Please note: High-cost short-term credit is unsuitable for sustained borrowing over long periods and would be expensive as a means of longer-term borrowing.
Oakam short-term loans review
Oakam offers loans of up to £1,750 repaid over 3, 6 or 12 months, for short-term financial emergencies. Oakam also rewards loyalty and what it calls "positive credit behaviour" with access to larger, longer loans, better rates and Oakam Grow points.
Oakam is a direct lender, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. It was launched in 2006 after its founder, Frederic Nze, recognised that lower income customers were unable to access affordable and convenient credit. Its aim was to bring simple and transparent financial services to those overlooked by traditional banking institutions.
Oakam has high street stores across London and the Midlands, and also offers a complete online service.
Key features of an Oakam loan:
|Oakam Loan||Oakam Lift Loan|
|How much could I borrow?||£200-£1,750||£2,000-£5,000|
|For how long?||From 3 to 12 months||24 months|
|Ways to apply||Online, by phone or in-store||Online, by phone or in-store|
|Minimum monthly income required to apply?||£400 (via benefits, salary or self-employment)||£700 (via salary, or self-employment)|
|What are the benefits of the loan?|
|Residency requirements||Resident in the UK for at least 6 months||Resident in the UK for at least 6 months|
Oakam believes you shouldn’t be barred from accessing a loan simply because your credit history is less than perfect. You can build a more positive credit record with Oakam if you make repayments on time and in full, which can make your financial future feel much brighter.
How do Oakam loans compare against other lenders’?
If you’ve used the Oakam site to get a quote and want to see if you’re getting a good deal, find out how much a comparable loan is likely to cost you from some popular short-term lenders:
We compare payday/short-term loans from
How does a short term loan from Oakam work?
- You can apply for a loan from Oakam online, by phone or by going in to one of its high street stores.
- Choose how much you want to borrow for and the length of term you wish to pay it back in.
- Complete the simple online application form, providing your contact details and monthly income and expenditures.
- You don’t need a good credit rating, and can even be on benefits, new to the UK or have a CCJ to be considered. However, a credit and identity check will be performed and a customer advisor may call you to discuss your personal financial circumstances and affordability in more detail.
- Once you have been approved, if you have applied before 4pm, the money will be deposited into your bank account the same day.
How do I pay back my loan?
Oakam uses a Continuous Payment Authority (CPA) to collect the repayments from your bank account on your chosen dates. Alternatively you can pay by cash at one of the Oakam stores.
What is a Continuous Payment Authority (CPA)?
CPA’s differ from a direct debit because you give the company being paid permission to withdraw money from your account whenever they wish, and to take payments of different amounts without consulting you. Most short term lenders like Oakam will use a CPA to collect your repayments. You can cancel this at any point by either consulting with the lender or your bank, but if you do that you’ll need to make alternative arrangements to ensure you make payments on time..
What are the eligibility requirements?
You should only apply for an Oakam loan if you are certain you can meet the repayment terms. You must also:
In some cases you may also need to provide:
Unlike many short-term lenders, Oakam considers customers with a bad credit rating or previous CCJ.
- Have been turned down for credit before
- Have recently moved to the UK
- Are self employed
- Had CCJs in the past
- In debt management
- Bankrupt or have an IVA
Additional borrowing options
- If you have had an Oakam loan for at least 60 days, and are up to date with your payments, you can apply for a “top-up”. This will be offered at a lower interest rate. If approved, your current loan will be closed and you will be issued with a new loan agreement to include the additional money you borrow. You are only allowed to apply for 2 top-ups while you have an existing balance.
Did you know?In 2015 the Financial Conduct authority (FCA) capped interest and fees on all high-cost short-term credit loans at 0.8% per day.
They additionally capped all default charges at £15 and the total cost (interest, fees) of loans at 100% of the original sum. This means you’ll never have to pay more than double the amount borrowed.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
Sites like Oakam for short-term instalment loans
Oakam offers straightforward instalment loans of up to £1,750 to those who struggle to borrow from banks. Browse alternative lenders and compare live rates.