Static caravan insurance
Make sure your holiday home is covered with static caravan insurance.
There are currently over 360,000 static caravans in the UK, and if you’re one of the many British families with a caravan holiday home, you may want to consider getting cover.
Use our guide to see if you need static caravan insurance and what to look out for when comparing policies.
Why do I need static caravan insurance?
Static caravan insurance offers year-round protection for your holiday home and any valuables you keep inside it. As your caravan is likely to be unoccupied for most of the year, insurance can help protect you from any loss or damage incurred when your caravan isn’t being used. It’s not a legal requirement to get static caravan insurance, but it offers peace of mind when it comes to your home away from home.
What does static caravan insurance cover?
Static caravan insurance can cover against any fire, theft and accidental damage caused to your caravan. In this way, static caravan insurance is more like home insurance and is designed to protect both the structure itself, as well as the items you keep inside it.
If you just want to cover the belongings or valuables you keep in the caravan, you may want to consider personal possessions insurance.
What kinds of caravans are covered?
Static caravan insurance covers structures that are permanently fixed in place and cannot be towed. Static caravans are generally sturdier and heavier than touring caravans and are often installed at camping sites, caravan parks or holiday parks.
If you have a touring caravan or another type of mobile caravan, you’ll want to consider another type of insurance.
How to get the best static caravan insurance
You can find the static caravan insurance that’s best for you by comparing a range of options. Some popular static caravan insurance policies are:
- Tesco static caravan insurance
- Lifesure static caravan insurance
- Coast static caravan insurance
- Saga static caravan insurance
- Towergate static caravan insurance
- Leisuredays static caravan insurance
Static caravan insurance exclusions
The following will generally not be covered by your static caravan insurance:
- Normal wear and tear
- Vermin and insect damage
- Business use
- Damage due to a lack of security
How can I lower my insurance premium?
- Increase your excess. You can reduce the size of your premiums by opting to pay a voluntary excess in the event you need to make an insurance claim.
- Build your no-claim bonus. Insurers will often reward discounts to customers who don’t make a claim after a certain period of time. This is called a no-claim bonus and can help reduce the cost of insurance dramatically.
- Get the right level of cover. Depending on the value of your caravan, you may want to get comprehensive cover against any type of damage to avoid costly repairs. If your caravan is kept in an area that’s unlikely to flood, or has a low risk of theft, it may not be worth getting insurance to cover for these things.
Things to look out for when choosing a static caravan insurance policy
- Make sure you’re getting the right type of policy. If your caravan is towed, you’ll need to get touring caravan insurance as taking it on the road may put it at more risk of being damaged.
- Check your possessions are not already covered. Some home contents insurance policies may already offer cover for the items you have in your static caravan. If you have existing contents or personal possessions insurance, check if you’re covered before taking out static caravan insurance.
- Potential discounts. If you’re part of a caravan club, or keep your caravan at a site that is registered with CaSSOA, you may be eligible for discounted insurance.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
The 7 best stock trading apps and platforms in the UK
We’ve taken a look at some of the best trading apps in the UK and explained who they’re best suited to. Our table compares fees and services too.
Saab 9-3 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Saab 9-3 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Mitsubishi ASX insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mitsubishi ASX falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Porsche Cayman insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Porsche Cayman falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Porsche 911 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Porsche 911 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Frequently asked questions about Finder Credit Score
Find answers to any questions about your credit score and report.
Mazda 5 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Mazda 5 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Jeep Cherokee insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Jeep Cherokee falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Soul insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Soul falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Kia Venga insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Kia Venga falls under and how much it costs to insure.