Arbella car insurance review 2021
If you live in New England, get friendly agents without sacrificing coverage or online tools.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you like working with a local company and agents.
- Pick something else if you have several violations on your driving record.
- Drivers in Connecticut or Massachusetts qualify for a policy.
New car protection
|States served||Connecticut, Massachusetts|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, custom|
|Claims methods||online, phone, in-person|
- Local independent agents
- 24/7 claims processing
- Drive-in claim centers
- Sophisticated online portal
- Flexible payments
- Pet protection
- Wheel Focused app
- No live chat
- Limited reach
- Not lenient with driving history
- Higher base rates
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Good student discount||Yes, up to 5%|
|Loyalty discount||Yes, up to 1%|
|Homeowner discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Military discount||Yes, up to 10%|
|Safety device discount||Yes, up to 36%|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Energy-Saving Hybrids Or Electrics, up to 10% discount for driving a hybrid or electric car|
Sarah George is an insurance writer at Finder who’s penned over 400 articles, unraveling complicated topics about car, home and life insurance. Her insurance know-how has been featured in online publications, including Breeze, CBS, CNET and Reviews.com, as well as Finder’s YouTube channel. Sarah is working to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance (CEPF).
If you live in Massachusetts or Connecticut, Arbella is a solid choice. Arbella prides itself in its local, personalized service, and its independent agents offer unbeatable expertise in the area. It also keeps offices and drive-in claims centers dotted around these states, so that you can resolve claims issues quickly.
Massachusetts drivers can face high auto insurance rates. Arbella does its best to reduce these premiums with its discounts, which drivers can stack for a cheaper premium. The company also offers policy management online or in its app, a convenience that’s not always available with local companies.
Arbella’s car insurance options are tailored to New England drivers who care about local service, ample coverage and solid discounts.
That said, Arbella isn’t lenient in its premiums if you’re considered high risk. If you have several violations on record or a local company doesn’t fit the bill, you have plenty of options to find the right car insurance policy for you.
How to get a free quote for Arbella car insurance
Since Arbella sells insurance through independent agents, you’ll need to get in touch with an agent to apply. You can’t get an online quote or chat with an agent online from the Arbella website.
- Head to Arbella’s website and type in your ZIP code in the Find an Agent box.
- A list of agents, their insurance expertise and their contact details will pop up.
- Choose any one of the auto insurers to walk you through the application.
- Finalize your coverage details and start your policy.
What info do I need to apply?
You’ll need your driver’s license number, along with details on your driving history, car and other nominated drivers.
What discounts can I get with Arbella?
Arbella offers a string of discounts and rewards to temper your car insurance premium.
- Accident forgiveness. Available in Massachusetts, this waives some of the penalties for one at-fault accident. This is open to customers who have been on the road for six or more years and boast excellent driving records.
- Bundling. If you have other types of personal insurance with Arbella, you may be eligible for a discount. And if you buy auto insurance, Arbella throws in renter’s insurance for as little as $3 a week.
- Disappearing deductible rewards plus. If you stay accident free, Arbella reduces your collision deductible when you renew.
- Driver simulator. Young drivers who successfully complete an approved simulation program will score a 7% discount. And those who go on to do an advanced driver training program will save another 5%.
- Family. Newish drivers with their own policies can lower their premium by 5% — if they still live at home.
- Good student. If you’re a full-time student with ace grades — a B average or higher — you’ll get a discount.
- Hybrid or electric cars. Being eco-friendly doesn’t just feel good — it also drives down your premium.
- Low-mileage drivers. Drive less than 10,000 miles a year? You’ll pay less on your rate.
- Loyalty. This rewards new and second-year policyholders with up to a 12% discount. Plus, every year you renew, Arbella will credit your account.
- Multi-car. The more cars you insure, the cheaper your premium.
- Pay in full. Pay your premium up front for a 3% discount.
- Student or military away. If your kid goes to school or you’re deployed on active military duty more than 100 miles away, you can save 10%.
What add-ons and benefits can I get with Arbella?
You don’t have a shortage of add-on coverage to choose from with this local insurance company. Your options include:
- Pet protection. One of the few insurers who offers this, pet protection covers up to $500 in vet fees if your cat or dog is injured in an accident.
- Roadside assistance. Included free with most policies, covers towing within certain distance limits and roadside assistance for flat tires, battery jumps and other common car problems.
- Snowplow. Available in Massachusetts, this takes care of the cost of your plowing equipment if it’s damaged in an accident after paying a $200 deductible.
- New car replacement. Free with most policies, this offers extras like new vehicle replacement coverage and enhanced towing.
