Adrienne Fuller is the head of publishing at Finder. With a decade of experience creating guides in finance and education, she aims to deliver the accurate and transparent information she wishes she had when she made some of life's important financial decisions. For the past 3 years she has been the publisher of money transfers, helping readers save when they send money all over the globe. She has a BA from Colorado College and loves to hike with her two Catahoula dogs around her home in San Diego.
US Dollar to Gambian Dalasi Exchange Rate
Refreshing in: 60s | Fri, Feb 21, 04:35AM GMT
- Cheap transfers
- Bank-beating exchange rates
- Safe and reliable
Our pick: WorldRemit International Money Transfers
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Get the best exchange rate between the US dollar and Gambian dalasi?
To get the best exchange rate between the US dollar and Gambian dalasi you need to be aware of what the mid-market exchange rate is.
When sending money to Gambia, or perhaps making a purchase in the country, online money transfer services are often the most efficient option because:
- Exchange rates are much closer to the mid-market rate when compared to traditional banks
- Transaction is generally processed faster
- Fees are low and competitive
Travelers to Ghana should bring US dollars in cash and exchange currencies once in the country. There are several foreign exchange bureaus in the capital city that’ll gladly accept US dollars for Gambian dalasi.
|Bank notes:||$1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100|
|Coins:||1c, 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c|
|Bank notes:||5, 10, 20, 25, 50, 100, 200 dalasis|
|Coins:||1, 5, 10, 25, 50 bututs, 1 dalasi|
What affects exchange rates between the US dollar and the Gambian dalasi?
The exchange rate between the Gambian dalasi and the US dollar is currently managed by the Gambian Central Bank and isn’t affected by any external factors. However, a problem for Gambian authorities is that they’re spending huge amounts of foreign currency reserves to maintain the peg.
The central bank would longer be able to maintain the currency peg and could be forced to either devalue the currency or scrap the peg policy altogether if the economic situation in Gambia worsened by any drastic changes in the following:
- Interest rates in either country
- Balance of trade between the two countries
- Employment levels and economic developments in Gambia
- Sharp fluctuations in the value of the US dollar against other major currencies
Send money from USD to GMD
How does the Gambian dalasi trade against the US dollar historically?
Several different peg policies have been in place over the years to try to control the sharp fluctuations in the value of the dalasi compared to the US dollar and other currencies. In 2013, the Gambian government also introduced strict controls on foreign currency exchange, leading to a sharp drop in the value of the dalasi compared to the US dollar.
- Since 2008, the value of the Gambian dalasi has been in continuous decline compared to the US dollar. From a high during the financial crisis in 2008 of about 20 dalasi to 1 dollar, the value quickly dropped to 26 per dollar in the beginning of 2009.
- Between 2009 and 2011, the exchange rate between the dalasi and dollar remained relatively stable at around 26 dalasi per dollar.
- At the end of 2011, a new and long period of decline for the dalasi started when the dalasi moved from a value of about 26 per dollar to almost 45 per dollar in 2014. During these years, the exchange rate of the dalasi was also subject to several government-initiated revaluations.
US Dollar to the Gambian Dalasi for the last 10 days
|Feb 11||Feb 12||Feb 13||Feb 14||Feb 15||Feb 16||Feb 17||Feb 18||Feb 19||Feb 20|
|1 USD =||51.1200 Inverse: 0.0196||51.1200 Inverse: 0.0196||51.0600 Inverse: 0.0196||51.1000 Inverse: 0.0196||51.1000 Inverse: 0.0196||51.1000 Inverse: 0.0196||50.9500 Inverse: 0.0196||50.8800 Inverse: 0.0197||50.8700 Inverse: 0.0197||50.8700 Inverse: 0.0197|
US Dollar to the Gambian Dalasi for the last 10 months
|Apr 2019||May 2019||Jun 2019||Jul 2019||Aug 2019||Sep 2019||Oct 2019||Nov 2019||Dec 2019||Jan 2020|
|1 USD =||49.5850 Inverse: 0.0202||49.6500 Inverse: 0.0201||49.6000 Inverse: 0.0202||49.9575 Inverse: 0.0200||50.1050 Inverse: 0.0200||50.3950 Inverse: 0.0198||50.7500 Inverse: 0.0197||51.3000 Inverse: 0.0195||51.4300 Inverse: 0.0194||51.1000 Inverse: 0.0196|
US Dollar to the Gambian Dalasi for the last 10 years
|Feb 2010||Feb 2011||Feb 2012||Feb 2013||Feb 2014||Feb 2015||Feb 2016||Feb 2017||Feb 2018||Feb 2019|
|1 USD =||26.7780 Inverse: 0.0373||28.2561 Inverse: 0.0354||30.2515 Inverse: 0.0331||33.6822 Inverse: 0.0297||38.0777 Inverse: 0.0263||43.0447 Inverse: 0.0232||39.4102 Inverse: 0.0254||44.5300 Inverse: 0.0225||47.5175 Inverse: 0.0210||49.5550 Inverse: 0.0202|
Market rate for common transfer amounts USD to GMD
|US Dollars (USD)||Gambian Dalasi (GMD)|
Ask an Expert