Please note: High-cost short-term credit is unsuitable for sustained borrowing over long periods and would be expensive as a means of longer-term borrowing.
H&T Finance short-term loans review
H&T Finance can help you deal with an unexpected cash shortfall with a fast, flexible loan of up to £1,000 to be repaid in instalments of between 3 and 24 months.
Best known as a high street pawnbroker, H&T Finance opened its first shop in London in 1897. With 181 stores across the country, it is now firmly established as the UK’s largest pawnbrokers. However, following a sharp drop in the price of gold in 2012 which saw many pawnbrokers close, H&T Finance decided to branch out into the fast-growing area of unsecured short-term loans. H&T Finance has developed a complete online service to complement its in-store offering, so now you can bridge a shortfall without handing over your family heirlooms!
Unlike many “payday” loan companies which will simply lend you a lump sum until your payday, H&T Finance allows you to repay loans in weekly, fortnightly, monthly or four-weekly instalments over a period of up to 24 months. Spreading repayment over longer periods can make each instalment more manageable, but pushes up the overall cost of the loan.
H&T Finance is a direct lender authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Key features of loans from H&T Finance
- Borrow over 3-24 months. Make affordable repayments in weekly, fortnightly, monthly or four-weekly instalments to match up with your payday.
- Loans of between £100 and £1,000. Apply online and have the money deposited straight into your bank account. Alternatively, visit your local branch and fill out the application in person.
- Flexible, high rates. Interest rates can vary greatly between in-store and online loans, and can also be affected by a factors including the results of credit checks.
- Simple application. Fill out the simple online application form in around 30 minutes and save the hassle of paperwork. H&T may give you a call to discuss your application.
- Early repayment. H&T Finance allows you to repay any amount of your loan at any time. Doing this is recommended if you can afford to do so as it will save you money in interest.
- No hidden charges or fees. H&T will not charge you a fee if you are late with your repayment, although you will have to pay extra interest as you’re effectively borrowing part of the money for longer than expected. Late repayments will also adversely affect your credit record. Always speak to an advisor if you run into difficulty with your repayments as missing one will affect your credit rating.
How do H&T Finance loans compare against the competition?
Use the table below to find out how much a comparable loan is likely to cost you from some popular short-term lenders:
We compare payday/short-term loans from
Is high-cost, short-term borrowing a good idea?
High-cost, short-term loans should only ever be used for occasional, urgent financial needs and are not a good idea for sustained or longer-term borrowing. They are a very expensive form of borrowing and should only be considered as a last resort.
Before you apply for a short-term loan, make sure you have considered other options. Is the expenditure that you are planning for absolutely essential? If you can defer a purchase then you could save yourself money in the long run. If you are struggling to pay a utility bill, then try talking to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan. Read more about alternatives to short-term loans at moneyadviceservice.org.uk.
How does an H&T Finance short-term loan work?
- Choose the loan amount and repayment term that you require and feel is affordable, then click the “apply now” button.
- Complete the online application form, or do this in person if you are applying in a branch.
- Depending on the content of your application, an advisor may give you a call to discuss it. This is to make sure the loan is affordable for you.
- If approved, you will be sent the documents relating to the loan. This gives you the opportunity to fully understand the cost of the loan and other relevant information before proceeding. You can electronically sign the contract and the funds will be sent straight to your bank.
Like most short-term loan providers, H&T uses a Continuous Payment Authority (CPA) to collect your repayments on the instalment dates you have chosen. You can also choose to repay any amount of your loan at any time through a bank transfer.
What is a Continuous Payment Authority (CPA)?With a CPA you give a company permission to withdraw money from your account on a regular basis.
CPA’s differ from a direct debit because they give the company being paid the ability to withdraw money from your account whenever they wish, and to take payments of different amounts without consulting you. Most payday loan companies will use a CPA to collect your repayments, however you can cancel this at any point by either consulting with the lender or your bank.
Who is eligible for an H&T Finance loan?
You should only apply for an H&T Finance loan if you are certain you can meet the repayment terms. To be eligible, you must also:
- Be aged 18 or over
- Have a stable income of at least £750 per month
- Be a UK resident
- Have a bank account that accepts Direct Debits and faster payments
- Agree to a credit check being carried out
- Agree to make repayments by Direct Debit on your instalment dates
Frequently Asked Questions
Read more on this topic
Wollit loans review July 2020 Wollit offers account top-ups for workers who don't earn a stable income. See how it works in our review.
SteadyPay loans review July 2020 SteadyPay is a subscription-based credit provider that aims to help those without a steady income.
Conduit short term loans review Conduit offers short term loans from £200 to £1,500. See how you can apply today.
Buffa short term loans review Buffa offers quick and easy short term loans, but with high rates and limited terms.
Updraft loans Updraft lets you avoid the cost of expensive overdraft fees by giving you a low cost loan when you overdraw on your bank account or credit card.
Uploan short term loans A "big sister" company to the better-known Peachy, Uploan offers small loans over terms of up to a year, to cover one-off expenses.
Overdraft statistics We find out how often Brits are going overdrawn in the UK and how new regulations are set to shake up the industry.
Loans like Credio Credio was a popular source of short-term credit online until the lender stopped issuing loans in 2018.
Cheque cashing If you need to cash a cheque, it can take three days to clear it with a bank. Cheque cashing services give you immediate access to your money.
Lending Stream loan calculator Considering a short term loan from Lending Stream? Use our calculator to work out how much it could cost you plus how much you could save by repaying early.