Towergate Insurance caravan insurance review
Here's our analysis of static and touring caravan insurance from Towergate Insurance. The specialist says you'll pay only for what you need. Use our review to see what's covered and compare policies.
Whether you’ve got a touring caravan or a static caravan, you’ll want to protect your investment. Towergate Insurance has been arranging caravan cover for more than 40 years. It says that all its caravan policies include protection against fire, theft, storm and malicious damage, give customers the option from new for old or market value cover, as well as £1,000 of contents cover. Here’s what else we think you should know.
Who is Towergate Insurance?
Towergate Insurance is a specialist insurance provider that started in 1997. It has since bought up more than 300 specialist insurers and arranges a range of policies, including static and touring caravan, car, boat, travel, home, landlord and commercial vehicle insurance.
While Towergate Insurance does have a broker division that works with a number of insurers for other policies, its caravan insurance is provided directly by Towergate Underwriting Group Ltd.
Towergate Insurance is a trading name of Towergate Underwriting Group Ltd.
What types of caravan insurance are available?
- Towergate’s touring caravan insurance. This is relevant for anyone towing a caravan on the roads for leisure. This is not a legal requirement but worth considering to keep a caravan protected whilst being towed.
- Towergate’s static caravan insurance. This type of insurance is best suited to a caravan that is permanently fixed in one place. Although this not a legal requirement, most holiday parks will require a basic level of protection in the form of caravan liability insurance. At the time of writing, a £40 Amazon gift voucher will be offered to anyone purchasing this policy over the phone, subject to underwriting acceptance and terms and conditions. The offer expires on 31 December 2018.
What is covered under my Towergate Insurance policy?
- Public liability cover
- Accidental damage while towing
- Theft or attempted theft
- Flood and storm cover
- Loss of use
- Cover for policyholder and any family member to tower caravan
- Public liability
- Accidental damage
- Fire cover
- Flood and storm cover
- Theft cover
- Loss of use
Check your policy details carefully to ensure you have the right cover for your needs.
Towergate Insurance offers extras you can bolt onto your touring caravan policy, including:
- Legal expenses
- Key protection
- Excess protection
- No-claims bonus protection
- Extended accidental cover for caravan when not being towed
- European cover
- Add drivers not in the policyholder’s family
Compare Towergate insurance policies
Here are Towergate insurance policies, so you can compare between the two.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Towergate Insurance has some general exclusions that apply:
- Mobile phones and laptops and other electronic devices are not covered
- You will not be covered if you hire out your caravan or use it for a business venture if your policy is for leisure use only
- General wear and tear is not covered
- Tyres are not covered
Check your policy for further details to confirm your cover is valid.
How to save on your caravan insurance policy through Towergate Insurance
- Increase security. Fit security alarms and immobilisers to further deter thieves. Fitting a security camera or tracking device may also be a good idea.
- Increase the excess. Agreeing to pay a bigger voluntary excess could make your overall premium cheaper. But remember that your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than your excess. So be careful about making it too high, as it could leave you out of pocket if damage occurs.
What is my excess?
Your insurance excess is the amount of money you have to pay towards a claim. Your insurer won’t pay out for a claim that costs less than this amount.
A voluntary excess is normally an amount set by you when taking out a policy. You’ll have the option of adding or increasing a voluntary excess, which could in turn reduce your premium.
Meanwhile, a compulsory excess amount might vary depending on the age and standard of your caravan or your driving experience.
You’ll find details about any compulsory or voluntary excesses in your policy document.
What is the claims process for Towergate Insurance?
You can call the Towergate Insurance caravan claims line on 0344 982 1416 to make a claim. This claims line is open weekdays only between 9am-5pm (9am-3.45pm on the first Friday of each month). Alternatively, you can email email@example.com.
You’ll need to have your insurance policy details, as well as all facts about any incident to hand.
It’s important that you let your insurer know about an incident as soon as possible, even if it’s not your fault. A delay in reporting an incident or failure to report it could result in a rejected claim later on.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Chrysler Ypsilon insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Chrysler Ypsilon falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Lotus Elise insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Lotus Elise falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot RCZ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot RCZ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Sedona insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Sedona falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot 407 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot 407 falls under and how much it costs to insure.