Adrienne Fuller is the head of publishing at Finder. With a decade of experience creating guides in finance and education, she aims to deliver the accurate and transparent information she wishes she had when she made some of life's important financial decisions. For the past 3 years she has been the publisher of money transfers, helping readers save when they send money all over the globe. She has a BA from Colorado College and loves to hike with her two Catahoula dogs around her home in San Diego.
US Dollar to Romanian Leu Exchange Rate
Refreshing in: 60s | Mon, Oct 14, 05:44PM GMT
- Cheap transfers
- Bank-beating exchange rates
- Safe and reliable
Our pick: TransferWise
When you need to send money, benefit from competitive mid-market exchange rates and straightforward fees with TransferWise.
- Fair service fees and mid-market rates — a major market differentiator.
- Next-day delivery to your loved ones and businesses.
- Trusted the world over, with five-star ratings on Trustpilot.
How can I get the best exchange rate between the US dollar and the Romanian leu?
The most popular Romanian leu currency exchange is the euro followed by the US dollar. If you’re traveling to Romania, having cash in hand is recommended. Although euros may be accepted at some hotels, you’ll need leu for most other purchases. To get a competitive exchange rate, you can:
- Get cash at a local ATM with a travel friendly card that has low fees
- Bring US dollars in cash and exchange them at a foreign exchange booth in the capital of Bucharest
People looking to wire money should use an online money transfer service to get best exchange rate and lowest service fees.
|Bank notes:||$1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100|
|Coins:||1c, 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c|
|Bank notes:||1 leu, 5, 10, 50, 100, 200, 500 lei|
|Coins:||1 ban, 5, 10, 50 bani|
What affects exchange rates between the US dollar and the Romanian leu?
Since the Romanian leu uses the euro as its reference currency, the exchange rate between the leu and dollar is heavily influenced by the exchange rate between USD and EUR. The following factors dealing with Romania also influence the exchange rate:
- Economic growth
- Interest rates
The Romanian government’s efforts to make the leu more stable against the euro in order to be adopted into the euro zone can affect the exchange rate between the leu and the dollar as well.
Send money from USD to RON
How does the Romanian leu trade against the US dollar historically?
Overall, the Romanian leu has depreciated by nearly 50 percent against the US dollar between early 2008 and early 2018
- In 2003, the National Bank of Romania changed the reference currency to the euro from the US dollar in an attempt to gain euro zone membership in the future. Partly because of this, RON has been quite volatile against USD over the past decade, fluctuating between 2.22 lei per dollar and 4.38 lei per dollar.
- Since March 2017, the Romanian leu has again strengthened against the US dollar, moving from 4.30 lei per dollar in March 2017 to 3.72 lei per dollar in February of 2018.
US Dollar to the Romanian Leu for the last 10 days
|Oct 04||Oct 05||Oct 06||Oct 07||Oct 08||Oct 09||Oct 10||Oct 11||Oct 12||Oct 13|
|1 USD =||4.3242 Inverse: 0.2313||4.3241 Inverse: 0.2313||4.3239 Inverse: 0.2313||4.3253 Inverse: 0.2312||4.3348 Inverse: 0.2307||4.3233 Inverse: 0.2313||4.3236 Inverse: 0.2313||4.3079 Inverse: 0.2321||4.3079 Inverse: 0.2321||4.3079 Inverse: 0.2321|
US Dollar to the Romanian Leu for the last 10 months
|Dec 2018||Jan 2019||Feb 2019||Mar 2019||Apr 2019||May 2019||Jun 2019||Jul 2019||Aug 2019||Sep 2019|
|1 USD =||4.0930 Inverse: 0.2443||4.0806 Inverse: 0.2451||4.2129 Inverse: 0.2374||4.2007 Inverse: 0.2381||4.2177 Inverse: 0.2371||4.2670 Inverse: 0.2344||4.2070 Inverse: 0.2377||4.2028 Inverse: 0.2379||4.2614 Inverse: 0.2347||4.3005 Inverse: 0.2325|
US Dollar to the Romanian Leu for the last 10 years
|Oct 2009||Oct 2010||Oct 2011||Oct 2012||Oct 2013||Oct 2014||Oct 2015||Oct 2016||Oct 2017||Oct 2018|
|1 USD =||2.8890 Inverse: 0.3461||3.0639 Inverse: 0.3264||3.1477 Inverse: 0.3177||3.5241 Inverse: 0.2838||3.2866 Inverse: 0.3043||3.4867 Inverse: 0.2868||3.8859 Inverse: 0.2573||4.0487 Inverse: 0.2470||3.8648 Inverse: 0.2587||4.0251 Inverse: 0.2484|
Market rate for common transfer amounts USD to RON
|US Dollars (USD)||Romanian Leu (RON)|
Ask an Expert