American National car insurance review 2021
Touch base with a local agent for personalized advice, plus find perks like free coverage and cashback rewards.
finder.com's rating: 3.5 / 5
- Get a quote if you want a local agent’s advice.
- Pick something else if you can’t get the coverage or rate you’d like.
- Best rates if you have a history of safe driving or are bundling policies
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|New car protection||No|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
No info available
- Free perks and cashback
- Convenient local agents
- Online or in-app claims
- Site difficult to navigate
- Mixed customer service information
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Claim-free cashback|
Gabrielle Pastorek is the shopping and travel publisher at Finder, helping readers to round up the best deals, coupons, retailers, products and services to make sound financial decisions. She's contributed more than 800 articles to the site and is a quoted expert in Best Company and DealNews. She earned an MFA from the University of Pittsburgh, with essays and short stories published in The Collagist, Blue Monday Review, Blotterature and others. When she’s not writing, Gabrielle can be found out in the barn with her horse, Lucy.
American National works best for drivers looking to insure more than just their car or those with a claim-free history. Its cashback reward for safe drivers is unique in the industry. And you can expect that bonus check to come in every year you’re claim-free after qualifying for the reward.
Also, you can land a substantial discount by bundling auto, life and home insurance. You’ll get a decent list of coverage options with this brand too, though it’s missing a few options available with major companies.
You’ll also find friendly local agents to help you with your questions and coverage needs, a plus if you want that personal interaction. However, if you’re looking for standard car insurance, American National may be on the pricey side compared to other companies.
How to get a free quote for American National car insurance
You’ll need to talk to a local agent to apply for coverage with American National. To get started:
- Enter your ZIP code in the Find a Local Agent box on American National’s homepage.
- A list of agents within a 30-mile radius will pop up on the next page
- Find an agent that lives near you or one that you prefer. Use the contact details listed to call that agent about a quote.
What info do I need to apply?
Gather a few bits of information for your quote, including:
- The year, make and model of your car
- Your name, address and contact information
- Your driver’s license number
- Information about any additional drivers or vehicles you’d like to put on your policy
What discounts can I get with American National?
American National offers a few discounts that you might find rewarding, especially its cashback for staying claim-free. Its savings opportunities include:
- No claims cashback. If you insure both your car and home with American National and don’t file any claims for three consecutive years, you’ll get a check for a percentage of the premiums paid over those three years. Then, get another check every year you’re claim-free after that.
- Bundling discount. Save more when you bundle all three of these policies together: home, auto and life.
- Loyalty discount. Apply for American National insurance before your current policy expires, or stick with American National for several years, and you’ll qualify for a discount.
Free coverage and perks with American National
You can get free coverage if you add both comprehensive and collision coverage to your policy, along with a few other perks.
- Car rental coverage. Covers the cost of a rental car after an accident. If you purchase collision or comprehensive coverage, car rental coverage is included for free.
- Customized equipment. With collision and comprehensive coverage, get up to $2,000 of customized equipment protection to repair or replace aftermarket parts. If you don’t have any customized equipment, American National covers original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts.
- Shared deductible. If you have auto and home insurance with this company, pay one deductible if both are damaged in the same event.
- Collision waiver. If you’re in a collision with another American National customer, you’ll get a discount or complete waiver of your collision deductible.
American National car insurance reviews and complaints
American National isn’t accredited or rated by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), as of 2021. However, customer reviews on the BBB site gave the company a 1- out of 5-star rating. You’ll also find about 17 customer complaints filed with the BBB in the past three years.
Customers complain about the mishandling of their claims process and underbidding on settlements. Some customers also report problems with their insurance policy getting canceled.
That said, American National sees a 0 rating on the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index for individual policies. Since the national average complaint ratio is 1.00, American National’s rating shows that it receives no customer complaints about its car insurance. Most other companies see dozens or even hundreds of complaints each year.
Overall, we’d prefer to see more customer reviews before giving a final verdict on the company’s customer service.
Our star ratings for American National, explained
Finder’s car insurance experts rate American National above average because of its strong finances that back up customer’s claims and its few customer complaints, which suggest customer satisfaction.
American National does score about average for its coverage options and available discounts — you can find more discounts with other companies. These factors pulled down its overall Finder rating.
Compare alternatives to American National
Look at the other car insurance companies available, considering their coverage and features. Then, tap Get quotes when you’re ready to see your customized rate.
What car insurance coverage does American National offer?
American National goes beyond state minimum requirements with its coverage offerings, though it doesn’t list whether it offers rental reimbursement or rideshare coverage.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers the cost of medical bills if you’re in an at-fault accident. Most states require this coverage.
- Property damage liability. Covers the costs of property damages, including vehicles that you’re legally responsible for. Most states require this coverage.
- Collision. If your car is damaged in an accident, collision coverage pays for the cost of repairs. If you have a car loan, your bank probably requires this coverage.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for anything other than collision damage, such as theft, fire or vandalism. Some banks may require comprehensive coverage if you’re making car loan payments.
- Roadside assistance. Add 24/7, 365-day roadside assistance for an additional monthly fee.
- Gap coverage. If your car is totaled but you still owe money on it, gap coverage pays the difference between your outstanding loan balance and the value of your car, up to $10,000.
- New car replacement coverage. You can replace your vehicle with a comparable one if your car is less than one year old with less than 15,000 miles on it. The damage will also have to cost more 25% of the car’s original cost.
- OEM parts. Get coverage for original manufacturer replacement parts for repairs, some personal belongings and unowned trailer coverage. The exact coverage varies based on your state.
Pros and cons of American National insurance
American National helps you get the coverage you need with a few extra perks that give it an edge. But you won’t find many customer ratings to help you get an inside look at its customer service.
- Free perks with comprehensive and collision coverage. Get rewarded for adding comprehensive and collision to your policy with free rental car and custom equipment protection.
- Cashback for safe driving. Get a bonus check after driving safely for several years in a row, plus yearly checks every year you’re claim-free after that.
- Personalized service through local agents. Work with an insurance agent who can handle all your questions, offering a hassle-free process.
- Convenient, in-app claims. Get the convenience of filing claims on the go via its app. You can also make payments or access your insurance ID card from the app.
- Few customer complaints. Though we’d like to see more reviews overall, American National doesn’t see many complaints — and that’s rare for an insurance company.
- Site difficult to navigate. If you’re looking for specific coverage information and descriptions, American National’s website is lacking.
- Needs more customer reviews. We’d love to see more customer ratings to get a better picture of this company’s customer satisfaction.
How to make a claim with American National
You can file a car insurance claim with American National one of three ways:
- Online. Log in to your American National account with your username and password.
- Phone. Call 800-333-2860 to report a claim 24/7.
- Mobile app. Download and log into the Insured2Go mobile app to file a claim on your smartphone.
Have the following information on hand when filing your claim.
- Your policy number.
- The date, time and location of the accident or incident.
- The names, addresses and phone numbers of registered owners, injured people, occupants of other cars and witnesses.
- Description and license numbers of the other cars involved.
- Photos taken after the accident or incident.
- Police report number, if applicable.
Frequently asked questions about American National
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.