What is NFU Mutual?
NFU Mutual started out insuring the farming community more than 100 years ago and now covers many other areas, including motor, home, business and equine insurance. It’s a mutual organisation, meaning it’s owned by and run for its 900,000-plus members, rather than any shareholders.
As well as providing insurance, NFU Mutual also offers financial planning and risk management services.
What company underwrites NFU Mutual business insurance?
NFU Mutual’s insurance policies are underwritten by its own 400-strong team of underwriters. NFU Mutual is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority.
What types of business insurance policies are available?
NFU Mutual offers flexible policies for a range of professionals and businesses, including accountants, butchers, caterers, estate managers, events organisers, farmers, florists, greengrocers, hairdressers, manufacturers, motor traders, landlords, retailers, solicitors, surgeons, tradesmen and wholesalers.
Cover will vary according to the needs of your business, but the main policy elements on offer from NFU Mutual business insurance include the following:
- Public liability insurance. Whether you have your own premises or not, public liability cover protects you in case a member of the public is injured or their property is damaged and your business is legally liable. For example, if someone trips over some of your equipment or is injured in your workspace.
- Employers’ liability insurance. If you employ staff, you are legally required to take out employers’ liability insurance to protect your employees, as well as yourself in case of legal action.
- Professional indemnity insurance. Indemnity insurance protects you in case a client sues for alleged poor service or advice.
- Product liability insurance. If you sell products or use them in your work, product liability insurance protects you in case one of these causes harm to a customer or their property.
- Office insurance. This cover protects your business’s premises, including most damage to furnishings, fixtures and fittings.
What does NFU Mutual business insurance cover?
NFU Mutual offers different flexible combinations depending on your needs, so your exact specifications will be personal to you. Employers’ liability, public liability and product liability come as standard – here are some of the main components:
- Up to £2.5 million public liability cover (or you can choose higher limits).
- Up to £10 million employers’ liability cover for legal costs, compensation and expenses (but higher limits are available).
- Up to £500,000 office cover to protect your business premises, contents and stock against damage caused by common risks such as fire, flood, storm or escape of water.
- Up to £5,000 cover for loss or theft of money on your premises during business hours (including money in transit to the bank or while in a safe on your premises overnight).
- Up to £250,000 legal expenses cover, plus a specialist lawyer to advise and support you.
Other additional business protection options offered by NFU Mutual include:
Commercial vehicle insurance
- Fleet: New car replacement, cover for fitted audio, in-vehicle entertainment and navigation equipment, and a replacement lock service if your keys are stolen.
- Truck: Cover for any unnamed driver over 25, for attached and detached trailers, and motor legal protection with legal advice and cover of legal costs up to £100,000.
- Van: Up to £500 to replace any lost, damaged or stolen tools in a locked vehicle, courtesy car for up to 14 days, and new vehicle replacement.
Business protection (in partnership with AIG UK)
- Shareholder protection. Shareholder protection cover pays out a lump sum that can help business owner(s) to buy the insured shareholder’s interest in the firm if they die or are diagnosed with a terminal illness during the term of cover.
- Partnership protection. Partnership protection cover pays out a lump sum to help buy out a partner’s interest in the business if they die or are diagnosed with a terminal illness during the term of cover.
How much cover do I need?
What type of business insurance and how much cover you need will depend on what you do. Here are a few things to consider:
- How many employees do you have?
- Do you deal with members of the public?
- Do you have dedicated business premises? Do you own or rent these?
- How much equipment and tools do you have and how expensive are they?
- Do you use or sell products?
- Do you own or lease vehicles (including vans)?
- Do you work in public spaces?
- Do you store stock?
- Do you provide financial advice?
How much does business cover from NFU Mutual cost?
The cost of insurance is an individual thing and depends on a number of personal factors. For business insurance, things like the industry, size and nature of your business all affect your premium. The type and level of cover you take out will also make a big difference to the price of your policy.
What is the claims process for NFU Mutual business insurance?
If it’s an emergency and you can’t trade from your business premises or your business is unable to function, call 0800 282 652 and use option 5.
When you take out the insurance, you’ll be given a local agent who will support you through the claims process. Contact them at your local agency office with the following information:
- Your policy number
- Details of any third parties involved
- An indication of the value of the claim, such as purchase price, estimated replacement cost, or the extent of damage or injury
NFU Mutual business insurance customer reviews
Given its size, and the fact that it has 900,000+ members, NFU Mutual doesn’t have many reviews written about it online. On customer review platform Trustpilot, NFU Mutual as a company – not just as a business insurer – has a rating of 2.2 out of 5 stars, based on around 220 reviews.
Many customers love the hands-on service, but quite a few complained about the price of premiums.
Pros and cons for NFU Mutual business insurance
- Flexible policies for a range of professionals and businesses
- Over 300 local offices offering personal, tailored care
- No cancellation, mid-term or direct-debit fees on any of the insurance policies
- No email or live chat for quick contact – you have to contact the local agency office
- No online quotes available
- Can be a little difficult to navigate around
NFU Mutual is very much about local presence and personal service, and if you’re happy having a local agent as your main contact rather than going online, then it’s worth considering NFU Mutual business insurance. The cover is comprehensive and flexible for a range of professionals and businesses. Compare all your other business insurance policies first though before you make your final decision.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Volvo V60 insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volvo V60 falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Chrysler Ypsilon insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Chrysler Ypsilon falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Bora insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Bora falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Skoda Roomster insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Skoda Roomster falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Peugeot RCZ insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Peugeot RCZ falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Smart Fortwo insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Smart Fortwo falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Toyota Supra insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Toyota Supra falls under and how much it costs to insure.
MG TF insurance group
Find out which insurance group the MG TF falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Nissan Pulsar insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Nissan Pulsar falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Volkswagen Caddy insurance group
Find out which insurance group the Volkswagen Caddy falls under and how much it costs to insure.
Ask an Expert