Do some serious insurance bundling to score the best discounts.
- Get a quote if you want local agents and bundling discounts.
- Pick something else if you want online support or extra perks.
- Best rates for drivers who want to bundle life, home and auto insurance
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||No|
- Lots of opportunity to score a discount
- Local agents in all 50 states
- Great customer service
- Site can be difficult to navigate
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage|
Who is American National insurance best for?
Like the name suggests, American National is best for US customers in all 50 states who are looking to insure more than just their car. By bundling auto, boat, life and other types of insurance, you can land a pretty substantial discount. However, if you’re just looking for car insurance, American National may be on the pricier side.
What is American National?
Although it was founded in 1905 as a life insurance company, American National now offers a variety of insurance policies, including auto, boat, renters, homeowners, business and health. Having been around for over a century, American National has earned a reputation for its stellar customer service from its local agents nationwide.
The company is headquartered in Galveston, Texas, and has more than 3,000 employees in four corporate offices throughout the country.
What car insurance coverage does American National offer?
American National offers a long list of coverage options that go beyond state minimum requirements.
- Bodily injury liability. Covers the cost of medical bills if you’re found at fault. Most states require this coverage.
- Property damage liability. Covers the costs of property damages, including vehicles, that you’re legally responsible for. Most states require this coverage.
- Collision. If your car is damaged in an accident, collision coverage pays for the cost of repairs. If you have a car loan, your bank probably requires this coverage.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for anything other than collision damage, such as theft, fire or vandalism. Some banks may require comprehensive coverage if you’re making car loan payments.
- Car rental coverage. Covers the cost of a rental car after an accident. If you purchase collision or comprehensive coverage, car rental coverage is included for free.
- Customized equipment. With collision or comprehensive coverage, get up to $2,000 of customized equipment coverage to repair or replace aftermarket parts. If you don’t have any customized equipment, American National covers original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts.
- Roadside assistance. Add 24/7, 365-day roadside assistance for an additional monthly fee.
- Gap coverage. If your car is totaled but you still owe money on it, gap coverage pays the difference between your outstanding loan balance and the value of your car, up to $10,000.
- ACE coverage. If your car is less than one year old, has less than 15,000 miles on it and damages cost more than 25% of its original cost, ACE coverage replaces your vehicle with a comparable one.
American National car insurance rates
Your exact rates with American National depend on factors like the make and model of your car, your driving record, age, gender, marital status and location. If you’re planning on bundling your car insurance with other types of insurance, deep discounts could save you in the long run. On the other hand, if you’re strictly shopping for car insurance, American National might be more expensive than other national brands.
What discounts can I get with American National?
American National offers lots of discounts, especially if you’ll be bundling with other types of insurance.
- Common cause of loss. If you have auto and home insurance with this company, pay one deductible if both are damaged in the same event.
- Collision waiver. If you’re in a collision with another American National customer, you’ll get a discount or complete waiver of your collision deductible.
- No claims cashback bonus. If your car and home are both insured by American National and you don’t file any claims for three consecutive years, you’ll get a check for 25% of the total car and home premiums you paid in the past three years. Get a check like this every three years you go without making a claim.
- Three line discount. Save even more when you bundle home, auto and life insurance.
- Fresh start discount. Apply for American National insurance before your current policy expires and qualify for a discount.
What’s not covered by American National?
American National may not cover every make and model in your location. For more information about whether or not your vehicle is eligible for coverage, contact a local agent.
Pros and cons of American National insurance
- Lots of discount opportunities. Sign up for home or life insurance on top of your car insurance policy and save.
- Top-rated customer service. Online reviewers rave about the company’s friendly and helpful customer service.
- Convenient local agents. Work with an insurance agent near you for a hassle-free process.
- Site difficult to navigate. If you’re looking for specific information, American National’s website is lacking.
What do other customers say about American National?
American National isn’t accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but earns an A+ rating. According to other online reviews, the insurance company does a great job handling customer service, regardless of your location. However, its site can be tricky to navigate to find detailed information. Some customers also reported problems canceling their insurance policy.
How to apply for American National insurance coverage
You’ll need to talk to a local agent to apply for coverage. Enter your ZIP code in the Find a Local Agent box on American National’s homepage. A list of agents within a 30-mile radius will pop up on the next page, along with their contact information.
What info do I need to apply?
- The year, make and model of your car
- Your name, address and contact information
- Your driver’s license number
- Information about any additional drivers or vehicles you’d like to put on your policy
How to make a claim with American National
You can file a car insurance claim with American National one of three ways:
- Online. Log in to your American National account with your username and password.
- Phone. Call 800-333-2860 to report a claim 24/7.
- Mobile app. Download and log into the Insured2Go mobile app to file a claim on your smartphone.
Have the following information on hand when filing your claim.
- Your policy number.
- The date, time and location of the accident or incident.
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of registered owners, injured people, occupants of other cars and witnesses.
- Description and license numbers of the other cars involved.
- Photos taken after the accident or incident.
- Police report number, if applicable.
Does American National offer other types of insurance?
Yes, American National offers a variety of insurance policies other than auto insurance.
- Boat and RV
- Collector car
- Commercial car
What are some alternatives to American National car insurance?
If you’re looking for a national insurance company with affordable rates and discount opportunities but American National doesn’t seem right for you, try other big brands like Geico, Allstate or Nationwide. These companies are known for offering a range of coverage options so you can find the best value for your budget.
Compare car insurance providers
If you’d like to bundle your home, auto, life or other types of insurance, American National offers lots of discount opportunities that could save you in the long run. But if you’re just looking to insure your car, compare other car insurance companies to make sure you’re getting the most bang for your buck.