Hawaii and California car insurance with multiple ways to save on coverage
Car insurance providers claim to have the most competitive rates, the most options and the best coverage. But every provider is different, and there’s almost always one that stands out once you analyze your priorities and needs. Read on to learn more about 21st Century’s policy offerings, and see if it’s what you’re looking for.
What is 21st Century?
21st Century is an established insurance provider. It’s part of a larger network through its parent company, Farmers Insurance. Its affiliates offer other products that include home, flood and life insurance.
This small provider, originally named 20th Century Insurance, has been operating since 1958. It changed hands twice in recent years, first becoming a part of AIG in 2005 and then the Farmers Insurance Group in 2009. 21st Century specializes in providing private passenger auto insurance to drivers in the states of California and Hawaii.
What auto insurance does 21st Century offer?
21st Century offers full-coverage auto insurance to residents of California and Hawaii.
- Liability protection. Pays for property and bodily damages that result from an accident you’ve caused.
- Collision and comprehensive damage. Pays for damages to your car caused by other cars or objects, fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Personal injury protection.Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization and even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed in a car accident, no matter who’s at fault.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages or injuries to you and your passengers resulting from a hit-and-run accident or an uninsured driver, including medical expenses and lost wages.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Bridges the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
- Towing and labor coverage. You’re covered if your car needs a tow.
- Rental car reimbursement. Get coverage for a rental car car while yours is in the shop.
What other kinds of coverage can I get?
You can get home insurance, motorcycle or boat coverage as well as life and flood insurance through this provider and its affiliates.
What do customers say about 21st Century?
Ratings are average or slightly below average for this provider. 21st Century isn’t rated on Trustpilot and The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives it an A+ rating. Though its customer reviews score only a 3.68 of 5 stars. Some common customer complaints are difficulty with customer service, unfair cancellation fees and slow claim payment process. While these kinds of complaints aren’t uncommon in the insurance industry, 21st Century shows below-average marks in customer satisfaction.
A note about customer reviewsConsumer ratings and reviews can give valuable insight into what it’s like to deal with a company as a customer, but they rarely tell the whole story. Remember that customers don’t usually rate something unless they want to rant, which is why organizations like the BBB provide an independent assessments alongside reviews from the public.
Pros and cons
- Discounts available. Get a break on your premiums with a clean driving record, multiple policies and more.
- Digital convenience. Its mobile app makes it easy to make claims, pay bills, view your account and even request roadside assistance.
- Backed by Farmers Insurance. While 21st Century is a relatively small company on its own — with about 2,000 agents, it’s part of the Farmers Insurance Group that employs more than 50,000 agents across the nation.
- Limited availability. 21st Century car insurance isn’t available outside California or Hawaii.
- Customer satisfaction. This provider ranked below average for customer service and satisfaction across multiple review sites.
- Six-month policies only. If you’re looking for a policy that renews annually, you won’t find it with this provider.
21st Century prides itself on its quick online claims process, but its no-frills policies might not meet you needs. With coverage limited to California and Hawaii, you may want to compare your options through our comprehensive car insurance guide.