Hawaii and California car insurance with multiple ways to save on coverage
21st Century specializes in providing no-frills private passenger auto insurance to drivers in the states of California and Hawaii, making it best for those looking for affordable car insurance. It offers a handful of discounts and special programs on its bare bones policies, making it one of the more affordable providers around.
|Name||21st Century Car Insurance|
|Description||While 21st Century's auto insurance is very limited by its availability, it's an established option for auto coverage in California and Hawaii backed by national insurance giant Farmers Insurance.|
- Discounts available
- Digital convenience with mobile app
- Backed by Farmers Insurance
- Available in California and Hawaii only
- Customer satisfaction is below average
- Six-month policies only
What is 21st Century?
Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, 21st Century is an insurance provider that offers auto insurance coverage in California and Hawaii. It’s part of a larger network through its parent company, Farmers Insurance. Its affiliates offer other products that include home, flood and life insurance, along with coverage for specific automobiles that 21st Century does not offer.
This small provider, originally named 20th Century Insurance, has been operating since 1958. It changed hands twice in recent years. First becoming a part of AIG in 2005 and then to Farmers Insurance Group in 2009 for $1.9 billion in an effort to help pay down AIG’s debt from the federal government bailout.
What coverage options does 21st Century offer?
21st Century offers full-coverage auto insurance to residents of California and Hawaii.
- Liability protection. Pays for property and bodily damages that result from an accident you’ve caused.
- Collision and comprehensive damage. Pays for damages to your car caused by other cars or objects, fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection.Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization and even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed in a car accident, no matter who’s at fault.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages or injuries to you and your passengers resulting from a hit-and-run accident or an uninsured driver, including medical expenses and lost wages.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Bridges the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
- Towing and labor coverage. You’re covered if your car needs a tow.
- Rental car reimbursement. Get coverage for a rental car while yours is in the shop.
- SR-22 Insurance. An SR-22 is a certificate of insurance that is often required after major driving infractions. This provider does offer SR-22 forms, and you can speak with an agent for more details.
Discounts offered by 21st Century
21st Century offers a number of discounts on its car insurance policies, though they vary from state to state. Here are a few of the many special programs it offers.
- Multi-car discount. Insuring multiple vehicles under the same policyholder can save up to 30%
- Good student discount. Students under the age of 25 can receive discounts for maintaining good grades.
- Safe driver discount. Maintaining a clean driving record can get you better rates at 21st Century
- Automobile Safety Feature Discounts. Receive 5% discounts for having an anti-theft system or anti-lock brakes installed.
- Driver training discount. Up to 10% may be awarded to drivers under 21 who complete a state-approved driver training course
Does 21st Century offer any special programs?
While 21st Century’s auto insurance may be no-frills, the provider does offer a number of special programs to cater to the needs of its customers.
- Roadside assistance. This provider offers a hotline customers can use to receive immediate roadside assistance.
- Direct appraisal.Visit any repair shop you like. 21st century can recommend a shop in your area if you’d like, and all repairwork is guaranteed for life.
- eSignature. Easily sign forms and documents online using an eSignature without the need to mail in documents.
- HelpPoint. Claims go through a network of 12,500 claims professionals for straightforward service.
- Mobile app. The 21st Century mobile app lets you pay bills, use roadside services and get access to helpful videos and articles on auto insurance.
What won’t 21st century car insurance cover?
21st Century offers protection against a handful of incidents, but not everything is covered. Here are a few of 21st Century’a exclusions.
- Extended car warranties
- Non-owner auto insurance policies
- Fleet vehicle policies
Pros and cons
- Multiple discounts available. Get a break on your premiums with a clean driving record, multiple policies and more.
- Digital convenience. Its mobile app makes it easy to make claims, pay bills, view your account and even request roadside assistance.
- Backed by Farmers Insurance. While 21st Century is a relatively small company on its own — with about 2,000 agents, it’s part of the Farmers Insurance Group that employs more than 50,000 agents across the nation.
- Limited availability. 21st Century car insurance isn’t available outside California or Hawaii.
- Customer satisfaction. This provider ranked below average for customer service and satisfaction across multiple review sites.
- Six-month policies only. If you’re looking for a policy that renews annually, you won’t find it with this provider.
What do customers say about 21st Century?
Ratings are average or slightly below average for this provider. 21st Century isn’t rated on Trustpilot and The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives it an A+ rating, though its customer reviews score is only 3.68 of 5 stars. Some common customer complaints are difficulty with customer service, unfair cancellation fees, and slow claim payment process. While these kinds of complaints aren’t uncommon in the insurance industry, 21st Century shows below-average marks in customer satisfaction.
A note about customer reviewsConsumer ratings and reviews can give valuable insight into what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but they rarely tell the whole story. Remember that customers don’t usually rate something unless they want to rant, which is why organizations like the BBB provide independent assessments alongside reviews from the public.
How to apply for 21st Century auto insurance
You can apply for auto insurance coverage with 21st Century on the website or by phone. With all of your documents and information on hand, you should be able to get coverage in under an hour.
- Visit the provider’s home page.
- Fill in your postal code and click start your quote.
- Fill out your personal information, vehicle details, and driver details.
- If you’re satisfied with your quote, fill in your information to purchase your policy.
Call 1-888-535-9410 and speak with an agent.
What do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth, gender
- Address including zip code
- Social security number
- Drivers license
- Vehicle registration
- Financial information
How do I file a claim with 21st century?
You can file a claim with 21st Century online or by phone at 1-888-244-6163. Here’s how to file a claim online.
- Visit the provider’s home page.
- Scroll down to “Claims and Service” on the right side, and click “Visit Claims Center.”
- Login, lookup a policy by number, or continue as a guest.
- Click “Let’s get your claim started.”
- Follow the steps to complete your claim. Live chat is available for assistance at any time.
How do I contact 21st Century Insurance?
You can get in touch with 21st Century Insurance by live chat, email, phone, mail and fax.
- For auto insurance quotes: 1-877-310-5687
- Assistance with auto insurance: 1-877-401-8181
- Claims information: 1-888-244-6163
- 21st Roadside Assistance: 1-800-439-5587
What other kinds of coverage can I get?
21st Century offers a number of different types of other insurance coverage.
- Home insurance
- Motorcycle or boat coverage through its affiliates
- Life and flood insurance through its affiliates
What other insurance providers are similar to 21st Century?
If you like what 21st Century has to offer but still want to explore some similar options or need a similar option available in your state, these other nationwide providers might be worth looking into.
- Geico. Geico tends to be the cheapest among mid-range insurance providers for most average drivers, and also ranks above average for customer satisfaction. For customers who prioritize price above all else, Geico may be a top option.
- Progressive. This provider is known for having a massive range of policies and product options available, which might allow you to find something more closely tailored to your needs.
- State Farm. While State Farm tends to score below the other options in this list for customer satisfaction, it’s an established provider with a lot of ways to help customers save on their premiums.
21st Century prides itself on its quick online claims process, but its no-frills policies might not meet you needs. With coverage limited to California and Hawaii, you may want to compare your options through our comprehensive car insurance guide.