Touring caravan insurance
Planning a trip? Find out how to compare insurance for your touring caravan.
Caravanning remains a classic British pastime, and there are now over 550,000 touring caravans in the UK, according to the NCC. If you like to spend your holiday out on the road, see how touring caravan insurance works and what to look out for.
Why do I need touring caravan insurance?
While it’s not a legal requirement to get insurance for your touring caravan, it can help cover you in the event your caravan is damaged, destroyed or stolen. Some caravans can cost up to £70,000, so it’s important to know you’ll be protected from expensive repairs or replacement costs.
What does touring caravan insurance cover?
Touring caravan insurance can protect you from the following:
- Third-party liability
- Fire, storm or flood damage
- Accidental damage
- Contents cover
- Equipment cover
- Overseas travel
Your existing car insurance should cover against any damage your caravan causes to another vehicle, person or property during an accident.
How much does it cost to insure a touring caravan?
This depends on the level of cover you require as well as any optional extras you include in your policy. The age, model and size of your caravan will also help determine the cost of your insurance premiums.
How can I lower my insurance premium?
The following are some of the ways you can reduce the cost of your caravan insurance premium:
- Increase your excess. The excess is the amount you have to pay when making a claim. Many insurers will let you increase the size of your excess and, in return, will reduce the size of your insurance premiums.
- Build a no claims bonus. If you don’t make a claim on your policy for a certain period of time, you may receive a no claims bonus, which gives you a discount on the cost of your insurance.
- Improve your security. By installing alarms, cameras or wheel locks on your caravan, you reduce the risk of theft, which means you’ll likely pay less for your insurance. You should also store your caravan in a secure location to prevent any damage or theft when it’s not in use.
How can I get the best touring caravan insurance?
The best touring caravan insurance is one that provides the right level of cover with affordable premiums. Popular caravan insurance policies include the following:
- Saga caravan insurance
- Caravan Guard caravan insurance
- Towergate caravan insurance
- Lifesure caravan insurance
Things to look out for when choosing a static caravan insurance policy
- Consider your options. You should always compare a range of policies and providers to find the insurance that best suits your needs.
- Getting the right level of cover. If you’re looking to protect your caravan from different types of damage, you’ll have to choose a policy with comprehensive cover or the option to add extra protection.