Synchrony HOME™ Credit Card review
Get cash back on smaller purchases.
- Get this card if you’re planning to make large purchases at home improvement stores.
- Pick something else if you want better rewards.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Up to 2%
6 month promo on purchases over $299, then 29.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
|Welcome Offer||12-60 months promotional financing on qualifying purchases at thousands of participating Synchrony HOME locations, with a revert APR of 29.99% on your promotional balance if not paid off during the promo period|
|Rewards||2% cash back on purchases under $299|
|Purchase APR||6 month promo on purchases over $299, then 29.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
The Synchrony HOME™ Credit Card comes with a $0 annual fee, a 2% cash back on purchases under $299 and six months of 0% promotional financing for purchases over $299 at more than a million locations nationwide. Plus, you get promotional financing between 18 and 60 months on qualifying purchases at participating HOME locations.
But beware — pay your balance before the promotional financing period is up or you’ll pay interest accrued from the moment you made your purchase. And this is an expensive one, a 29.99% variable APR on purchases.
Because of that, the Synchrony HOME™ Credit Card can be worth considering if you want to make a large purchase at one of the participating home improvement stores and pay it off without interest in up to 60 months. Just make sure to pay the balance before the promo period ends.
How to apply for the Synchrony HOME™ Credit Card
- Visit the Synchrony HOME™ Credit Card website.
- Click Apply now.
- Fill out the application form with personal information, such as your SSN, address and income.
- Review your application and submit.
Synchrony HOME™ Credit Card benefits
- Cash back. Earning 2% back on all purchases under $299 at participating retailers is a solid rewards rate. In fact, it’s above the industry standard of 1.5% offered by popular flat-rate cashback credit cards.
- Promotional financing. An excellent feature that lets you carry your balance without interest for up to 60 months on qualifying purchases if paid on time. This can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars on interest payments.
- No annual fee. You get to earn cash back or save money on interest without paying an annual fee for the card.
What to watch out for
- Carrying your balance can be costly. The promotional financing is a great feature, but it comes with a huge downside — fail to pay your balance on time and you’ll pay $29.99 APR accrued from the day you make your purchase. This is charged retroactively and can end up costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars depending on the purchase and the length of the promotional period.
- Not a standard credit card. This is not a Mastercard, Visa or American Express, meaning you can’t use it to buy groceries or gas. You can only use the card at participating retailers, such as American Mattress, Carpet One, Big Sandy Home Furnishings and more.
- Can’t make cash advances. Since the Synchrony HOME™ Credit Card is not a standard credit card, it doesn’t allow you to make cash advances of any kind, including cash withdrawals from an ATM.
Compare intro APR credit cards
If you’re renovating and you need to make a large purchase with 0% interest rates, the Synchrony HOME™ Credit Card could be a solid option. You get up to 60 months of promotional financing on qualifying purchases. But if you don’t pay it off on time, you’ll pay high interest that’s accrued from the date you made the purchase.
If you think there’s a better choice than the Synchrony HOME™ Credit Card for your wallet, compare other cards with 0% intro APR period on purchases for up to 20 months.