Instant online quotes with almost any driving record accepted.
- Get a quote if you need coverage for a high-risk driver
- Pick something else if you’re looking for add-ons and discounts
- Most bikers can get coverage, including those who need an SR-22
|States served||43 states (available everywhere except Alaska Delaware Hawaii New Hampshire Montana Vermont Wyoming)|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
- SR-22 coverage and assistance
- Instant online access
- 24/7 claims
- Mobile app
- Basic coverage
- Few discounts
- Not available in every state
- Lack of website information
What motorcycle insurance coverage does The General offer?
The General provides basic coverage to get you on the road. The draw of The General is getting the minimum coverage you need to stay on the road without paying extra for special perks or add-ons.
- Liability. Cover damages to personal property or bodily injuries resulting from an accident where you’re at fault.
- Collision. Pay for damages to your motorcycle related to an accident.
- Comprehensive. Protect your motorcycle from non-collision accident situations, such as theft, hail or falling tree branches.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist. Take care of expenses when an at-fault driver doesn’t have enough insurance to cover damages.
- Medical payments. Protect you and your passengers from medical bills related to an accident.
- Personal injury protection. Get expensive medical bills covered as well as income loss, no matter who’s at fault. This coverage applies in no-fault states.
- SR-22 coverage. The General offers coverage to high-risk drivers who may not find insurance elsewhere.
What discounts can I get with The General?
The General doesn’t include many discount options. However, you can save money by paying your policy in full. Pay your 4-, 6- or 12-month policy premium up front to get this discount.
Pros and cons of The General motorcycle insurance
- SR-22 and high-risk drivers accepted. The General serves the high-risk driving crowd, including drivers who need an SR-22.
- Instant online access. Access your proof of insurance as soon as you apply for coverage online.
- Mobile claims filing. Report an accident on the spot, directly from your mobile phone.
- Lack of website information. The General doesn’t include any information about its motorcycle coverage on its website. Your policy will be underwritten by Dairyland, its partner company.
- Basic coverage only. This company keeps a no-frills standard of coverage.
- Few discounts. You won’t find many ways to save on your premium.
- Not in every state. The General offers coverage to 46 states. States not covered include Hawaii, Massachusetts, Michigan and New Jersey.
How to apply for The General motorcycle insurance
You can apply for motorcycle insurance online or through a local agent.
- Go to The General’s main website.
- Enter your zip code and choose Motorcycle from the dropdown. Click Start my quote, then click Get a quote on the next page. You’ll be redirected to the Dairyland website.
- Enter your personal information, motorcycle details and driver information.
- Confirm eligibility for discounts, choose coverage and retrieve your quote.
- Finalize your information, enter payment details and confirm coverage.
Local agent. Look up an agent near you from The General’s agent locator page, or call the local number listed at the top of your online quotes page.
Phone. Ask policy questions by calling 844-328-0306.
What info do I need to apply?
Keep this information on hand during the application process:
- Personal information, including your home address, phone number and email
- Driver’s or motorcycle license number
- Motorcycle details — such as make, model and license plate number
- Driving history
- Coverage requirements
- Payment information
How to make a claim with The General
The General makes claims reporting quick and convenient with its mobile app and phone claims service.
- Mobile app. Use this method to enter accident details and take pictures directly on the scene, or at your convenience.
- Phone. Call a claims rep at 800-280-1466 and choose option 3 to report a claim, 24/7.
Alternatives to The General
The General provides no-frills coverage to high-risk drivers. However, competitors may offer additional coverage and discounts for the average rider seeking more benefits.
Compare motorcycle insurance providers to find the best choice for you.