Allianz car insurance review
Get insurance for classic cars, business fleets or international roadtrips.
- Get a quote if you have a luxury, classic or business car or want international coverage.
- Pick something else if you want the best rates and discounts.
- Ideal for fleet managers and bundling policies
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Claims methods||online, email|
|New car protection||No|
- Specialized insurance plans
- Strong history in financial services
- Integrated travel insurance options
- Limited customer base
- Complaints of poor customer service
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Who is Allianz insurance best for?
Allianz car insurance is best for travelers, businesses and owners of luxury and classic cars. In the past few years, Allianz has downsized the number of auto insurance policies it holds, selling some of its luxury car policies to Chubb, another insurance company known for insuring high-end vehicles. However, Allianz does still write some auto insurance policies.
What is Allianz?
Allianz was founded in Berlin, Germany in 1890 as a financial services group providing marine and accident insurance policies to residents of Germany. Just three years later, the company opened its first international office in London, where it offered insurance to Germans traveling or living abroad.
Since then, the company has expanded throughout the world and now offers fire, home, auto, life and liability insurance to customers around the world.[/fin_hide]
What car insurance coverage does Allianz offer?
Allianz now primarily insures luxury or classic cars and fleets of business vehicles, providing plenty of coverage options for these niche drivers.
- Bodily injury liability. Required in most states, covers medical and funeral expenses for an accident you’re legally responsible for.
- Property damage liability. Covers the costs of property damages, including vehicles, that you’re legally responsible for — required in most states.
- Collision. If your car is damaged in an accident, collision coverage pays for the cost of repairs. If you have a car loan, your bank probably requires this coverage.
- Comprehensive. Coverage for anything other than collision damage, such as theft, fire or vandalism. Some banks may require comprehensive coverage if you’re making car loan payments.
- Travel insurance coverage. This add-on coverage keeps you covered while traveling abroad.
- Agreed value coverage. If you have a classic car that’s worth more to a collector than its value, you and your agent can agree upon its insurance value and create your policy.
Pros and cons of Allianz insurance
- Specialized insurance plans. Allianz offers special insurance coverage options for luxury and classic cars that other companies might offer.
- Worldwide experience. Allianz has a long history of providing financial services to customers around the world.
- Travel insurance options. Stay covered when you travel abroad by bundling travel and car insurance when renting a car abroad.
- Limited customer base. Allianz only offers car insurance to select drivers of luxury or classic cars or business owners with large fleets.
- Limited coverage. Allianz specializes in car insurance for luxury and classic cars, so you might not be able to get coverage for your midrange daily driver or you might be turned over to Chubb.
- Poor online reviews. Despite its A+ rating with the BBB, Allianz has lots of negative online reviews.
Compare alternatives to Allianz
What do customers say about Allianz?
Allianz is an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and holds an A+ rating. However, as of July 2018, 95 out of its 111 comments are negative. Some of the top complaints about Allianz insurance have to do with poor customer service, slow claims service and hassles and issues when filing a claim. On the other hand, many Allianz customers have been very happy with their travel insurance options.
When reading online reviews, consider that many customers won’t leave a review unless they had an exceptionally poor experience.
How to apply for Allianz car insurance
Contact a US-based Allianz insurance agent to apply for insurance coverage or find an agent near you.
- Call 800-227-1700
- Email AGCSCommunication@agcs.allianz.com
What info do I need to apply?
Usually, you’ll need to have the following information ready.
- Contact information, such as your name and address
- Your car’s VIN or the make, model and trim of the car you’d like to insure
- Information for any drivers you’d like to add to your policy
How to make a claim with Allianz
To file a car insurance claim with Allianz, log into your account through its online portal or get in touch with Terry Campbell, the US claims team leader:
- Call 646-472-1481
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Have the following information on hand when filing your claim.
- Your policy number
- The date, time and location of the accident or incident
- The names, addresses and telephone numbers of registered owners, injured people, occupants of other cars and witnesses
- Description and license numbers of the other cars involved
- Photos taken after the accident or incident
- Police report number, if applicable
Allianz offers auto insurance for a select group of drivers and vehicles, but it could be a good option if you have an expensive car you’d like to insure that other companies won’t touch. However, some customers have reported problems with poor customer service and a difficult claims process.
If Allianz doesn’t seem like the right fit for you, compare other car insurance companies to find the best option for your needs.