Alta prepaid card review
A low-fee prepaid card that lets you spend, save and budget wisely — all in one place.
The Alta prepaid card offers built-in budgeting tools, early paydays and an optional savings account that earns up to 1% APY. It’s also less expensive than other prepaid cards — double win! But it doesn’t accept cash deposits, and you’ll need to download the mobile app to access most of its features.
Monthly maintenance fee
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
The Alta prepaid card is best for those who don’t qualify for a traditional bank account and are looking for a low-fee prepaid card to help them budget, save and stay on track financially.
You can link all your bank accounts to the Alta mobile app, then track all your spending in one place. You also get access to early paydays and an optional high yield savings account that earns 1% interest as long as you maintain a minimum $100 balance.
And as with most prepaid cards, Alta requires no credit check and has no overdraft fees. Its standout feature is that it also has no monthly fees — which is a breath of fresh air considering most prepaid cards cost at least $4 a month.
But most of its features are built into the mobile app, so you’ll need to use it as your primary means to budgeting and saving. It also doesn’t accept cash deposits, which is unusual considering most prepaid cards let you deposit cash at a Green Dot location. Overall, these aren’t total dealbreakers, but you’ll want to be aware of these drawbacks before opening an account.
How do I get the Alta prepaid card?
Request your Alta prepaid card using these steps.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the provider site and select Enroll Today.
- Enter your name and select Continue.
- Enter your username and email address and select Continue.
- Enter your home address and phone number and select Continue.
- Enter your date of birth and select Continue.
- Review and agree to the disclosures and select Continue.
- Enter your Social Security or Taxpayer Identification Number and select Continue.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to finish your application.
Get an Alta prepaid card when you meet these requirements.
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- US home address
- Valid Social Security number or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
You’ll need this information when you request your card.
- Full name
- Date of birth
- US residential address
- Social Security number or Taxpayer Identification Number
- Government-issued photo ID number
What you’ll like about the Alta prepaid card
As with most prepaid cards, Alta has no credit check or overdraft fees. You’ll also enjoy access to 40,000 ATMs across the country and these benefits.
- No monthly fee. Most prepaid cards have non-waivable fees of $4 or more. But Alta doesn’t have any monthly fees or minimum balance requirements.
- Budgeting tools. Use Alta’s built-in budgeting tool to track your spending and set savings goals.
- Optional savings account. Get access to an optional savings account that earns 1% APY when you maintain a minimum $100 balance.
What to watch out for
The Alta prepaid card is a great option for anyone looking to budget and save, but it has a few drawbacks to be aware of.
- Must download the app. You can access basic account features in a web browser, but you’ll need to download the app to access all of its services.
- Maximum card limit. You can’t have more than $10,000 on your Alta prepaid card at any one time.
- No cash deposits. Most prepaid cards let you deposit cash at any Green Dot location, but Alta doesn’t have this feature.
- Miscellaneous fees. Alta has fewer fees than most prepaid cards, but there are still a few to watch out for. The secondary card, replacement card and paper statement fees are all higher than normal.
|Non-network ATM withdrawal||$2.50|
|International ATM withdrawal||$4.50|
|Stop payment fee||$25|
|Paper statement request||$20|
If you’re looking for a prepaid card that accepts cash deposits, compare your options.
Is the Alta prepaid card safe?Alta is a prepaid Mastercard, which means it comes with the same fraud and liability protection as any other Mastercard credit or debit card. Up to $250,000 of your funds are FDIC-insured through the issuer Sunrise Banks N.A. So you’ll get your money back if Alta were to close for some reason.
Alta prepaid card reviews and complaints
The Alta prepaid card is a fairly new product as of March 2021, so it doesn’t have any reviews on the Better Business Bureau, Trustpilot or Reddit. However, the Alta app has a 4.6 out of 5-star rating based on nine reviews in the Apple App Store and a perfect 5-star rating on the Google Play Store based on two reviews.
Reviewers love Alta’s responsive and friendly customer service. They also say the application process is easy and fast, and the mobile app has tons of features they’ll use every day. Customers especially love the built-in tools to help them budget their income and save money.
Compare Alta with other prepaid cards
Use this interactive table to see how Alta compares to other prepaid cards on the market.
How long will it take to get my card?
You’ll get your Alta prepaid card in the mail within 10 business days of applying.
I got the card. Now what?
After you’ve activated your Alta prepaid card, get the most out of it using these tips.
- Link your bank accounts. Link all your bank accounts to Alta, so you can track your spending in one place. Set spending limits and get notified when you reach them.
- Set up your budget. Use the Alta mobile app to plan your spending and saving goals.
- Add it to your mobile wallet. Alta works with Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay, allowing you to add it to your mobile wallet for contactless payments.
- Review the fee schedule. The Alta prepaid card has fewer fees than other prepaid cards, but you’ll still want to review the fee schedule to keep charges to a minimum.
There are several ways to add money to your Alta prepaid card.
- Direct deposits
- Remote check deposit through the mobile app
- Person-to-person payments
- ACH transfer
- Transfer to another Alta account
- Transfer to an external account
How can I contact Alta?Alta customer service is available 24/7, excluding holidays.
- Phone: 866-266-1909
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org