Tomo Credit Card review
Earn 1% cash back on this credit card without needing a credit history.
finder.com’s rating: 4.3 / 5
- Get this card if you want to build credit while earning cash back, but you don’t have a credit score.
- Pick something else if you want a card you can eventually upgrade to a stronger rewards card.
- Apply with no credit history or with any credit score.
Up to 1%
New to credit
Recommended credit score
Kliment Dukovski is a cryptocurrency and investments writer who has written over 700 articles to help readers find and compare the best financial options. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange and stock market trading.
The Tomo Credit Card — issued by Community Federal Saving Bank — is designed for anyone with no credit history who wants to start building their credit and earn unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases. Instead of gauging your credit score, Tomo determines your eligibility based on your financial history. This is also what impacts your credit limit, which can be as low as $100 or as high as $10,000. This isn’t bad, considering you can get the card with no credit history and with no security deposit to guarantee you’ll pay off your debt.
But you have to connect your bank account via Plaid. This is so Tomo can analyze your history before approval and deduct funds from your account to pay off your credit card balance after approval.
Because you can’t carry your balance, the card doesn’t have a 0% intro APR period on purchases or balance transfers. It also doesn’t have a signup bonus of any kind. Given you can get the card with no credit history, not having a signup bonus or a 0% intro APR period is a perfectly acceptable tradeoff.
Overall, if you’re looking to get an unsecured cashback card for building credit, theTomo Credit Card should be on your radar.
How to apply for the Tomo Credit Card
The application process is slightly different than what you find with most other credit cards. You can apply for the Tomo card by doing the following.:
- Select Apply now.
- Enter your email and click See if I’m pre-approved.
- Enter your age and answer whether you have an SSN and if you’re a student.
- Provide your total income and combined account balances and click Submit application.
- You will see your preapproved credit limit next.
- Enter your phone number and Tomo will contact you when your application is ready.
Tomo Credit Card benefits
- No credit history required. There are no credit score requirements to apply for the card. You can apply and get approval with no credit history.
- Potentially high credit limit. Depending on your finances, you can get an unsecured credit limit between $100 and $10,000.
- Build credit. Tomo reports your activity to all three major credit bureaus — Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. With responsible use, you can quickly build your credit score.
- Cash back. Earn unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases.
- Foreigners can apply. Foreigners who have an ITIN can apply for the card.
Tomo Credit Card drawbacks
- Can’t carry your balance. The card doesn’t have interest rates because you can’t carry your balance from month to month. You have to pay your entire balance on time on a weekly basis. If you don’t, you won’t be able to use the card until you pay it all.
- No 0% intro APR period. Because the card doesn’t let you carry your balance, there’s no 0% intro APR possibility. But this is a solid tradeoff for the chance to get an excellent cashback card without a credit history.
- No signup bonus. Most cashback cards let you earn a bonus when you sign up. Unfortunately, there’s no such option with this card.
Compare other credit cards
Select up to four credit cards and select Compare to see how the other credit cards stack up to the competition and find the best card that suits you.
Tomo card customer reviews and complaints
Tomo is still a relatively new credit card on the market and hasn’t gathered many notable customer reviews yet based on our research. However, Tomocredit is now accredited with the Better Business Bureau and has a B rating as of September 2021.
Tomo credit’s rating on Trustpilot is 2.8, though they’ve not yet claimed their account as of September 2021.
The Tomo Credit Card is part of the new-age credit cards that weigh in other factors like financial history instead of just credit score. Because of that, you can apply with no credit history and get a credit limit between $100 and $10,000. On the downside, you can’t carry your balance from month to month. If this card isn’t right for you, consider comparing secured cards to start building credit.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.