CFD Trading Statistics
What are the latest statistics on CFD trading?
CFD stands for “Contracts for Difference” and this type of trading allows you to trade on the price movements of financial instruments such as shares, indices, commodities and currencies. We’ve dived into the latest statistics to give you the rundown on the CFD market.
- Almost 280,000 customers traded CFD products each month in 2017.
- There are 100 different FCA-authorised specialist CFD providers.
- FCA analysis revealed that 82% of CFD customers lose money.
- The average loss when trading these products is £2,200.
- New FCA regulations are predicted to save consumers between £267 million and £451 million per year.
We looked into the latest statistics to see how many providers of CFD trading there are and just how many customers are using them.
- In 2017, there were around 100 FCA-authorised specialist CFD providers.
- On average, 279,000 retail client accounts traded CFDs each month in 2017.
- There are over 800,000 CFD-funded retail client accounts.
- The sum value of holdings in these accounts is over £1.5 billion.
The FCA recently published new regulations relating to the CFD market. This is after recent research suggested that over 80% of CFD clients lose money when trading these products.
- FCA analysis revealed that 82% of CFD clients lose money.
- The average loss amounts to £2,200 when trading these products.
- New measures are expected to save retail consumers between £267 million and £451 million per year.
24 hours in CFDs
Like most trading, trading CFDs is all about predicting risers and fallers. However, with CFDs, traders are often looking at much shorter time frames, with many traders only holding their positions for a matter of weeks, days or even minutes before selling. We looked at the biggest risers and fallers in the stock CFD market over the last 24 hours to see just how much can change in a short period of time.
24-hour risers and fallers
Over the last 24 hours, more than half of the top 10 performing CFDs on stocks rose by 5% or more, with the biggest change being a 16.1% increase in just 24 hours. Meanwhile, the biggest faller fell by 9.42% in the same time window, with 5 of the top 10 fallers dropping by 3% or more.
Data retrieved 07/08/2019
Click here for more research. For all media enquiries, please contact:
Check out our eToro promo codes and special offers to see if you can grab a bargain. Read more…
We look at how Revolut's share trading feature works, how much it costs and how it compares with other investing platforms. Read more…
US investing app Robinhood has arrived in the UK, see how it works and how you can get access now. Read more…
We take a closer look at evestor, which allows investors to get started from £1. Read more…
Ever wondered how to buy shares in Nvidia? We explain how and compare a range of providers that can give you access to many brands, including Nvidia. Read more…
Like the name suggests, Wealthsimple aims to simplify wealth-building for its customers. Find out how it works in our review. Read more…
Ask an Expert