Adrienne Fuller is the publisher for money transfers and also the head of publishing at Finder. With a decade of experience creating guides in finance and education, she aims to deliver the accurate and transparent information she wishes she had when she made some of life's important financial decisions. She has a BA from Colorado College and when she's not helping folks save money, she's hiking with her two Catahoulas around her home in San Diego.
US Dollar to Gambian Dalasi Exchange Rate
Refreshing in: 60s | Wed, 22 May 02:54am GMT
- Cheap transfers
- Bank-beating exchange rates
- Safe and reliable
Historical Rate chart of USD and GMD
Our pick: WorldRemit International Money Transfers
Send money to 140+ countries for bank deposit, instant e-wallet, mobile top-up or cash pickup at 30,000+ agent locations worldwide.
Your first transfer is free with the code FINDER.
- Low upfront fees and exchange rates.
- Easy to use with round-the-clock help.
- Get cash to family and friends in minutes.
Get the best exchange rate between the US dollar and Gambian dalasi?
To get the best exchange rate between the US dollar and Gambian dalasi you need to be aware of what the mid-market exchange rate is.
When sending money to Gambia, or perhaps making a purchase in the country, online money transfer services are often the most efficient option because:
- Exchange rates are much closer to the mid-market rate when compared to traditional banks
- Transaction is generally processed faster
- Fees are low and competitive
Travelers to Ghana should bring US dollars in cash and exchange currencies once in the country. There are several foreign exchange bureaus in the capital city that’ll gladly accept US dollars for Gambian dalasi.
|Bank notes:||$1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100|
|Coins:||1c, 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c|
|Bank notes:||5, 10, 20, 25, 50, 100, 200 dalasis|
|Coins:||1, 5, 10, 25, 50 bututs, 1 dalasi|
What affects exchange rates between the US dollar and the Gambian dalasi?
The exchange rate between the Gambian dalasi and the US dollar is currently managed by the Gambian Central Bank and isn’t affected by any external factors. However, a problem for Gambian authorities is that they’re spending huge amounts of foreign currency reserves to maintain the peg.
The central bank would longer be able to maintain the currency peg and could be forced to either devalue the currency or scrap the peg policy altogether if the economic situation in Gambia worsened by any drastic changes in the following:
- Interest rates in either country
- Balance of trade between the two countries
- Employment levels and economic developments in Gambia
- Sharp fluctuations in the value of the US dollar against other major currencies
Send money from USD to GMD
How does the Gambian dalasi trade against the US dollar historically?
Several different peg policies have been in place over the years to try to control the sharp fluctuations in the value of the dalasi compared to the US dollar and other currencies. In 2013, the Gambian government also introduced strict controls on foreign currency exchange, leading to a sharp drop in the value of the dalasi compared to the US dollar.
- Since 2008, the value of the Gambian dalasi has been in continuous decline compared to the US dollar. From a high during the financial crisis in 2008 of about 20 dalasi to 1 dollar, the value quickly dropped to 26 per dollar in the beginning of 2009.
- Between 2009 and 2011, the exchange rate between the dalasi and dollar remained relatively stable at around 26 dalasi per dollar.
- At the end of 2011, a new and long period of decline for the dalasi started when the dalasi moved from a value of about 26 per dollar to almost 45 per dollar in 2014. During these years, the exchange rate of the dalasi was also subject to several government-initiated revaluations.
US Dollar to the Gambian Dalasi for the last 10 days
|May 12||May 13||May 14||May 15||May 16||May 17||May 18||May 19||May 20||May 21|
|1 USD =||49.6000 Inverse: 0.0202||49.5000 Inverse: 0.0202||49.5525 Inverse: 0.0202||49.6025 Inverse: 0.0202||49.6000 Inverse: 0.0202||49.5500 Inverse: 0.0202||49.5500 Inverse: 0.0202||49.5500 Inverse: 0.0202||49.6225 Inverse: 0.0202||49.5725 Inverse: 0.0202|
US Dollar to the Gambian Dalasi for the last 10 months
|Jul 2018||Aug 2018||Sep 2018||Oct 2018||Nov 2018||Dec 2018||Jan 2019||Feb 2019||Mar 2019||Apr 2019|
|1 USD =||48.0500 Inverse: 0.0208||48.1125 Inverse: 0.0208||48.8000 Inverse: 0.0205||49.4000 Inverse: 0.0202||49.5150 Inverse: 0.0202||49.3500 Inverse: 0.0203||49.5600 Inverse: 0.0202||49.5550 Inverse: 0.0202||49.6850 Inverse: 0.0201||49.6300 Inverse: 0.0201|
US Dollar to the Gambian Dalasi for the last 10 years
|May 2009||May 2010||May 2011||May 2012||May 2013||May 2014||May 2015||May 2016||May 2017||May 2018|
|1 USD =||26.7708 Inverse: 0.0374||26.9827 Inverse: 0.0371||27.4561 Inverse: 0.0364||30.5101 Inverse: 0.0328||32.9972 Inverse: 0.0303||39.6300 Inverse: 0.0252||42.9980 Inverse: 0.0233||42.7786 Inverse: 0.0234||46.1000 Inverse: 0.0217||47.1950 Inverse: 0.0212|
Market rate for common transfer amounts USD to GMD
|US Dollars (USD)||Gambian Dalasi (GMD)|
US International Money Transfers OffersImportant Information*
Ask an Expert