- Original equipment coverage. For qualifying cars in Connecticut, this pays for parts to be replaced with those from the original manufacturer instead of third-party parts.
- Personal belongings. An optional add on, this pays a portion of the cost of replacing or repairing expensive personal items in an accident, like PDAs — up to $200; child car seats — up to $250; and laptops — up to $1,000.
Arbella car insurance reviews and complaints
Arbella Insurance Group has been accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2009 and has an A+ rating as of 2021. The BBB has closed just 5 complaints in the last three years. Only one complaint has been filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners for private auto insurance in 2020, fewer than normal for an insurance company.
Some negative reviews touch on continued billing charges after canceling their policies, raised premiums and difficulty getting in touch with customer service. On online forums, customers praise the company’s personalized attention and local knowledge.
In J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, Arbella ranked 7 out of 14 insurers surveyed in the New England region. It scored 815 out of 1,000 points, about average for overall customer satisfaction, billing, pricing and policy offerings.
Our star ratings for Arbella, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate Arbella above average because of its high business and financial ratings, along with few customer complaints that show overall satisfaction. Arbella also scores well for pricing due to its long list of discounts available.
Alternatives to Arbella
If having a local agent is important to you, check out State Farm, Progressive or Allstate who have agents across the country. After finding a company that interests you, tap Get quotes to see your rate.
What car insurance coverage does Arbella offer?
Arbella supplements the standard types of coverage with a few extra options that cater to New Englanders and pet owners.
- Bodily injury to others. This covers the cost — up to $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident — if you accidentally injure someone while driving. It can also help to pay for legal defense.
- Bodily injury caused by uninsured motorists. This protects you, and anyone who drives your car, against losses caused by hit-and-run and uninsured drivers. Arbella requires a minimum limit of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.
- Comprehensive. This offers protection in the event of theft, fire, flood, vandalism or glass breakage.
- Collision. This helps to pay for the damage to your car, no matter who caused the accident or incident.
- Loan/lease gap. In the event of an accident where your car’s a “total loss,” this pays the difference between your car’s depreciated value at the time and the full cost of replacing it.
- Personal injury protection. This pays up to $8,000 for medical expenses, replacement services and 75% of lost wages in case of an accident — regardless of who’s at fault.
- Property damage liability. With a minimum limit of $5,000, this helps pay for the damage you cause to another person’s property.
Pros and cons of Arbella car insurance
With Arbella, you can enjoy the personalized service of a local agent, while getting the wide protection and convenient online tools that major brands offer. But it’s not lenient with driving violations or accidents.
Arbella stands out from other insurance companies with its:
- Local, independent agents. There are agents across the region, and they’re schooled on the ins and outs of your state.
- Drive-in claim centers. Arbella has 12 claim centers in Massachusetts, which can appraise your car in 20 minutes.
- Convenient app and online tools. Manage your account and monitor claims via the MyArbella online portal or app. You also can test your safe driving skills on Arbella’s Wheel Focused app.
- Flexible payments. Pay upfront or in installments. You can settle your bill online, over the phone or send a check in the mail.
Like any company, Arbella doesn’t cater to every driver and lacks a few features that some customers prefer. Watch out for:
- No live chat. Unlike most major insurers, Arbella doesn’t have this real-time functionality.
- Limited reach. Auto insurance policies are only available in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Not lenient with driving history. Drivers with blemishes in their recent history tend to face higher rates.
- Higher base rates. Arbella’s rates aren’t the cheapest, but this is partly a product of its service area.
What is the Disappearing Deductible Rewards Plus program?
Along with its deep discounts, Arbella has an attractive Disappearing Deductible Rewards Plus program. Every time you renew your policy without an at-fault accident, you’ll earn a $100 reward credit toward your collision deductible. In other words, you’ll score $100 every year for being a good driver — as long as you have the endorsement on your policy. And if you do get into an accident, you can take the money you’ve earned and put it toward your deductible. These rewards have a maximum of $500.
This program also offers $35 per day for rental vehicle loss of income up to $500, covers the accidental discharge of an airbag and pays for bail bonds as a result of an accident if you have bodily injury liability insurance.
What is the Arbella Carpartment program?
Arbella promotes its “Carpartment” coverage for customers who purchase auto and renters insurance together. Arbella offers a discount on renters insurance, which is great for drivers renting homes in Boston, Hartford or other cities in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
How to contact Arbella
You can get in touch with Arbella customer service by phone or email, although many customers like reaching out to their local agent first.
- Phone. Call 800-272-3552 to speak to a customer service agent.
- Email. Send a note to email@example.com.
- Mail. Write a letter and mail it to: PO Box 699103, Quincy, MA 02279-9225
Frequently asked questions about Arbella car insurance
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.