England drivers who care about local service and discounts don’t fit the bill, you still have plenty of options to find the best car insurance for you. The key is to compare car insurance policies against your own situation.
How to apply for Arbella car insurance
Since Arbella sells insurance through independent agents, you’ll need to get in touch with an agent to apply. You can’t get an online quote or chat with an agent online from the Arbella website, but most agents have a phone number, email or website with a contact form.
- Head to Arbella’s website and type in your ZIP code in the Find an Agent box.
- A list of agents and their insurance expertise and contact details will pop up.
- Choose any one of the auto insurers to walk you through the application.
What info do I need to apply?
You’ll need your driver’s license number, along with details on your driving history, car and other nominated drivers.
What discounts can I get with Arbella?
For qualifying customers, Arbella offers a string of discounts and rewards.
- Disappearing deductible rewards plus. If you stay accident free, Arbella reduces your collision deductible when you renew.
- Accident forgiveness. Available in Massachusetts, this waives some of the penalties for one at-fault accident. This is open to customers who have been on the road for six or more years and boast excellent driving records.
- Pay in full. Pay your premium up front for a 3% discount.
- Low-mileage drivers. Drive less than 10,000 miles a year? You’ll pay less on your rate.
- Good student. If you’re a full-time student with ace grades — a B average or higher — you’ll get a discount.
- Driver simulator. Young drivers who successfully complete an approved simulation program will score a 7% discount. And those who go on to do an advanced driver training program will save another 5%.
- Student away. If your kid goes to school more than 100 miles away, you can save 10%.
- Military away. When you’re deployed on active military duty more than 100 miles from home, Arbella will slash your policy by 10%.
- Bundling discounts. If you have other types of personal insurance with Arbella, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Carpartment. Purchase auto insurance, and Arbella will throw in renter’s insurance for as little as $3 a week.
- Arbella advantage. This rewards new and second-year policyholders with up to a 12% discount.
- Loyalty discount. Every year you renew, Arbella will credit your account.
- Multi-car. The more cars you insure, the cheaper your premium.
- Hybrid or electric cars. Being eco-friendly doesn’t just feel good — it also drives down your premium.
- Multicar family discount. Newish drivers with their own policies can lower their premium by 5% — if they still live at home.
What car insurance coverage does Arbella offer?
If you exclusively drive in New England — specifically, Massachusetts or Connecticut — Arbella is a solid choice. It’s staunchly local and has unbeatable expertise in the area. It also has offices and drive-in claims centers dotted around those two states, so you’ll be able to resolve any issues quickly.
Arbella supplements the standard types of coverage with a few extra options that cater to New Englanders and pet owners.
- Comprehensive. This offers protection in the event of theft, fire, flood, vandalism or glass breakage.
- Collision. This helps to pay for the damage to your car, no matter who caused the accident or incident.
- Bodily injury to others. This covers the cost — up to $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident — if you accidentally injure someone while driving. It can also help to pay for legal defense.
- Personal injury protection. This pays up to $8,000 for medical expenses, replacement services and 75% of lost wages in case of an accident — regardless of who’s at fault.
- Bodily injury caused by uninsured motorists. This protects you, and anyone who drives your car, against losses caused by hit-and-run and uninsured drivers. Arbella requires a minimum limit of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.
- Property damage. With a minimum limit of $5,000, this helps pay for the damage you cause to another person’s property.
- Loan/lease gap. In the event of an accident where your car’s a “total loss,” this pays the difference between your car’s depreciated value at the time and the full cost of replacing it.
- Pet protection. One of the few insurers who offers this, pet protection covers up to $500 in vet fees if your cat or dog is injured in an accident.
- Personal property package. An optional add on, this pays a portion of the cost of replacing or repairing expensive personal items in an accident, like PDAs — up to $200; child car seats — up to $250; and laptops — up to $1,000.
- Snowplow. Available in Massachusetts, this takes care of the cost of your plowing equipment if it’s damaged in an accident after paying a $200 deductible.
- OEM (original equipment manufacturer) coverage. For qualifying cars in Connecticut, this pays for parts to be replaced with those from the original manufacturer instead of third party parts.
- Roadside assistance. Included free with most policies, covers towing within certain distance limits and roadside assistance for flat tires, battery jumps and other common car problems.
- New car replacement. Free with most policies, this offers extras like new vehicle replacement coverage and enhanced towing.
Arbella car insurance reviews and complaints
Arbella Insurance Group has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2009 and has an A+ rating. As of October 2020, the BBB has closed just 12 complaints in the last three years, most of which touched on billing, changing a policy and slow claims processing. On online forums, customers praise the company’s personalized attention and local knowledge.
In J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Insurance Study, Arbella ranked 7 out of 16 insurers surveyed in the New England region. It scored about average for overall customer satisfaction, billing, pricing and policy offerings.
How to contact Arbella
You can get in touch with Arbella customer service by:
- Phone. Call 800-272-3552 to speak to a customer service agent.
- Email. Send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail. Write a letter and mail it to: PO Box 699103, Quincy, MA 02279-9225
Alternatives to Arbella
If having a local agent is important to you, check out National General, Geico and Liberty Mutual, who all have agents across the country.
What is the Disappearing Deductible Rewards Plus program?
Along with its deep discounts, Arbella has an attractive Disappearing Deductible Rewards Plus program. Every time you renew your policy without an at-fault accident, you’ll earn a $100 reward credit toward your collision deductible. In other words, you’ll score $100 every year for being a good driver — as long as you have the endorsement on your policy. And if you do get into an accident, you can take the money you’ve earned and put it toward your deductible. These rewards have a maximum of $500.
This program also offers $35 per day for rental vehicle loss of income up to $500, covers the accidental discharge of an airbag and pays for bail bonds as a result of an accident if you have bodily injury liability insurance.
What is the Arbella Carpartment program?
Arbella promotes its “Carpartment” coverage for customers who purchase auto and renters insurance together. Arbella offers a discount on renters insurance, which is great for drivers renting homes in Boston, Hartford or other cities in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
Pros and cons of Arbella car insurance
- Local independent agents. There are agents across the region, and they’re schooled on the ins and outs of your state.
- 24/7 claims processing. You can file a claim over the phone or online at any time.
- Drive-in claim centers. Arbella has 12 claim centers in Massachusetts, all of which aim to appraise your car in 20 minutes.
- Sophisticated online portal. Manage your account and monitor claims via the MyArbella online portal.
- Flexible payments. Pay upfront or in installments. You can settle your bill online, over the phone or send a check in the mail.
- Pet protection. If your furry friend is injured in an accident, Arbella will cover up to $500 in vet fees.
- Wheel Focused app. You can test your safe driving skills on Arbella’s smartphone app.
- No live chat. Unlike most major insurers, Arbella doesn’t have this real-time functionality.
- Limited reach. Auto insurance policies are only available in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Not lenient with driving history. Drivers with blemishes in their recent history tend to face higher rates.
- Higher base rates. Arbella’s rates aren’t the cheapest, but this is partly a product of its service area.
Frequently asked questions about Arbella car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.