American National car insurance review
Do some serious insurance bundling to score the best discounts.
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want local agents and bundling discounts.
- Pick something else if you want online support or extra perks.
- Best rates for drivers who want to bundle life, home and auto insurance
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||No|
- Lots of opportunity to score a discount
- Local agents in all 50 states
- Great customer service
- Site can be difficult to navigate
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Gabrielle Pastorek is a staff writer at finder.com, helping readers round up the best deals, coupons, retailers, products and services to save money and make decisions. She holds an MFA from the University of Pittsburgh, and her essays and short stories can be found in The Collagist, Blue Monday Review, Blotterature and others. When she’s not writing, Gabrielle can be found out in the barn with her horse, Lucy.
If you’d like to bundle your home, auto, life or other types of insurance, American National offers plenty of discount opportunities that could save you in the long run. You’ll also find friendly local agents who provide you with excellent service, according to many raving customers who review the insurer online.
By bundling auto, boat, life and other types of insurance, you can land a pretty substantial discount. However, if you’re just looking for car insurance, American National may be on the pricier side. Still, its stellar customer satisfaction could be worth the price.
What car insurance coverage does American National offer?
American National offers a long list of coverage options that go beyond state minimum requirements.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers the cost of medical bills if you’re found at fault. Most states require this coverage.
- Property damage liability. Covers the costs of property damages, including vehicles, that you’re legally responsible for. Most states require this coverage.
- Collision. If your car is damaged in an accident, collision coverage pays for the cost of repairs. If you have a car loan, your bank probably requires this coverage.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for anything other than collision damage, such as theft, fire or vandalism. Some banks may require comprehensive coverage if you’re making car loan payments.
- Car rental coverage. Covers the cost of a rental car after an accident. If you purchase collision or comprehensive coverage, car rental coverage is included for free.
- Customized equipment. With collision or comprehensive coverage, get up to $2,000 of customized equipment coverage to repair or replace aftermarket parts. If you don’t have any customized equipment, American National covers original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts.
- Roadside assistance. Add 24/7, 365-day roadside assistance for an additional monthly fee.
- Gap coverage. If your car is totaled but you still owe money on it, gap coverage pays the difference between your outstanding loan balance and the value of your car, up to $10,000.
- ACE coverage. If your car is less than one year old, has less than 15,000 miles on it and damages cost more than 25% of its original cost, ACE coverage replaces your vehicle with a comparable one.
What discounts can I get with American National?
American National offers lots of discounts, especially if you’ll be bundling with other types of insurance.
- Common cause of loss. If you have auto and home insurance with this company, pay one deductible if both are damaged in the same event.
- Collision waiver. If you’re in a collision with another American National customer, you’ll get a discount or complete waiver of your collision deductible.
- No claims cashback bonus. If your car and home are both insured by American National and you don’t file any claims for three consecutive years, you’ll get a check for 25% of the total car and home premiums you paid in the past three years. Get a check like this every three years you go without making a claim.
- Three line discount. Save even more when you bundle home, auto and life insurance.
- Fresh start discount. Apply for American National insurance before your current policy expires and qualify for a discount.
Pros and cons of American National insurance
- Lots of discount opportunities. Sign up for home or life insurance on top of your car insurance policy and save.
- Top-rated customer service. Online reviewers rave about the company’s friendly and helpful customer service.
- Convenient local agents. Work with an insurance agent near you for a hassle-free process.
- Site difficult to navigate. If you’re looking for specific information, American National’s website is lacking.
Compare alternatives to American National
What do other customers say about American National?
American National isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but earns an A+ rating. According to other online reviews, the insurance company does a great job handling customer service, regardless of your location. However, its site can be tricky to navigate to find detailed information. Some customers also reported problems canceling their insurance policy.
How to apply for American National insurance coverage
You’ll need to talk to a local agent to apply for coverage. Enter your ZIP code in the Find a Local Agent box on American National’s homepage. A list of agents within a 30-mile radius will pop up on the next page, along with their contact information.
What info do I need to apply?
- The year, make and model of your car
- Your name, address and contact information
- Your driver’s license number
- Information about any additional drivers or vehicles you’d like to put on your policy
How to make a claim with American National
You can file a car insurance claim with American National one of three ways:
- Online. Log in to your American National account with your username and password.
- Phone. Call 800-333-2860 to report a claim 24/7.
- Mobile app. Download and log into the Insured2Go mobile app to file a claim on your smartphone.
Have the following information on hand when filing your claim.
- Your policy number.
- The date, time and location of the accident or incident.
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of registered owners, injured people, occupants of other cars and witnesses.
- Description and license numbers of the other cars involved.
- Photos taken after the accident or incident.
- Police report number, if applicable.
Frequently asked questions about American National
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.