21st Century car insurance review
Affordable car insurance for California drivers.
finder.com’s rating: 3.5 / 5.0
- Get a quote if you want cheap rates for a no-frills auto insurance policy.
- Pick something else if you don’t live in California or want more features.
- Drivers with a history of accidents or claims or who need an SR-22 can get coverage.
New car protection
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|New car protection||No|
- Discounts available
- Digital convenience with mobile app
- Backed by Farmers Insurance
- Available in California only
- Customer satisfaction is below average
- Six-month policies only
|Anti-theft device discount||Yes|
|Defensive driving discount||Yes|
|Good student discount||Yes|
|Safety device discount||Yes|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||California based discount, get special discount if you live in Californa|
|Temporary & short term coverage||No|
Roslyn McKenna is an insurance publisher for finder.com, where she's driven to help people get a great deal on car, life, home and other insurance to protect their families and finances. Roslyn earned a Bachelor of Arts in writing and communications from Maryville College and has written professionally for more than a decade on topics ranging from technology and pets to finance and insurance.
Headquartered in Wilmington, Delaware, 21st Century is an insurance provider that has offered auto insurance coverage in California since 1958. It’s part of a larger network through its parent company, Farmers Insurance, which lends it a stronger financial backing.
21st Century prides itself on a quick claims process that you can manage through its mobile app, among other app-based services. But as an insurer that accepts high-risk drivers, its no-frills policies don’t cover much outside the basics like comprehensive, collision and roadside assistance. You may want to compare your options elsewhere, unless you need SR-22 insurance in California.
What car insurance coverage can I get with 21st Century?
21st Century offers full-coverage auto insurance to residents of California.
- Collision and comprehensive damage. Pays for damages to your car caused by other cars or objects, fire, flooding, hail, theft or vandalism.
- Liability protection. Pays for property and bodily damages that result from an accident you’ve caused.
- Personal injury protection. Covers the cost of doctors, hospitalization and even funerals if you or a passenger is injured or killed in a car accident, no matter who’s at fault.
- Rental car reimbursement. Get coverage for a rental car while yours is in the shop for more than a day.
- SR-22 insurance. An SR-22 certificate of insurance is often required after major driving infractions, and 21st Century can help you file for one.
- Towing and labor coverage. You’re covered if your car needs a tow.
- Uninsured motorists coverage. Pays for damages or injuries to you and your passengers resulting from a hit-and-run accident or an uninsured driver, including medical expenses and lost wages.
- Underinsured motorists coverage. Bridges the gap between someone else’s policy limits and the actual cost of your medical expenses after an accident.
What extra benefits and add-ons does 21st Century offer?
While 21st Century’s auto insurance may be no-frills, the provider does offer a number of special programs to cater to the needs of its customers.
- Easy claims. Claims go through a network of 12,500 claims professionals for straightforward service.
- Direct appraisal. Visit your preferred repair shop, or 21st Century can recommend a shop in your area — and all repair work is guaranteed for life.
- Mobile app. The 21st Century mobile app lets you pay bills, use roadside services and get access to helpful videos and articles on auto insurance.
- Online signature. Sign forms and documents online using an electronic signature without the need to mail in or fax documents.
- Roadside assistance. This provider offers free roadside help with a hotline customers can use to receive immediate assistance.
What discounts can I get with 21st Century?
21st Century offers a number of discounts on its car insurance policies. Here are a few of the many programs it offers.
- Antitheft. Receive an average discount of 15% for having an approved antitheft system installed.
- Driver training. You can get up to 10% off your premium if you’re under 21 and complete a state-approved driver training course.
- Good driver. Save 20% or more by keeping a clean driving record for three years. The discount can grow the longer you go without racking up points.
- Good student. Students under the age of 25 can receive an average of 15% off for maintaining a B average or better.
- Mature driver. If you’re 55 or older and complete an approved defensive driving course, you could qualify for a discount of around 2%.
- Multicar. Snag this discount by insuring multiple vehicles or drivers under the same policy.
Pros and cons of 21st Century car insurance
- Multiple discounts available. Get a break on your premiums with a clean driving record, multiple policies and more.
- Digital convenience. Its mobile app makes it easy to make claims, pay bills, view your account and even request roadside assistance.
- SR-22 available. Getting insured after a major moving violation can be difficult, especially a DUI or DWI. But 21st Century can help.
- Backed by Farmers Insurance. While 21st Century is a relatively small company on its own, it’s part of the Farmers Insurance Group that employs more than 50,000 agents across the nation.
- Limited availability. 21st Century car insurance isn’t available outside California.
- Customer satisfaction. This provider ranked below average for customer service and satisfaction across multiple review sites.
- Six-month policies only. If you’re looking for a policy that renews annually, you won’t find it with this provider.
How to apply for 21st Century car insurance
You can apply for auto insurance coverage with 21st Century on the website or by phone. With all of your documents and information on hand, you should be able to get coverage in under an hour.
- Visit the 21st Century home page.
- Fill in your ZIP code and click Start your quote.
- Fill out your personal information, vehicle details and driver details.
- If you’re satisfied with your quote, fill in your information to purchase your policy.
Call 888-535-9410 and speak with an agent.
What do I need to apply?
- Personal information including first and last name, date of birth and gender
- Address including ZIP code
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license
- Vehicle registration
- Financial information
What do customers say about 21st Century?
Ratings are average or slightly below average for this provider. 21st Century isn’t rated on Trustpilot and The Better Business Bureau (BBB) gives it an A+ rating, though its customer reviews score is only 3.68 out of 5 stars.
Some common customer complaints include difficulty with customer service, unfair cancellation fees and slow claim payment process. Other customers report having their policy dropped without sufficient notice for late policy payments. While these kinds of complaints aren’t uncommon in the insurance industry, 21st Century shows below average marks in customer satisfaction overall.
How to contact 21st Century
You can get in touch with 21st Century Insurance by live chat, email, phone, mail and fax.
- For auto insurance quotes: 877-310-5687
- Assistance with auto insurance: 877-401-8181
- Claims information: 888-244-6163
- 21st Roadside Assistance: 800-439-5587
Compare alternatives to 21st Century
Frequently asked questions about 21st Century
Car insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our insurance team analyzes car insurance providers to help you choose the best car insurance for you.
We rank insurers from one to five stars based on key factors including customer satisfaction, policy options, price, billing, claims, and support. We create these rankings to help you narrow down an insurance provider that best suits your budget and coverage needs.