London Airbnb statistics
How has Airbnb grown in the UK’s capital?
Founded in 2008, Airbnb has become a very popular accommodation option for travellers all over the world. The platform also allows homeowners to make some extra cash by renting out a room or property to visitors, and this is certainly the case in London where many homeowners rent out rooms to help support their mortage.
The growth of Airbnb in London
In London, there are currently 69,000 Airbnb listings. The number of Airbnb listings in London has fallen by 21% since 2020 and has not reached pre-pandemic levels. In 2020, the number of Airbnbs in the capital reached 87,000.
Since 2015, Airbnb listings in London have increased by 276%, going from 18,000 to 69,000 in 2022.
|Month and year||Listings|
What type of properties in London are available on Airbnb?
6 in 10 (59%) of available Airbnbs in London are listed as entire homes/apartments, which totals over 41,000 separate listings. Followed by private rooms (40%), these make up the 99% of entire Airbnb listings in London. There are 404 shared rooms (0.6%) and 244 hotel rooms (0.4%) listed on Airbnb in London.
The number of Airbnb listings by London borough
In London, Westminster has the highest number of Airbnbs (7,763). Followed by Tower Hamlets (5,595) and Hackney (5,168). Sutton (286) had the fewest Airbnb listings of all boroughs followed by Bexley (411) and Havering (329).
|London Borough||Amount of Airbnb listings|
|Kensington and Chelsea||4,612|
|Hammersmith and Fulham||2,996|
|Richmond upon Thames||1,108|
|Kingston upon Thames||609|
|Barking and Dagenham||433|
What is the minimum length of stay in London Airbnbs?
With London being a popular destination for short-term city breaks, this is reflected by the length of minimum nights required by Airbnb hosts. 20,000 listings have a minimum stay of 1 night for a booking, whereas 17,000 listings have a minimum stay of 2 nights. Of all total listings, over half of these (53%) have a minimum stay of just 1 or 2 nights.
Overall, only 4,800 listings (7%) have a minimum stay of 14 nights (2 weeks), with just over 2,000 listings requiring a booking that is a month (30 days) or longer.
|Minimum stays||London listings|
How many Airbnb hosts are there in London?
Over half of Airbnbs (54%) in London are by hosts with a single listing (38,000). Interestingly followed by over 11,000 listings are by hosts with 10 or more registered listings, showing that Airbnb is a popular method of earning income, with 46% of hosts having multiple listings (2 or more).
|Listings per host||Total listings|
Average Airbnb occupancy in London
The average Airbnb in London is occupied approximately 11% of the year, which is roughly 40 days. The borough with the highest occupancy rate is Hillingdon, where the average Airbnb listing is taken around 17% of the year, probably as a result of its closeness to Heathrow Airport. The borough with the lowest occupancy rate is Bexley, at 7%.
In 2022, the average Airbnb occupancy in London has been 74% (January – September). With March 2022 seeing full occupancy (100%).
|Dates||Occupancy Rate (%)|
Click here for more research. For all media enquiries, please contact:
More guides on Finder
UK house prices: Expert predictions
We look at what is happening with UK house prices, including expert predictions for the future and whether there will be a market crash.
Bank of England interest rate predictions
Some of the UK’s brightest minds in economics and property share their interest rate predictions ahead of the next Bank of England base rate meeting.
Mortgage statistics: The average UK mortgage size, payments and debt
From the average house price to how many outstanding mortgages there are, we explore all the latest mortgage statistics in the UK.
DIY conveyancing: Learn how to do your own conveyancing
Detailed guide to DIY conveyancing, including what checks you need to make, the searches you need to carry out and when you’re better off employing a professional.
Rent to Own – Wales scheme: Explained
Struggling to scrape the money together for a mortgage deposit? Rent to Own – Wales might be the scheme for you.
Starter Homes scheme: Everything you should know
Looking to get yourself on the property ladder? The Starter Homes scheme could be just the ticket.
Home Ownership for People with Long-Term Disabilities (HOLD)
Find out how HOLD works and how to apply.
How to buy your own castle
Ever thought about living in a castle? It might not be as expensive or difficult as you might think.
How mortgage retention works
Learn everything you need to know about mortgage retention.
Buying a council house and the Right to Buy scheme
How the Right to Buy scheme works.