Car insurance for 18-year-olds
Find out the average cost of car insurance for an 18-year-old based on the specific model version and the driver's location.
If you’re 18 years old, it’s going to be well worth your time searching for the best car insurance deal. That’s because car insurance policies for 18-year-olds are going to be eye-wateringly expensive. As such, the difference between the best deal and an average one could total hundreds of pounds. This guide on car insurance for 18-year-olds will make it easier for you to locate the best deal.
Why is car insurance more expensive for 18-year-olds?
Car insurance companies use several factors to calculate the likelihood of a customer making a claim on their policy, and the customer’s age is one of the most prominent of these factors. The amount of years since they last made a claim is another one.
The youngest drivers are historically the most likely to make a claim, and they will not yet have had the opportunity to build a no-claim bonus.
That’s why they’ll pay more for car insurance than older drivers.
What types of insurance are available to 18-year-olds?
The main types of car insurance are: comprehensive, third-party fire and theft, or third-party only. These are available to 18-year-olds, just as they are to all ages.
However, younger drivers may also be able to add telematics to their car insurance policy to lower the cost of their premium.
With a telematics car insurance policy, the driver will add a “black box” to their vehicle, which tracks your driving and reports its findings back to the insurer. This way, safe drivers have a way of proving that they can be trusted not to make a claim.
However, if you’re proven to be an unsafe driver, your premium could rise.
Cheapest cars to insure for an 18-year-old
In this table, you’ll discover the cheapest cars to insure for the average 18-year-old.
|Ford Fiesta||1.1L Zetec Ti-VCT 5dr||18||£1915||Get Quote|
|SEAT Ibiza||1.0 TSI XCELLENCE 5dr||18||£2142||Get Quote|
|Hyundai i10||1.0 Se 5dr Hatchback||18||£1734||Get Quote|
|Volkswagen Polo||1.2 S 5d||18||£1676||Get Quote|
|Toyota Aygo||1.0 VVT-i X-Press 5dr||18||£2090||Get Quote|
|Peugeot 108||1.2 PureTech Allure 5dr Petrol Hatchback||18||£2234||Get Quote|
|Citroen C1||1.2 PureTech Flair 5dr||18||£1984||Get Quote|
|Skoda Fabia||1.0 MPI 75 Colour Edition 5dr||18||£1794||Get Quote|
|Dacia Sandero||1.0 SCe Ambiance 5dr||18||£1854||Get Quote|
|Vauxhall Corsa||1.4i ecoTEC Design 5dr||18||£1976||Get Quote|
|Vauxhall Adam||ENERGISED 1.2 3dr||18||£2190||Get Quote|
|Kia Rio||1.0 T-GDi 2 5dr||18||£2090||Get Quote|
|Renault Twingo||0.9 TCE Iconic 5dr||18||£2090||Get Quote|
|Ford KA||1.2 85 Zetec 5dr||18||£1794||Get Quote|
|Volkswagen UP||1.0i Up 5dr||18||£1915||Get Quote|
Average insurance cost for an 18-year-old
To provide you with an idea of how much it may cost for an 18-year-old to insure a car, we ran several quotes to find an average figure. Based on our results, we suspect an 18-year-old could insure their car with a comprehensive policy for an annual sum of 2090.
Average insurance cost for an 18-year-old by location
There are a large range of factors that affect the cost of your car insurance premium, one of the biggest being your location.
To show the potential impact of an 18-year-old’s postcode, here are some average quotes for an 18-year-old living in three different locations. The quotes are for a Citroen 1.0i VT 5d.
- Cheap: 1457 (Truro, TR8)
- Average: 1794 (Chester, CH1)
- Expensive: 2223 (London, E10)
Compare specialist car insurance for 18-year-olds
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What other costs are involved in getting your first car?
As if raising the cash to insure their car wasn’t enough, 18-year-olds will also need to make sure they have the money available to cover the following costs.
- Petrol. You’ll need to keep the petrol tank full.
- Car tax. The amount you’ll pay is based on your choice of vehicle, its emissions and when it was registered. It’s also known as vehicle excise duty.
- MOT. Once your vehicle is more than three years old, you’ll need to pay for an MOT test every year. In this test, a licensed mechanic will check that the vehicle meets the minimum legal standards for road safety and environmental friendliness.
- Servicing and maintenance. As a vehicle ages, you’ll inevitably have to pay for maintenance. Your MOT test will identify what maintenance jobs are required.
- Repairs. If your car needs repairs, you can make a claim on your insurance, so your insurer funds the costs. However, as this impacts your no-claim bonus, you might prefer to front cheaper repairs yourself.
How can 18 year-olds save on their car insurance?
- Choose a cheaper car. Cheaper cars cost less to replace or repair when damaged or stolen. That’s why they typically cost less to insure.
- Add a named driver. If you add a more experienced driver onto your policy, insurers will often reduce your premium.
- Take your “Pass Plus” course. This course teaches newly-qualified motorists how to navigate more advanced aspects of driving, including driving on the motorway or at night. You’ll get a certificate for completing the course, and a lot of insurers will offer a discount on your premium as a reward.
- Increase your voluntary excess. Most insurers will cut your premium if you agree to cover more of your insurer’s potential costs with a larger excess.
- Add additional safety measures. By installing extra safety measures, you reduce the likelihood of making a claim on your car insurance. That’s why most insurers are happy to reduce your premium when you do so.
- Avoid unnecessary modifications. Teenagers tend to be among the biggest fans of unnecessary modifications such as a spoiler or an expensive sound system. Sadly, these can send your premium skyrocketing, so they should be avoided if you’re trying to keep costs down.
The bottom line
Buying car insurance can be daunting for an 18-year-old, but it doesn’t have to break the bank. Using the tips in this guide, most teenagers will be able to find an affordable car insurance policy.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Car insurance for 20-year-olds
Find out the average cost of car insurance for a 20 year old and how to save on your premiums.
Car insurance for 19-year-olds
Find out how much car insurance costs for a 19 year old.
Car insurance for 17-year-olds
Find out the average cost of car insurance for a 17-year-old, the cheapest cars to insure and how to cut down your insurance premium as a young driver.
Best car insurance for young drivers in the UK right now
We’ve compared and rated the best car insurance for young drivers on a number of specific policy features and benefits that are relevant to younger drivers.
Cheapest car insurance for young drivers
read our guide to getting the cheapest car insurance deal possible as a younger driver. Plus compare car insurance quotes from some of the cheapest companies.
Cheapest car insurance for new drivers
A good car insurance policy doesn’t have to be expensive, even for new drivers. Compare cheap beginner car insurance quotes and start saving today.
Buying your first car
Looking to buy your first car? Find out everything from financing it to getting car insurance.
Pass Plus Scheme
Discover more about the Pass Plus Scheme and find out if it could save you money on your car insurance.
Car insurance for your first car
Have you just bought your first car? Read our guide and learn how to save on car insurance premiums for new drivers.
Ask an Expert