American National car insurance review Nov 2020
Serious insurance bundlers can score the best discounts with this provider.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want local agents and bundling discounts.
- Pick something else if you want online support or extra perks.
- Best rates for drivers who want to bundle life, home and auto insurance
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||No|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
No info available
- Free perks and cashback
- Convenient local agents
- Online or in-app claims
- Site difficult to navigate
- Mixed customer service information
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Claim-free cashback|
Gabrielle Pastorek is a staff writer at Finder, helping readers to round up the best deals, coupons, retailers, products and services to make sound financial decisions. She's written more than 800 articles on the site and is a quoted expert in Best Company and DealNews. She earned an MFA from the University of Pittsburgh, with essays and short stories published in The Collagist, Blue Monday Review, Blotterature and others. When she’s not writing, Gabrielle can be found out in the barn with her horse, Lucy.
If you’d like to bundle your home, auto, life or other types of insurance, American National offers plenty of discount opportunities that could save you in the long run. You’ll also find friendly local agents to help you with your questions and coverage needs, a plus if you enjoy that personal interaction.
However, if you’re just looking for standard car insurance, American National may be on the pricey side compared to other companies.
What car insurance coverage does American National offer?
American National offers a long list of options that go beyond state minimum requirements.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers the cost of medical bills if you’re in an at-fault accident. Most states require this coverage.
- Property damage liability. Covers the costs of property damages, including vehicles that you’re legally responsible for. Most states require this coverage.
- Collision. If your car is damaged in an accident, collision coverage pays for the cost of repairs. If you have a car loan, your bank probably requires this coverage.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for anything other than collision damage, such as theft, fire or vandalism. Some banks may require comprehensive coverage if you’re making car loan payments.
- Roadside assistance. Add 24/7, 365-day roadside assistance for an additional monthly fee.
- Gap coverage. If your car is totaled but you still owe money on it, gap coverage pays the difference between your outstanding loan balance and the value of your car, up to $10,000.
- New car replacement coverage. You can replace your vehicle with a comparable one if your car is less than one year old with less than 15,000 miles on it. The damage will also have to cost more 25% of the car’s original cost.
- OEM parts. Get coverage for original manufacturer replacement parts for repairs, some personal belongings and unowned trailer coverage. The exact coverage varies based on your state.
Free coverage with American National
You can get some free coverage if you add both comprehensive and collision coverage to your policy:
- Car rental coverage. Covers the cost of a rental car after an accident. If you purchase collision or comprehensive coverage, car rental coverage is included for free.
- Customized equipment. With collision and comprehensive coverage, get up to $2,000 of customized equipment protection to repair or replace aftermarket parts. If you don’t have any customized equipment, American National covers original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts.
What discounts can I get with American National?
American National offers lots of discounts, especially for bundling other types of insurance. Its savings opportunities include:
- Shared deductible. If you have auto and home insurance with this company, pay one deductible if both are damaged in the same event.
- Collision waiver. If you’re in a collision with another American National customer, you’ll get a discount or complete waiver of your collision deductible.
- No claims cashback bonus. If you insure both your car and home with American National and don’t file any claims for three consecutive years, you’ll get a check for a percentage of the premiums paid over those three years. Then, get another check every year you’re claim-free after that.
- Bundling discount. Save more when you bundle all three of these policies together: home, auto and life.
- Loyalty discount. Apply for American National insurance before your current policy expires, or stick with American National for several years, and you’ll qualify for a discount.
Pros and cons of American National insurance
- Free perks and cashback. Get rewarded for adding comprehensive and collision to your policy and driving safely for several years in a row.
- Convenient local agents. Work with an insurance agent who can handle all your questions, offering a hassle-free process.
- Online or in-app claims. Get the convenience of filing claims online any time of the day or night or on the go. You can also make payments or access your ID cards from the app.
- Site difficult to navigate. If you’re looking for specific coverage information and descriptions, American National’s website is lacking.
- Mixed customer service information. American National has kept its number of complaints low on reputable sites like the NAIC. But a small number of customer reviews show customers having trouble with the claims process.
Compare alternatives to American National
American National car insurance reviews and complaints
American National isn’t accredited or rated by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), as of October 2020. However, customer reviews on the BBB site gave the company a 1-star rating out of 5 stars, complaining about the mishandling of their claims process and underbidding on settlements. Some customers also reported problems with their insurance policy getting canceled.
You’ll find about 10 customer reviews on the BBB as well as nine complaints in the past three years, as of October 2020. These numbers are low compared to other insurance companies.
American National saw a 0.57 rating on the 2019 National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index. The national average complaint ratio is 1.00, factoring in the number of complaints relative to the company’s size. Overall, we’d prefer to see more customer reviews before giving a final verdict on the company’s customer service.
How to apply for American National insurance coverage
You’ll need to talk to a local agent to apply for coverage. Enter your ZIP code in the Find a Local Agent box on American National’s homepage. A list of agents within a 30-mile radius will pop up on the next page, along with their contact information.
What info do I need to apply?
- The year, make and model of your car
- Your name, address and contact information
- Your driver’s license number
- Information about any additional drivers or vehicles you’d like to put on your policy
How to make a claim with American National
You can file a car insurance claim with American National one of three ways:
- Online. Log in to your American National account with your username and password.
- Phone. Call 800-333-2860 to report a claim 24/7.
- Mobile app. Download and log into the Insured2Go mobile app to file a claim on your smartphone.
Have the following information on hand when filing your claim.
- Your policy number.
- The date, time and location of the accident or incident.
- The names, addresses and phone numbers of registered owners, injured people, occupants of other cars and witnesses.
- Description and license numbers of the other cars involved.
- Photos taken after the accident or incident.
- Police report number, if applicable.
Frequently asked questions about American National
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.